Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
It would go on the record books as "RTD 10", which of course, means "Retired after 10 completed rounds". Within the language of boxing, it would be known as a 10th round TKO really.

right, get on it...TKO round 10, you will win some serious cheddar :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Erik Morales is now fighting Pablo Cesar Cano (20-0-1) next Saturday on the Mayweather/Ortiz undercard. The fight's still gonna be televised

Glad they were able to find a good replacement. Would've preferred Barrera but this will do nicely. Really looking forward to this show.

• Paid Members
all the Legendary Nights are brilliant, i wish they'd do more of them.

They seriously need to produce a new line of Legendary Nights, I agree. The ones I would most like to see, and the ones which I believe fit in with the Legendary Nights theme, of not only concentrating on fights which produced great action as the main source of drama, but also fights that were big mainstream events and ones which had unique circumstances surrounding them ;

Mayweather Vs Hatton - from a straight forward in-ring action point of view, quite a shit fight, but it doesn't get much more dramatic in my view. Incredible atmosphere and passion involved, and many different sub-plots for the producers to focus on. It was a mainstream fight in America to a certain extent, but the UK came to a standstill in the early hours on December 9 2008 (even with the host and judging panel of the X-Factor taking a five minute timeout to wish Hatton luck). 1.4 million buys on Sky Box Office and 850,000 in the US told a story on their own. However, the everlasting legacy of this fight, I believe will be the sheer awe-inspiring sight of 35,000 British fight fans flying into Las Vegas, just to be in the same City which the fight would take place. A moment in time which I don't believe will ever be rivaled.

Cotto Vs Margarito - We all know what happened here, great fight and great stories to put into an episode.

De La Hoya Vs Mayweather - A landmark for world boxing. A commercial juggernaught, and the launch of Floyd Mayweather as a true box-office attraction.

De La Hoya Vs Pacquiao - Quite similar to the above. No matter what condition DLH was in, the sight of the much, much smaller man buzzing around DLH whilst giving him a beating is among some of the most shocking moments in big time boxing. This fight also launched Manny Pacquiao's now infamous winning streak, going from a nailed on future hall of famer, to one of the great fighters in history below the Middleweight division.

Just a few which I would love to see.

Erik Morales is now fighting Pablo Cesar Cano (20-0-1) next Saturday on the Mayweather/Ortiz undercard. The fight's still gonna be televised

Glad they were able to find a good replacement. Would've preferred Barrera but this will do nicely. Really looking forward to this show.

Oh well, I think that it is still a great, great show. Aside from the obvious, I'm also looking forward to seeing Alvarez. I'm a big fan of this young fighter and I believe he is special. There's a lot being made of the fact that he doesn't have the sort of other worldly speed which has set most great fighters apart from the pack. However, speed doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to use it. Alvarez has enough speed, but he also has a boat load of other vital skills, and one of his main assets that I admire most, is the incredible poise which he has. That kind of level headed-ness and anticipation can negate speed anyhow.

I think he's the real deal.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members

Yeah them would be great, also would like to see Legendary Nights on these

Tyson vs Holyfield 1 & 2

Barrera vs Morales Trilogy

Pacquiao vs Marquez Trilogy

Corrales vs Castillo 1 & 2

Gatti vs Ward Trilogy

probably couldn't do some of 'em though cos they weren't all on HBO I don't think?

Love to see something on Benn vs McClellan aswell. There keeps being talk of documentaries in the making for it but nowt happens. They need to sort it out, the fight, the build up and all the fallout is such a dramatic story I'm surprised there hasn't already been a couple of docs on it.

I read War, Baby recently, can't recommend it enough, captures the fight perfectly and goes into great detail on Benn and McClellan's careers.

• Paid Members
Yeah them would be great, also would like to see Legendary Nights on these

Tyson vs Holyfield 1 & 2

Barrera vs Morales Trilogy

Pacquiao vs Marquez Trilogy

Corrales vs Castillo 1 & 2

Gatti vs Ward Trilogy

probably couldn't do some of 'em though cos they weren't all on HBO I don't think?

Love to see something on Benn vs McClellan aswell. There keeps being talk of documentaries in the making for it but nowt happens. They need to sort it out, the fight, the build up and all the fallout is such a dramatic story I'm surprised there hasn't already been a couple of docs on it.

I read War, Baby recently, can't recommend it enough, captures the fight perfectly and goes into great detail on Benn and McClellan's careers.

Yeah I'd like to see all of those, too. Although, like you say, some of those weren't HBO, but Showtime. Tyson Vs Holyfield 1 and 2, Corrales Vs Castillo 1 and 2 are the ones not HBO, but nothing stopping Showtime stepping up and doing some, they done a good job at their own 24/7 when they done Fightcamp 360, so I don't see why they couldn't do those.

• Paid Members

Here's a link to the 3rd episode of Mayweather Vs Ortiz 24/7 which was aired last night on HBO in the States. I recommend watching it at the first opportunity because HBO are shit hot at shutting these things down.

