Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

anyone watching Mayorga/Cotto this weekend? its gonna be brutal.

ive been watching a lot of Mayorga stuff this week, total maniac. I love combat sport hype, and a lot of it is hype/playing up for the camera's, but with Mayorga's it's legit. that guys got an element of danger about him, he seems unstable. It makes for exciting viewing, i love it!

Mayorga's fight with Sugar Shane a couple of years back was a classic! How Ricardo got KO'd with 1 second to go in the 12th while seemingly winning the fight, I'll never know.

I think Cotto will win - either by early KO or most probably on points. However his recent brutal fights against Pacquaio and Margarito may still hold some mental scars. The later rounds should be interesting if Mayorga weathers the early storm.

• Paid Members

Cotto/Mayorga certainly delivered. What a crazy fight, it was more down to Mayorga's antics than anything else, wild man...both guys took some hellacious shots though, the finish was a little odd. Mayorga got drilled with a left hook that would have KO'd most people but he dropped to a knee complaining that his thumb was injured. Replays couldn't really pinpoint where it happened, but it kind of robbed us of what would have been a classic last round.

• Paid Members

Yeah I only just got round to seeing Cotto vs Mayorga, it was a wild fight, great stuff. The ending was a bit of an anti climax but what a fight.

I'm still curious to see Mayorga try out MMA too to be totally honest. As much for the personality he brings as his fighting ability.

• Paid Members

Recent interview with Floyd Mayweather Sr on a whole bunch of subjects. Long read but very much worth it IMO, whether you agree with him or not he's always entertaining is old Floyd Sr.

Regarding rumors that his son Floyd Mayweather Junior was planning to return to the ring in June:

• Paid Members

George Groves/James DeGale has been added to the Cleverley/Brahmer card in the o2 on May 21st! fucking great stuff.

falls on the same night as BAMMA though :( i was gonna goto BAMMA but im actually tempted to stay home and make a night of it on the TV and watch both back-to-back. Great night of domestic fights, Frank Warren will no doubt stick some other decent stuff on the his card as he does for the supershows.

Fury vs Chisora looks interesting - Will make Steve Bunce foam at the mouth anyways.

Found an old copy of Boxing Monthly last night - Hopkins KO'ing Trinidad (which I forgot had happenned), Tyson KO'ing Neilsen, and some Welsh bloke called Calzaghe making his US debut .but what struck me was that there were so many whatever happenned to ... people

eg

Takaloo

Howard Eastman (although he was hyping up a challenge to William Joppy (who is still going I think?) , which I believe he lost?)

I know wikipedia is my friend on that regards, but it just struck me about how quickly some people can fall off the radar.

Also found a load of old Apter mags, but thats not for here....