Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

great little 5 min seg on benn watson.

also great night of boxing ahead.

Katsidis v Guererro - I think Kat is being set up as a stepping stone for the ghost, but i see katsidis giving him alot of trouble, but eventually losing in 8or 9.

malinaggi - this joke should give it up,, he should beat cotto on pts - not the cotto, another one. And i expect Miadana to put the final nail in Morales' great career. What a shame, one of the all time greats.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

what the fuck!? what a mess :(

as for Maidana/Morales, what a war that was. I think the commentary team were homering a little too much for Morales but it was a hell of a fight, and a great performance from Morales, unrivalled bravery. I was shitting a brick when that decision was announced.

...and what about James Kirkland getting blown out in a round!

• Paid Members
what the fuck!? what a mess :(

as for Maidana/Morales, what a war that was. I think the commentary team were homering a little too much for Morales but it was a hell of a fight, and a great performance from Morales, unrivalled bravery. I was shitting a brick when that decision was announced.

...and what about James Kirkland getting blown out in a round!

Yeah it was a cracking fight. Morales did better than I expected at this point in his career. It's cool to see a legend still pull out a performance like that. Morrales/Barrera 1 is still one of my favourite fights of all time, boxing or MMA.

There was talk before the Maidana fight was made of doing a Morales-Juan Manuel Marquez fight. I'd still love to see that to be honest, that fight should've happened years ago.

Was surprised with Kirkland too, never saw that coming bit of a shock there.

• Paid Members

whilst watching Morales/Maidana i got into thinking about MMA vs. Boxing again. There's just something about epic boxing matches that eclipses MMA, i think has something to do with the prolonged violence of a boxing match just seeming so much more brutal and gruelling than an MMA fight. Some people might disagree as MMA seems to offer short sharp shocks of violence (and usually more blood), but the constant thudding of a great boxing slugfest is harsh.

I know the gloves play a big part in it, if Maidana and Morales traded some of them shots in an MMA fight it wouldn't have a round.

of course, great fights are hard to come by these days, and a bad boxing match can be excruciating to watch.

• Paid Members

Khan/McCloskey ended up being disappointing, from a fight standpoint it was heating up, but it was seemed to be a case of McCloskey trying to counter punch against a faster fighters, McCloskey wasn't getting much succsess but if Khan was tiring (as McCloskey and many others claimed) was gettng tired the end of the fight could have been interesting. The stoppage was ridiculous, it seemed to get stopped so quickly, a long but not wide looking cut opened but it wasn't bleeding. To be honest McCloskey didn't look like he made much of a protest at the time but it felt like the doctor robbed everyone. McCloskey claims that he though the cut was bad because of the stoppage which is probably why he didn't complain, but he wasn't happy.

I'd also like to hear the Sky commentary...i had the HBO version and they are so f'n negative and boring to listen too sometimes it can hamper a fight.

then there was Berto/Ortiz! what a fucking tear up this was. Great little stories going in and it ended up delivering big time. You had a more determined and tenacious fighter slugging with an inferior brawler but someone who possesses insane punching power. Wild fight, 4 knockdowns, haymakers galore and a spot of controversy. Unbelievable fight, hard not to like Victor Ortiz. Big upset and definately in with a shot for fight of the year.

I listened to the commentary of the fight on Five Live and haven't watched it, so what I am writing is based on the broadcast of what I heard and the interviews.

In the immediate aftermath of the fight (after it had been stopped and before they had been able to interview anyone), when the commentators (Richie Woodhall, Mike Costello and Steve Bunce) said how it was a terrible stoppage from the doctor and there will be calls for a rematch from McCloskey's camp, one of them stated how it was a six round shutout for Khan, and although he provided trouble with his style, McCloskey wasn't doing anything to hurt Khan, and he would have had to have won the next six rounds just to tie the fight and there was zero evidence he was going to do that. They all said how none of them wanted to see a rematch, and how Khan will now move on to fighting Timothy Bradley, but Bunce said what McCloskey's camp will say is that the fight wa going how they expected and how he would move it up a notch in the second half of the fight. Not long later Barry Hearn is being interviewed and he says exactly what Bunce said would come from their camp.

In Khan's post fight interview he said how McCloskey didn't make much of a protest with the stoppage, and he claims that he was wanting out of the fight. In the dressing room afterwards, Hearn called that flat-out 'bullshit' and McCloskey also denied it. They were angling for the rematch, saying how the doctor robbed the paying public, the PPV audience, 5,000 Irish supporters who had travelled over of a genuine fight, and how if Khan was an honourable fighter he would give them the rematch. Woodhall and co said although he never troubled Khan, he didn't make him look good and there is no chance of a rematch and Golden Boy will look to put on the Bradley fight.

• Paid Members

yeh there's no way it'll happen again, the after-fight talk should be expected from both camps. McCloskey is right to moan it's what a fighter does but like everyone's said he didn't exactly protest when it was stopped. He didn't exactly make Khan look bad either, Khan was handily beating him, it's more that McCloskey has the kind of awkward south-paw style which makes for awkward fights, but Khan was winning easily.

• Paid Members

been catching up on my history today too, got hold Muhammad Ali: Ringside (4 disk set)...it's great to see the old stuff in such good quality and although im a boxing fan a lot of this stuff i haven't seen.

Saw Clay/Liston I today, it's a great example of how good Clay was in certain respects, his head movement and speed is blistering, the 3rd round is outstanding Liston couldn't put a glove on Clay. The following rounds is all controversy though, the burning eyes/quitting nonsence. It's one of the most talked about and controversial fights of all time...i need to read more into it.

been catching up on my history today too, got hold Muhammad Ali: Ringside (4 disk set)...it's great to see the old stuff in such good quality and although im a boxing fan a lot of this stuff i haven't seen.

Saw Clay/Liston I today, it's a great example of how good Clay was in certain respects, his head movement and speed is blistering, the 3rd round is outstanding Liston couldn't put a glove on Clay. The following rounds is all controversy though, the burning eyes/quitting nonsence. It's one of the most talked about and controversial fights of all time...i need to read more into it.

Best book, IMHO, is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muhammad-Ali-His-L...810&sr=1-12

Written quoting the people who were there and knew Ali as well as Ali himself. Is a really interesting read.