Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I had to say, the fight bored me despite all that happened. So much clinching and Mcphilibin is the most one dimensional fighter I have seen since Rogan. As for Enzo, he has never been the same since the Haye loss. I genuinely think Cleverly would destroy him.

What the fuck was that shit? Mcphilibin should have that overturned to an NC, because if they hadnt cut the first round 40 odd seconds short, enzo would have been KOed severely. Corruption at its worst, he better get nowhere near cleverly!

gutted I didnt watch Premier Sports instead, check this peach out http://youtu.be/e6zKWQVENB8

It wasnt corruption, it was ineptitude of the highest degree on the time keepers part but there is no cloak and dagger here unlike the Khan fight (still reckon Khan lost the fight and when he shows a degree of humility and accepts his shortcomings may be accepted and adored by the british public).

I agree there should be a re-match and believe Enzo will give it to him as well.

• Paid Members

what a crazy fight! There has to be some kind of explanation for what went down in the first round, that was just insanity. I remember something similar happening in Danny Williams fight a few years back in Germany. I just don't see how a time keeper can mess that up?

I enjoyed the fight though cause of the craziness, i think Enzo has to grant McPhilbin a rematch, do that fight then get out of the game. The ease at which McPhilbin knocked Enzo down was just wrong, as Buncey said the 2nd round was just scary, just waiting for him to be put out. Gotta give Enzo credit for coming back and showing character but despite still having a decent skillset and clearly being a class above McPhilbin he's gotta hang em up.

There's no way he should fight Nathan Cleverly.

The Gavin Rees seems to have thrown under the radar though (which also happened friday), try getting on that...great wee fight, tear up in Paris.

what a crazy fight! There has to be some kind of explanation for what went down in the first round, that was just insanity. I remember something similar happening in Danny Williams fight a few years back in Germany. I just don't see how a time keeper can mess that up?

Have a look who the promoter of the fight is, and then you'll see.

But seriously as much as I love Enzo he has absolutely no business being in the ring anymore. I've seen him knocked out horribly in person 3 times (Haye, Afolabi, Frenkel) and against anyone other than McPhilbin, who with the greatest of respect is DREADFUL it would have been the same on Friday. In fact it probably should have been the same anyway if the timing was correct.

• Paid Members

Yeah I was at the Frenkel fight aswell. He really shouldn't be in there anymore, it's hard to watch.

Anyone see the Morales/Garcia and Kirkland/Molina fights last night?

The Kirkland/Molina fight ending was surrounded in controversy. Molina got DQ'd at the end of the 10th because his cornerman got in the ring as he was being counted after a knockdown. I had Molina well ahead on the scorecards at the time even with the knockdown. Crazy. The cornerman fucked up big time there.

What was up with Boxing and controversy this weekend? And Morales missed weight just to add to it.

I thought Morales gave a pretty good showing and I had the fight pretty much neck and neck until the last couple of rounds. But Garcia pulled ahead them last 2 rounds and the knockdown sealed the deal for him. I felt the right man won but fuck me what were the judges smoking? They had it for Garcia by a wide margin, like 9-3 or something silly.

Despite a good effort thought, I was a bit sad to see Morales in there looking old and a bit soft. I'd like to see him call it a day now, he had a decent last run of fights. The war with Maidana, and looking pretty good against Cano and Limond. He didn't embarrass himself last night and I think it would be a good time to bow out.

The Garcia fight was interesting as the mandatory challenger for the title is our own (well Nigerian but Olympic representation means nothing as long as they win, right Lennox!) Ajose Olusegun. He is still 30 and 0 and one hell of a talented fighter (the way he took apart Ali Chebah proved that) but he can't draw a penny and makes me think he will be overlooked again. I hope I am wrong on that front through.

The Molina fight, however, was a screw job of the highest degree. The only people callling for a DQ were the Golden Boy team and much worse has happened with no such outcome (Mayweather/Judah anyone?). If there is no rematch I hope that seriously over rated Kirkland gets his 'wish' and is put in there with Sergio Martinez as he would kill him!

