Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

well that's done then :(

Ricky's mistake is that he came out too fast, for 3-4 rounds it looked like Hatton was back, but after i think round 6 you could just see that something was wrong, Shenchenko couldn't miss and all of Hatton and Bob Shannon's talk of defence was down the toilet. The shot that dropped him was an absolute pearl though, Hatton got 'Hatton'd'.

Very sad end to what was a decent fight, if it had gone to the score cards i think we were maybe looking at draw but he just couldn't reach the end.

Malignaggi summed it up at the end saying that Hatton simply picked the wrong opponent, he should have come back a level lower and looked for an easy win, no one would have moaned if he had.

The post-fight Hatton interview was very uncomfortable too, i don't think they were right to interview him like that with people crowding and the most punchable looking fucking schmuck pulling faces behind Hatton whilst he was in tears, it was all very hard to watch for me as a fan.

• Paid Members

Yeah it was a good scrap all in all.

Hatton got off to a promising start. The talk of fighting a more intelligent style, using angles etc went right down the shitter quick though didn't it. It was the same old bulldozing Hatton. Up to round 4 it worked but he just couldn't keep that up for 10 rounds. From round 5 on he was dead on his feet. It was always a risk with the layoff and ring rust.

To add to that Hatton missing so many shots didn't help his stamina either. After round 5 he was looking for a one shot finish just to get him out of there.

After a few rounds I actually said to my mate that Senchenko's body shots were working. He landed a couple in the mid rounds and Hatton recoiled and reacted every time. It's a good weapon to use on someone who's been out for a long time. The resistance to the body shots is something you have to build up and maintain over years and Hatton's time away and going up and down in weight will have softened his durability to body shots.

Gutted to see him lying there at the end.

The post-fight Hatton interview was very uncomfortable too, i don't think they were right to interview him like that with people crowding and the most punchable looking fucking schmuck pulling faces behind Hatton whilst he was in tears, it was all very hard to watch for me as a fan.

Yeah it was hard to watch.

The stream I watched had Carl Froch and Duke McKenzie banging on that he needs professional help and hinting that he's going to go mental now. I know Hatton's suffered from depression in the past but fucks sake give the man a break. Of course he's going to look and sound crushed just minutes after he lost his comeback fight in his hometown. Doesn't mean he's looking up nooses on Ebay or anything. Obviously he'll need his family to look out for him but it's not the place of Froch and McKenzie to be talking like that immediately after the fight in my opinion.

Give him a couple of days to look at things calmly and then see how he's sounding before declaring him on suicide watch or something. Christ.

I'm really looking forward to Berto vs Guerrero later. Hopefully wash the negative feeling of Hatton's loss away.

I will write more tomorrow, but the when the count was about to 5 I turned to my old man and said "lets get the fuck out of here" The atmosphere was something very special, I could not hear Buffer or the intros.

The whole place was willing him to get back up so loud, by about 5 it was clear he was done.

I got there at 7pm, saw 4 fights and 4 finishes, not bad. But the highlights were his ring walk and the opening rounds when he looked good, I have never been in a arena so loud and I have been to UFC, WWE and multiple gigs/festivals. Hatton was fading later, but I had him 2 rounds up, but its hard to judge as I was in the cheap seats, and one round I was distracted as two knuckledraggers were fighting in the block next to me.

The low point was my bumbling father forgetting where we parked which lead to him leading me astray for 20 mins in the piss rain.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

It's for the best. He sounds a bit more positive there.

He's got fuck all to be ashamed about. He's had a great career and will go down as probably the most popular British boxer ever. He's got his kids, a gorgeous girlfriend, millions in the bank. And perhaps most importantly right now, he's got his promotional work to be getting on with which he didn't have after he lost to Pacquiao. That will keep him busy and keep him involved in the sport.

The end has to come some time. He should be given credit for coming back when the odds were all against him and picking a tough opponent for his return. He could have, and probably should have, taken an easy fight tonight and built himself back up gradually.

