DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dan Fears Satan

HostelFairly entertaining, wasn't bored at any moment of it. The start is just filler, but when it gets going its good and bloody. I enjoyed cabin fever so hold that against me. ***

Went to see Inside Man this afternoon. A great film with a good cast (Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer, Willem Dafoe) and some solid performances. Clever, funny, and very entertaining, and probably the best film I have seen in 2006! Reminded me of The Usual Suspects at times.

(****)

Hostel.This film was literally a waste of time. The first hour is spent trying to be a dark teen comedy about back packers in Europe building up little tension. Then the twist comes, and with no tension or scares at all. This film is literally one kill to another, with only the gore factor being anything noteable.I give it 2 potatoes out of a possible 5 potatoes.

Inside Man, which was pretty average and horribly paced. The film could have lost 30 minutes easily, and the ending sequence is less of a Usual Suspects style revelation (which it wants to be) and more of a way of explaining every little detail to the dumb people in the audience. Willem Dafoe was completely wasted, Denzel phoned it in, Jodie Foster was good, Clive Owen was very good and it's nice to see Chiwetel Ejiofar in more films.

• Paid Members

Watched "Superman 4: The Quest for Peace". What a horrible film, even though I'm a big Superman mark. Only film I've ever spotted goofs happening. See the bit where Nuclear Man is dragged through the floors of the building upwards. You can see a f'ing wire!!

• Paid Members

seeing alot of Hostel hate here...whilst i didnt think the movie was brilliaint, i enjoyed it, this movie is definatly another case of 'The Blair Witch Project' though...with that film the press was saying shit like 'scariest film ever', people came out and hated it. Another case of this was 'The Village', this film was advertised so wrong, it wasnt even a horror film but adverts made it out to be a scary flick peeps watched it in the wrong frame of mind and they fucking hated it.Media are just throwing out nonsence like 'goriest, sickest film ever' and people are going in expecting to see something that's really gonna disturb 'em and something which realistically aint gonna happen, and then people come out and say 'that sucked'. It likes makes people go in with a higher resistance to what their used too cause their prepared for it, its fucking stupid.I guess it sells tickets but it always makes people hate the movie.

• Paid Members

Might catch "Hostel" tonight."The Village" depresses me. I don't know why but it just makes me depressed. I think its the general setting and the way the people act. The SWERVE~~! is totally expected too.

Guest Ashley

V for Vendetta.I thought V was pretty good, but It felt like it was a two hour quote fest, as everything most of the people said were made to sound like stand-alone quotes.I don't know why, but I really didn't like Stephen Fry in it, he seemed out of place to me. One thing I did like was Evey's imprisonment and subsequent personal battle, that was very well done and I for one didn't see the revelation coming.All in all a good film.

One thing I did like was Evey's imprisonment and subsequent personal battle, that was very well done and I for one didn't see the revelation coming.

I found the revelation to be very predictable and too obvious myself.

Citizen KaneWhat a superb film. Everything in this film is perfection down to a tee, and it is shot SO well for it's time (I would say it's about forty years before it's time). Evidence of this is through the camera angles as they pan around, then up and into buildings. It is directed brillantly by Orson Welles, whoos presence really oozes out of the screen (and he plays the eldest Kane so well, that you cannot think of anything that would improve it). A beautiful sound track, a script so sharp that it's thick sattire and irony is not lost and a good supporting cast really do mean this film is an essential classic, everyone should see.I give this film five potatoes out of a possible five potatoes.

Edited by ukedge87

Chicken Little - i know its just out over here, but its already on DVD on R1 and R3, and with a discount link and code got this on R3 from CD-WOW for just under 6 quid - great family film, not too kiddified, i enjoyed it anyway.Good extras too, including the initial version where chicken little was a girl, didnt look or sound right in my opinion, which is probably why it was ditched for Zach Braff in the lead role.

Citizen KaneWhat a superb film. Everything in this film is perfection down to a tee, and it is shot SO well for it's time (I would say it's about forty years before it's time). Evidence of this is through the camera angles as they pan around, then up and into buildings. It is directed brillantly by Orson Welles, whoos presence really oozes out of the screen (and he plays the eldest Kane so well, that you cannot think of anything that would improve it). A beautiful sound track, a script so sharp that it's thick sattire and irony is not lost and a good supporting cast really do mean this film is an essential classic, everyone should see.I give this film five potatoes out of a possible five potatoes.

I think that Citizen Kane is one of these "masterpeices" that everybody hears about but no one actually gets around to seeing. I caught about 10 minutes of it once and it didn't seem particlulary appealing ( but I like ready to rumble so, what the hell do I know about good films?) Speed: got this on DVD recently. Still one of the best actions movies ever. A witty, fun script that is a refreshing change from a lot of cliched action films. Muhollound drive: Well, I watched it, and then spent half an hour on IMDB trying to figure out what on earth it was about. Pretty good for the first half, but then the film is undermined buythe last half hour. Edited by Garrett