Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
when does the channel stop being free?

I think sometime in December but I'm not 100% on that. Dunno if the Cotto/Margarito fight on the 3rd Dec will fall under the free to view period or what.

Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 is gonna be shown live on Primetime at 2am on the 12th for

• Paid Members
Frank Bruno Vs Carl Williams - im a big Bruno fan, so i went back to some of the the old dvd's...this was a huge fight for Bruno, a win would set up a world title fight with Lennox Lewis a loss would have probably spelled the end for him. Bruno just bullied his way through this fight, very aggressive early on and doing alot of holding and hitting (Bruno was a pretty dirty fighter, he even threw the most blatant elbow ive ever seen later in the fight). Williams' insistence to shake his head after every attack just made me wanna see him get KO'd even more so when Bruno clubbed him down in the 10th it was pretty fucking awesome. Good fight.

There is a very good book called The Long Round: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the Men Who Fought Mike Tyson by Dominic Calder-Smith.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Round-Triumph...5358&sr=1-9

It's one of my favourite boxing books. It tells the life stories of some of the men who fought Tyson, and in a lot of cases it catches up with the present day version of themselves (well, I say present day but the book came out in 2004 and so it's not the current present day versions of themselves). Carl Williams is one of the people in the book. When Calder-Smith meets him sometime in the early years of this century he comes across as such a well adjusted human being. Other people in the book, like Mitch Green for instance, don't come across as particularly well adjusted individuals.

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members
i got it, great book.

on the subject of books, any recommendations?

Dunno if you already read these but I'd highly recommend the Eubank, Benn, Watson autobiographies. Really enjoyed all of them, especially Eubank's. Benn's was a great read going into detail on his brothers death, the army and obviously his fights. Watson's is very good aswell, very sad in parts as you'd expect but the man is unbelievably positive given what he's been through. I still can't believe the recovery he's made.

And also

War, Baby (great book on the Benn vs McClellan fight)

Four Kings (Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran rivalry)

Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing (Really interesting read detailing guys like Tyson, James Toney, Naz and Eubank among others)

Any of them are well worth a look. I've still got Roberto Duran and Ricky Hatton's autobiographies to read and I'm gonna pick up Ray Leonard's soon aswell.

• Paid Members

Few interesting bits and pieces

Toney/Lebedev weigh in

Toney weighed in at 199. Fuck me. I knew he'd dropped some weight but he's even lighter than I thought. He looks in the best shape he's been in years.

Ringside interview with Emanuel Steward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x2Ad2-mxkc...feature=related

old video of Arturo Gatti talking about Naz

I wish that fight would have happened. Would have been a classic.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Leonard Ellerbe is dropping hints about a possible Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight being made for May 5th 2012

The question that all the fans really want to know is assuming Pacquiao does get past Marquez, will we now get a chance to see Mayweather vs. Pacquiao next?

LE: Team Mayweather is looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is.

Full article is here

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11114.html

We've been led down this road too many times for me to get too excited about this but let's hope it actually happens this time. Pinch of salt for now.

I've got mixed emotions for Pacman vs Marquez. I'm a fan of both guys but slightly more a Marquez fan. I'd love to see him finally get that victory over Manny. At the same time a Marquez win would mean a Floyd vs Manny fight is pretty much dead in the water.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Anyone watch Toney vs Lebedev?

SPOILERS****

Fuck me, Toney looked awful. I did actually get my hopes up with him losing all that weight, that we'd possibly see Toney pull something out of his prime but he looked completely done to me. Maybe I'm being harsh and he legit hurt his knee but it can't have just been that. He was all over the place, he still showed brief flashes of the old Toney, slipping punches and stuff but he doesn't have the reflexes or timing he had years ago and back then he'd have schooled Lebedev imo.

I wish he'd hang 'em up now but no doubt he'll be back for a Roy Jones rematch or I could even see him fighting Holyfield again. Freakshows but they'll make money and as long as the promoters keep paying them who can blame them for getting in there.

• Paid Members
i got it, great book.

on the subject of books, any recommendations?

Dunno if you already read these but I'd highly recommend the Eubank, Benn, Watson autobiographies. Really enjoyed all of them, especially Eubank's. Benn's was a great read going into detail on his brothers death, the army and obviously his fights. Watson's is very good aswell, very sad in parts as you'd expect but the man is unbelievably positive given what he's been through. I still can't believe the recovery he's made.

And also

War, Baby (great book on the Benn vs McClellan fight)

Four Kings (Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran rivalry)

Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing (Really interesting read detailing guys like Tyson, James Toney, Naz and Eubank among others)

Any of them are well worth a look. I've still got Roberto Duran and Ricky Hatton's autobiographies to read and I'm gonna pick up Ray Leonard's soon aswell.

Kevin Mitchell can be a bit of a fucko at times but he is very good at the actual craft of writing and War Baby is an excellent book. I bought Dark Trade a few days ago and am very much looking forward to reading it when it arrives. I've always heard good things about it.

Personally, I would highly recommend Looking for a Fight by David Matthews.

davematthews.jpg

The premise of it is that a fat journalist in his early thirties decides that he is going to become a pro-boxer. That initial thought sparks a multi-year odyssey.

When Matthews starts his journey he's a small time journalist who's failed at most things he's tried. Sam Sheridan wrote a good book called A Fighter's Heart in which he tries to find out what it means to be a fighter. In that book he trains at MFS and has an amateur MMA bout. He goes to Thailand and fights Muay-Thai. He hangs with Andre Ward. He goes to Japan with Big Nog for the third Fedor fight. He does other stuff too. As good as Sheridan's book is, and it is good, Looking for a Fight smokes it on every level. Sheridan is a smart guy with a Harvard degree and a future. Ultimately he is always on the outside looking in.

In his book David Matthews truly gets lost in the game. He's a really small time journalist, he's fat, he's black, he's poor and his personal life is a mess. There's no real hope at the end of the rainbow. It's a perfect storm. The result is the best book about fighting, fighters and what it means to be a fighter that you will ever read. His journey takes place in a context as well. It's not just his story it's the story of the guys he trains with and of the the people he meets. It's the story of a certain time in the fight game. It's the story of fighters coming up and going down. It's the story of people chasing dreams.

Unfortunately, as good as Looking for a Fight is I don't think it was a huge success. You can buy it second hand on Amazon dirt cheap. I don't think you can get it new. As far as I can tell it's out of print. So, if you like combat sports, or even if you don't, you should buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/LOOKING-FIGHT-WRITER...8893&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looking-Fight-Writ...1695&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looking-Fight-Writ...1695&sr=1-2

Edited by nfc90210

In case anyone's forgotten, one of Scotlands top fighters is looking to become a two-weight world champion tonight;

It is a great boxing brain which has allowed Ricky Burns to believe that he can vacate his super-featherweight world title to move up a division. That and a vaulting ambition to challenge himself.

Burns has accepted deep in his soul that his lightweight debut against Australian brawler Michael Katsidis at Wembley Arena tonight is fraught with danger.

Burns meets Katsidis for the interim World Boxing Organisation lightweight title knowing he could have picked few tougher opponents to launch his campaign in the new division.

Brutal victories over Graham Earl and Kevin Mitchell in London left a lasting impression on the British public and earned Katsidis the title of