Another interesting episode and some good footage. One thing I will say about this episode, is that even though Floyd has always played up to that bad guy Money May character, I've never really been bothered about the things he does, such as burning $100 bills in nightclubs and walking around with stacks of cash. However, it's getting old now and is in incredibly poor taste considering how bad things are financially for most in America right now. As if that wasn't enough, Floyd has really out-done himself this time, when during a Skype call with a group of US soldiers currently in Afghanistan, he got his trademark massive stacks of cash out and was showing it to the soldiers, and then showed off all of his massive luxury possesions like multiple walk in cupboards which really are bigger than the flat in which I currently live. He also showed them his car collection which is valued at over $4million, among other things. When one of the soldierss asked him what his motivation is, of course he said it was the money, and it was at that point which he started stacking up those piles of cash for the soldiers to see, and perhaps the worst thing he said was something like ; "Ortiz shouldn't complain, he's getting his biggest ever payday at $2.5million, but that's just the value of my shoe collection right there. I don't fuck with two's and three's, I'm getting me no less than $15 million".

I know he's playing it up, but that's taking the piss. Especially in that situation.

Part 1

Part 2

Edited by Taylorslade

Mayweather on those 24/7 things is boring as fuck, says the same things over and over again. He has nothing of relevence to say, has never really said anything funny and no matter how much wedge he has he comes across as an unhappy chap. I know maybe some of it is to sell his Money Mayweather charachter etc....and initially maybe it worked - probably still does to alot of yanks, but to me it's just meh.

With the Ortiz fight i see Floyd maybe under pressure for the first 2 rounds but thats it, i said it before i think Ortiz is made for Mayweather and i don't think Mayweather would be fighting him if he didnt think he could handle him relatively easy.

I know Floyd is not as quick as he was - especially watching some of his old fights on YT, but i believe he could just counter punch someone like Ortiz all night long. Have is legs gone? I know it's natural for a man to slow down when he reaches his mid 30's but it's not as if Floyd does not keep himself in great shape all year round, he's had no real tough fights. I don't think this will be a factor against Ortiz.

Overall i think Floyd will will have to defend 2 or 3 good attacks from Ortiz in the early rounds then dominate from 3 onwards to win on pts or a late stoppage. I have a vision of Ortiz getting pulled out of there with a very battered and bruised face late on.

Great win for Mclloskey lastnight a fight of 2 halves, he took everything Prescott had to gie and was still dropping his hands alo Joe Calzaghe style.

Klitchko looked good as well. Nice to see him call Haye out afterwards, can see Haye fighting him in England within the next 6 months.

Here's a link to the 3rd episode of Mayweather Vs Ortiz 24/7 which was aired last night on HBO in the States. I recommend watching it at the first opportunity because HBO are shit hot at shutting these things down.

Another interesting episode and some good footage. One thing I will say about this episode, is that even though Floyd has always played up to that bad guy Money May character, I've never really been bothered about the things he does, such as burning $100 bills in nightclubs and walking around with stacks of cash. However, it's getting old now and is in incredibly poor taste considering how bad things are financially for most in America right now. As if that wasn't enough, Floyd has really out-done himself this time, when during a Skype call with a group of US soldiers currently in Afghanistan, he got his trademark massive stacks of cash out and was showing it to the soldiers, and then showed off all of his massive luxury possesions like multiple walk in cupboards which really are bigger than the flat in which I currently live. He also showed them his car collection which is valued at over $4million, among other things. When one of the soldierss asked him what his motivation is, of course he said it was the money, and it was at that point which he started stacking up those piles of cash for the soldiers to see, and perhaps the worst thing he said was something like ; "Ortiz shouldn't complain, he's getting his biggest ever payday at $2.5million, but that's just the value of my shoe collection right there. I don't fuck with two's and three's, I'm getting me no less than $15 million".

I know he's playing it up, but that's taking the piss. Especially in that situation.

Part 1

Part 2

Yeah that seemed a step too far even for the Money Mayweather character. It was really funny when the connection was lost and he was walking round the mansion trying to get it back. I'd love it if the soldiers got sick of the money flashing and they just disconnected the skype conversation.

On the plus side, at least there was no 50 Cent in this episode.

• Paid Members

In my opinion, the move to Lightweight is a much better option for Ricky Burns than a defense against Adrian Broner. I love watching Burns and he's a good guy, but Broner is an elite talent who is becoming the complete package. Broner is coming off an impressive destruction of Jason Litzau (who, in turn, beat the tall dangerman Cellestino Cabellero) and on top of that, I understand that the fight would've went on in Broner's hometown. So with that in mind, the move up in weight is a good decision, because I couldn't see Burns lasting more than 3 rounds with the American.

It also comes as no surprise to see that the WBO are going to allow him a straight shot at the Interim title (URGH!), in this case though, I'm glad to see that it's a nice guy like Burns who's benefitting from Frank Warren's far too cosy relationship with the WBO.

Earlier I watched the latest Cleverly Vs Bellew press conference, and normally I take such public confrontations with a pinch of salt because of things like point-scoring, hyping the fight etc, and normally I can refrain myself from taking a dislike to a fighter because of what I see in these press meetings. However, for quite some time now, Tony Bellew's loud mouth has been pissing me off and I really cannot stand the lad. It's not just what's happening now with Cleverly, but it's been going on for years, I can remember going to numerous Amatuer tournaments and shows, and he was the same back then. In-ring, I think he's a one-trick pony who thinks that he's much better than he really is, and I think Cleverly will embarass him. Won't even be close.