Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

ive just started reading Johnny Nelson's book and that there's stuff in there about Graham, same camp and stuff. I love reading the books then going back and visiting the stuff in the books. I'll read Graham's next, cheers man.

• Paid Members

Yeah I do that. I like going back and rewatching fights after reading the behind the scenes and aftermath stuff from the boxers themselves. I've got a bunch of boxing books I wanna get soon. Herol Graham's is top of my list, and I wanna get the new Alexis Arguello book, Leonard's, McGuigan's, Frank 'Allegedly' Warren's and that Life & Crimes of Don King book. Might pick up Johnny Nelson's book at some point too if it's any good.Did anyone watch the Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr fights on Five last night? Good performances from both i thought. I like Galahad, he's a cocky little fucker but he carries it well I reckon, his voice sounds so much like Naseem's as well. Thought Eubank Jr looked good considering how much experience he was giving up to Matthews. Showed signs of some real skill at times although there were clearly things he needs work on especially defensively. I agreed 100% with what Al Bernstein said after though. They need to be careful with Eubank. He looks promising but they're walking a thin line with him matching him up with tough opposition right off the bat. There's always the risk that they're moving him along too fast and if they don't get his skills up to par at the same rate then they could fuck it up for him. It's commendable that he's not taking an easy route but it's a risky game to play all the same.I like him though, he's got a more exciting style to watch than his dad (in the ring at least). Then again that might have to change when he steps up further. What's people's thoughts on Eubank Jr?edit - oh yeah and Eubank Sr needs to bring back the lisp. Get that shit reversed, that new whistly 'S' is annoying as fuck. He should never have got rid of the lisp anyway, it was a big part of his charm. Eubank without the lisp is wrong.

Edited by wandshogun09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biFqbGXMc2U...player_embedded

Bradley vs Pac Man Face to Face.

I am looking forward to this, I hope Pac wins so maybe finally we can get the Floyd fight, but I can see why people think Bradley may have taken this fight at the right time. A few years ago after the Cotto and Hatton destruction jobs, I would have not battered a eyelid at this fight, I would favor Pac.

However, after Marquez almost beating Pac, and some thinking he actually did this makes for a compelling fight. Bradley is no slouch and unlike Marquez, Clottey and Mosley he is in his Prime and not damaged goods. We will find out if Marquez was a bad style match up or has Manny lost a step.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Bradley's not got the name recognition of Hatton, De La Hoya, Mosley etc but like you say he's in his prime and he's got skills. Not a fight to take lightly.I'm still favouring Pacman though. I defo had Marquez winning their last fight I put it down to Marquez just being tricky for Pacman more than him losing a step but we'll see. I've seen people saying that if Manny beats Bradley but looks unimpressive then Floyd will suddenly get the fight made. But I dunno, I think it's Arum holding it up and if Manny looks to have lost a step Arum will be even more determined to block the fight imo.I truly believe that if it was 100% up to Floyd and Manny then this fight would have happened already. All the obstacles with money and drug tests could have been resolved imo if Arum was out of the picture. He doesn't want it. He makes more money doing what he's doing than if he had to promote and pay for a fight like Floyd/Pac. Plus the big risk of his cash cow losing.

I blame Arum as well.I think he is milking his cash cow for all its worth. A loss to Floyd may result in a hole in Arum's pocket. Not that anyone cares though, we fight fans want the 2 best guys in the world and of their generation to fight. It is only right, as both of them clearly wants it, their legacy depends on it to a extent, there will always be a asterix next to both if they do not fight soon as both are reaching a stage where they are past their best.Mosley should have never got that payday with Pac, neither should have Clottey. Both were wastes of time for a man of Manny's talent. Floyd at least fought Mosley before it was clear he was seriously past it. I can understand why Floyd opted to fight Cotto as well, despite Cotto losing to Pac, he was still a dangerous fighter near his prime. No one rated Mosley by the time he faced Pac.Arum has put some right easy matches Pac's way the past few years. Marquez I bet they felt would be easy after the way Floyd handled him and his advanced age. This is why I am looking forward to Bradley so much, finally a match that on paper involves Pac testing himself. The only fighter I would not mind seeing against Floyd other than Pac is Khan, after Bradley I cannot see anyone else for Pac either.

• Paid Members

I dunno why Pac even bothers with Arum these days. He doesn't need him, he could do what De La Hoya did, promote his own fights and cut out the middle man and make even more money. You're right there's not a whole lot of obvious fights to make for either of them apart from each other now. Khan would be good to see he's got the kind of style and speed that would make both fights entertaining although I don't think he'd beat either of them, There is Sergio Martinez if they could agree on the right weight. And Saul Alvarez who I think in a year or so could be the next big star of boxing in a position to fight either of them. But will Floyd and Manny even be still fighting 2 years from now? But yeah Arum's a shady, greedy old cunt.

