Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Is Frazier still quite healthy? I saw that Thrilla in Manilla doc that was on More4 a few years back, and he didn't seem all that great.

Considering the fights he went through and the era he was boxing in as far as medical supervision & knowledge goes, he's doing not too badly for a guy of almost 70.

• Paid Members
Enzo Macc is one of my favourite commentators. not biased, diesnt ramble on about nonsense like Rawling.

it's not so much what he says, it's just his delivery i didn't like. Hasn't really got the voice for commentating if that makes sense.

Smokin' Joe doc looks outstanding.

They were on about that Frazier film last night on Bunce's Boxing Hour. Looks like a must see.

That looks great. Although Ali always get's the plaudits, I always respected Frazier more for the way he dealt with Ali's racial treatment of him back in the day (a treatment that gets whitewashed today to be honest).

Some would say that karma is a real bitch though, as Frazier is still relatively healthy whilst Ali hasn't been for years.

You'll be glad to hear this isn't gonna be dominated by Ali. They were making the point on Buncey last night that although they will obviously have to cover the Ali rivalry, this film is about Joe Frazier first and foremost. It's great to see him getting some recognition still.

Looking forward to seeing the Frazier doc- seen a lot of his fights and undoubtedly a great boxer. But they really have to cover the Ali rivalry, because other than Fraziers win over Ali in 1971, you could argue that he didnt really beat any other truly great boxers, in a pretty golden era with regards to talent.

Not sure if he's all that classy either- certainly Ali was over the top in some of his insults to Frazier, and he was apologised on numerous occasions for doing so. But claiming the credit for Alis illness like it's some kind of badge of honour (with his son giggling the answer phone message on the subject on that Thrilla In Manila documentary) is pretty classless in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Pacquiao-Marquez 3 24/7 episode 1

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMIdEYFAzQ...player_embedded

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKeV6u3fSEw...der&list=UL

I'm really excited about this fight. I'm expecting Manny to win, but I think Marquez is gonna do better than people think. I think some people forget just how great a boxer JMM is. And he was the last man to really give Pacman any trouble. I actually scored that second fight for Marquez. I don't think weight will be an issue but I can't help thinking Pacquiao is just in better form and he will pull ahead and win on points. It should be a great fight though. I don't think their styles will allow for a disappointing fight like Manny's fights with Mosley and Clottey. Marquez will be wanting this win more than any in his career.

Can't wait. I'm gonna rewatch their first 2 fights again soon.

• Paid Members

first episode of Pacquiao-Marquez 24-7 has aired. Makes a change to see Manny so focussed on the job early in the camp, in other 24-7's hes seemed at times not to take things as seriously as he should.

Looks like we're gonna get a straight professional build up, will still be good.

• Paid Members

Buncey was saying on Boxing Hour that he's being swamped with emails about whether Box Nation is coming to Virgin :laugh: the good news is he said it will be. He didn't give any more detail than that or a time frame for it but at least it's definitely happening.

I fucking love the channel already. In the next few weeks alone we've got

Oct 28th

Frankie Gavin vs Frank Haroche Horta

Chris Johnson vs Ronnie Heffron

Nov 5th

Ricky Burns vs Michael Katsidis

George Groves vs Paul Smith

Gary Boulden vs Billy Joe Saunders

Nov 18th

Lee Selby vs John Simpson

Nov 25th

Anthony Crolla vs Willie Limond

Dec 3rd

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito

Brandon Rios vs John Murray

Mike Jones vs Sebastian Andres Lujan

Pawel Wolak vs Delvin Rodriguez

• Paid Members

anyone seen Risen - The Howard Winstone Story? it's a tiny Welsh movie funded by the WBC, the movie features some of the worst acting ive ever seen committed to screen and comes across as a bit of a student movie at times but i think if you're a boxing fanatic you might enjoy it. The movie is clearly aimed more towards an older audience i think with the story, setting and the way it's played out. I live around 10 miles from the fight town of Merthyr where the movie was filmed and set so it's a story i kind of feel indebted too. I've been meaning to learn more about the history of the town so it's a good place to start...oh and Erik Morales is in it.

• Paid Members
when does the channel stop being free?

I think sometime in December but I'm not 100% on that. Dunno if the Cotto/Margarito fight on the 3rd Dec will fall under the free to view period or what.

Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 is gonna be shown live on Primetime at 2am on the 12th for

For some reason I thought the Pac/JMM was going to free on Sky.

Some fantastic end of year fights to look forward too either way. BoxNation have a fantastic line-up of fights, Primetime have Pac/JMM and Sky fingers crossed, Froch/Ward.

Speaking of Carl Froch, many seem to make Ward fav but I just don't buy it. It won't be an easy, one-sided contest but I fancy the Cobra to come through it.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think Froch/Ward will be on Sky, hopefully not Box Office though. Between Christmas, a bunch of family birthdays coming up and now these Primetime/possible SBO fights added in, my bank balance is getting raped :D I'm gonna have to get some overtime in.