Everyone's naturally focusing on the negatives but he did have a fucking incredible career. The Kostya Tszyu fight was one of the most memorable and amazing nights in British boxing history. Thousands of Brits were following him to the US whenever he fought there. He fought the two best fighters of this generation. He's come back after over 3 years away, overcame his addiction problems, got himself back in shape and had a go. It didn't work but at least he got to fight one last time in his hometown and knowing he gave 100%. Hopefully it's out of his system now and he can move on with his life.

I got there at 7pm, saw 4 fights and 4 finishes, not bad. But the highlights were his ring walk and the opening rounds when he looked good, I have never been in a arena so loud and I have been to UFC, WWE and multiple gigs/festivals.

At least you got to see Hatton's last fight, you can always say that at least. I really wish I'd gone now. I'm skint with my Canada trip planned and Christmas coming up so decided against it. Now my Dad tells me he would have lent me the money. Yeah, now it's too late. I could have gone to see Hatton's last fight. I'll regret that, it was one of my to-do's. Bastard Dads.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Guerrero vs Berto was a cracking fight. Dirty and messy as fuck but enjoyable to watch all the same.

Couldn't have been a worse start for Berto with the two 10-8 rounds going against him plus his eye being swollen shut. But he fought through it and it turned into a great battle. Really exciting scrappy fight, both fought hard. Guerrero won for sure but I think he made harder work of it than he needed to to be honest. With Berto's eye closed shut and Guerrero's boxing skill I think he'd have won a lot easier if he just stayed at range and picked him off, popping jabs and straight lefts at his eye all night. Berto couldn't see shit. But Guerrero chose to fight in close and ate a shitload of vicious uppercuts. Why play that game if you don't have to? It made for a better fight though.

Berto deserves major credit for the way he went for it in the 12th. Both do but Berto had no eyes for fucks sake.

Must say though, that ref was shit. Didn't seem like he had a clue what was going on or where he was meant to be at any point. Then to top it off the bell rings at the end of the 12th and Guerrero threw about 5 or 6 extra punches after the bell. Where was the ref? Shite.

Guerrero wants the Mayweather fight next then. I think that's likely. At this point I've given up on Floyd vs Manny, Floyd vs Guerrero could be decent. Although I don't see Guerrero having much chance at all it could be good.

Anyway, great fight. One of the best of 2012 for me.

Berto Vs Guerrero tonight... watch it, enough said.

Yeah or this.

Edited by wandshogun09

That Berto/Guerrero bout was excellent. Well worth seeing if anyone hasn't already.

Having just caught up with some fights from the past few weeks, the Jonathan Banks/Seth Mitchell bout from the Broner undercard is well worth seeing as well. Short and sweet.

• Paid Members

Anyone been watching Pacquiao-Marquez 24/7? First 2 have been good, especially considering they must be pretty much out of things left to talk about with these 2 at this stage. Really enjoying it.

I can't link to them now but they're both on Youtube. Episode 1 goes over the first 3 fights, episode 2 is worth seeing for Pacquiao's gangnam dance alone.

Only drawback with 24/7 is I always get that fucking intro music stuck in my head for days for some reason.

At least you got to see Hatton's last fight, you can always say that at least.

Waking up today that is how I am looking at it.

I think your overview of his career summed it up.

I was going to go to the Manchester Stadium fight in 2008 but things fell through, so I guess I am very lucky. I have never seen Manchester Stadium so packed, people really do love him.

He seems okay now as well, there was a quote last night on the The Sun's website where he said he was "happy" I hope he goes on to be a good trainer.

Only thing that is a shame is that I was all set to go see Hatton vs Khan next year. That will remain a fantasy match-up I guess.

• Paid Members

Guerrero-Berto was an absolute war, just 12 savage rounds, loved it.

I can't believe the ref. scored the first knockdown as a knockdown, Guerrero was clearly holding and hitting but the ref let it go. After the 2nd knockdown and the busted eye i thought Berto was done, but he knuckled down and worked his way back into it, he allowed Guerrero to push him against the ropes which is probably why the scorecards seemed a little wide but Berto was throwing some fucking vicious shit on the insinde.

at Wand, i dunno if you saw the post match interview, but Guerrero says he decided to fight on the inside because he couldn't see out of his right eye.

Rounds 7 + 12 were amongst the best of the year.

I'd like to see it again, Guerrero seems to be aiming for Mayweather but if that falls apart im all for a rematch.