• Paid Members

Did anyone watch the Kid Galahad and Eubank Jr fights on Five last night? Good performances from both i thought. I like Galahad, he's a cocky little fucker but he carries it well I reckon, his voice sounds so much like Naseem's as well.

yeh, enjoyed it. Galahad is basically Nas minus the devastating punching power, but hes got that cocky swagger that means he's gonna sell tickets and he seems game to fight the guys above him. Well impressed with Channel 5's coverage again too, so much better than Boxnation's coverage.

I have heard mumblings on Eastside boxing that Manny's contract with Arum is up later in the year, if that is true there is hope if he leaves and like Oscar promotes himself or signs with Golden Boy.Boxing is not about belts these days its about legacy and if Floyd or Pac beat one another, the one that wins will be seen as one of if not the greatest of all time. Most still rate Leonard over both due to Leonard fighting whoever whenever.

• Paid Members

I just watched Herol Graham vs Julian Jackson from 1990. I'd never seen it before but heard a lot about it so I finally gave it a watch.

i'm very much learning about boxing, im in the know about today's boxing but im constantly learning about older stuff. Julian Jackson is a name i constantly come across, i think i first became aware of the name when i was looking up discussion on pound for pound power punchers, Jackson is always towards the top of them kinds of lists. I've started to compile a small collection of his fights too, im gonna have to have a night in with them soon.

He's brought an autobiography out recently that I'm defo gonna pick up soon. 51XIpGNkDyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg'Bomber: Behind The Laughter. It's meant to be really good from what I've heard. He's had an up and down life since he left the ring, battled with depression and even cut his wrists. He seems more sorted out now though fortunately.

Graham was on Michael Vaughan's show Life After Sport last week talking about this. Here is his interview:

• Paid Members

i'm very much learning about boxing, im in the know about today's boxing but im constantly learning about older stuff. Julian Jackson is a name i constantly come across, i think i first became aware of the name when i was looking up discussion on pound for pound power punchers, Jackson is always towards the top of them kinds of lists. I've started to compile a small collection of his fights too, im gonna have to have a night in with them soon.

Yeah I haven't seen a whole lot of him but from what I have seen and read Jackson's thought of as one of the hardest hitters around from that time. And he carried his power up from light middle to middleweight too. If you look at his record you can probably count the number of decisions he had on one hand. Aside from the Graham KO he gave Gerald McClellan one of his toughest fights the first time they fought. Looking back I always wished we got a Jackson vs Benn fight in the early 90s. Fireworks.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that link Magnum, interesting stuff. It's good to see he's getting himself back on track these days. Boxer's have a fucking tough life, people look at Mayweather throwing money about and say 'I'd get knocked out by Tyson for that kind of money' but they don't realize the hard work that goes into it. Guys like Floyd are rare. Most boxers don't make a fraction of that money and work just as hard. And like Graham said in that video, it's gotta be a lonely feeling when its all gone and all the clingers on abandon you. We've seen it with a few boxers Graham, Ricky Hatton, Frank Bruno, even Nigel Benn tired to kill himself once. And sadly its a very rare case that a boxer can walk away from the sport with enough money to live on and their health intact.I think I'll pick up Bomber's book this week. Fascinating story.

Edited by wandshogun09

Been away for a few days and not menaing to dig up old discussions but you say Khan is a serious contender at 25? Hamed was king of the world at 25!'Momma's Boy' is a good Boxing book, make me have a lot more respect for Lennox Lewis

Khan a bigger star than Naz... when did this become the comedy thread?I still remain unsure about Kid Galahad. Yeah, he is a good domestic fighter, even a possible European Champion but is he better than Scott Quigg? Or Rendall Munroe? Or Kiko Martinez? And these guys are not even in the top 10 of the world. Someone like Nishioka would destroy him. Yes, you can say he has only had 12 fights but he is now WBC champion and these are the next steps (with the exception of Nishioka who is at least 2 years away).Everyone has an opinion on Haye Vs Chisora, I just hope it is a good fight, Haye wins convincingly and thats the end. Povetkin vs Rahman is a good undercard but if the Burns Vs Mitchell gets confirmed, as was the rumour, that fight is as good a reason to go as any. Maybe the karma of it will off set all the bollocks of this being 'bad for boxing'.On a side note, does anyone know if next weekends A-Farce fight is getting picked up by any channel? I watched it from the start

• Paid Members

was wondering whether Parcel-Force had got on TV, looks like it isnt on.You think the fact that the Haye/Chisora sanctioning debacle will harm any chance of Burns/Mitchell taking place? i wanna see that fight though.