Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Is ESPN any good for boxing? Recorded Friday Night Fights last night.

Nah, FNF is all they show, and that's only because it's an ESPN show in the States. The news and features segments are pretty good, they discuss all the major boxing news of the week, but for the most part the boxing itself is terrible. You get the odd good fight, but it's all prospect v gatekeeper or journeyman.

anyone watching Mayorga/Cotto this weekend? its gonna be brutal.

ive been watching a lot of Mayorga stuff this week, total maniac. I love combat sport hype, and a lot of it is hype/playing up for the camera's, but with Mayorga's it's legit. that guys got an element of danger about him, he seems unstable. It makes for exciting viewing, i love it!

Is it on Sky, mate?

It was on the 12th mate, has been and gone. Info here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blo...ghts-fight.html

Yeah, Cheers. I realised after i posted :(

Everybody's so far up Wlad's arse, they're feeding on his shit. Haye's a flash bastard, we see it all the time around here because he lives about a mile away from me. From his wife's tacky number plate to his gofers being sat in the Goose waiting for him to finish training, he's annoying. However, I hope he has a good showing against Wlad. If he doesn't win, a close decision.

Global Prizefighter announced for May! Link

Well what a shit line-up that is. After all the talk of RJJ and Rahman, that is the most underwhelming list they could have come up with-and I would have gone if Jones was in it. Safetypin Johnson put up one of the worst 'efforts' in a Heavyweight title fight I've ever seen, and the 'former world champion' is an ex-WBF champ they call 'The white Dutch Sonny Liston'. Rogan and Perez are the only two interesting names in there.

was there serious talk of RJJ being involved then? that link's the first ive heard of it.

When they first announced it was happening, Eddie Hearn was on Bunce's radio show and said they were trying to get him in. He signed to fight Denis Lebedev instead, which kind of scuppered that. There was all sorts of other names being tossed about such as rahman, or Michael Grant. Yeah they're shit, but they are big names that I'd have paid to have seen in this format. Instead we get Rogan, some bloke who's claim to fame is not throwing a punch in 12 rounds against Vitali, and some scrubs.

Though to be fair, if you think of the line-up we get on a usual Prizefighter of one decent name, and a couple of others you've heard of padded out with bums, then I suppose this is equivalent but with international names.

• Paid Members
Global Prizefighter announced for May! Link

Well what a shit line-up that is. After all the talk of RJJ and Rahman, that is the most underwhelming list they could have come up with-and I would have gone if Jones was in it. Safetypin Johnson put up one of the worst 'efforts' in a Heavyweight title fight I've ever seen, and the 'former world champion' is an ex-WBF champ they call 'The white Dutch Sonny Liston'. Rogan and Perez are the only two interesting names in there.

Richel Hersisia has been knocked out by Audley Harrison. He must be good! ;)

It's a strange time for Hayemaker Promotions. Can't see Haye doing anything against either Klitschko. British fighters get talked up and pad there records with nobodies, I think this is what Haye has done, much like Amir Khan, and he has a very real chance of being found out against Wlad. At the same time George Groves is a massive underdog against the mega impressive Degale. I personally feel Groves will cause an upset in this one. In two fights everything Adam Booth's (to me one of the best boxing coaches on the planet) worked toward could come crumbling around him.