What the fuck was that shit? Mcphilibin should have that overturned to an NC, because if they hadnt cut the first round 40 odd seconds short, enzo would have been KOed severely. Corruption at its worst, he better get nowhere near cleverly!

gutted I didnt watch Premier Sports instead, check this peach out http://youtu.be/e6zKWQVENB8

It wasnt corruption, it was ineptitude of the highest degree on the time keepers part but there is no cloak and dagger here unlike the Khan fight (still reckon Khan lost the fight and when he shows a degree of humility and accepts his shortcomings may be accepted and adored by the british public).

I agree there should be a re-match and believe Enzo will give it to him as well.

Would the round have one short had it been mcphilibin on the canvas? probably not! enzo will likely win the rematch, fight clverly and then hopefully retire

id like to see choi tseveenpurev pick up a proper title before he retires, or at least get a shot.

• Paid Members

Just seen this on Amazon, it's coming out this week (the 28th)

51xIOuTEG6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beloved Warrior: The Rise and Fall of Alexis Arguello

Didn't even know this was coming out, it's written by Christian Guidice who also wrote the cracking 'Hands of Stone' book on Roberto Duran. This could be a great book, I'll be picking it up this week I reckon.

RIP Bert Sugar

Oh boy, thats a whole chunk of Boxing knowlege and history gone.

Its a shame none of his knowledge of boxing was ever recorded in any way... oh wait...

nah but seriously, i dint like him but I respected him. RIP

• Paid Members

i only just found out cause i was trying to avoid the Morales result, sad news :(

I think Sugar '14 Greatest Rounds of Boxing' book was the first boxing book i bought. Loved him on the old EPSN Ringside show too, RIP.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's sad to hear, didn't always agree with his views but I always enjoyed listening to him either way. Great storyteller and a big character. Sad loss for Boxing.

One thing that always bugged me though. Did he ever actually light that cigar that was always in his mouth, or was it just there like Razor Ramon's toothpick?

Loved this quote from HBO's site

He liked few things more than to pull up a bar stool and regale friends and strangers alike with tall tales and recollections, frequently convulsing in laughter as he did so.

Often, during such sessions, he would pause, look at the drink in front of him and observe, "I have always said: I would rather be a good liver than have one." And that he certainly was. His was a life well-lived, and his was a presence that will be much missed.

RIP

• Paid Members

Just seen this. Andrew Golota vs Riddick Bowe 3? Possibly an MMA fight? What the fuck?

Andrew Golota has signed a contract to fight Riddick Bowe - TokFM radio reported. This means that the popular "Andrew" will soon return to the ring. This will be the third fight of the boxers.

In an interview with Orange Sport Golota confirmed this information. - This will be my third fight with Bowe. I do not know yet whether it be wrestling or maybe MMA - explained, "Andrew".

Information about the fight on the radio gave Michael Brill of SMG Europe. The same agency was involved in organizing the fight against Tomasz Adamek of Vitali Klitschko. - O h. 3:00 am completed negotiations on a third clash Golota-Bowe - said the X Days of the Warsaw Sports Marketing, Michael Brill.

Andrew Golota measured twice to Riddick Bowe. Pole was twice close to victory, but each time was disqualified because his rival hit below the belt. In the second match ran clear to score points.

Golota was the last time he fought in the professional ring with Tomasz Adamek in 2009. Then he lost by technical knockout in the fifth round. Riddick Bowe was the last time he fought in 2008. His opponent was Gene Pukall, whom he defeated on points. American is a former world champion WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO.

There are as yet unknown details of the contract. We know only that the duel will take place this year. It is not yet clear the exact date and place.

This has gotta be some sick April fools joke surely?

original source here (the above is what Google translated from it)

http://sport.onet.pl/boks/andrzej-golota-w...,wiadomosc.html

Early prediction has gotta be Bowe by DQ :D Thing is, as embarrassing as this will be if it comes off I just know I'll end up watching it out of morbid curiousity.

Edited by wandshogun09