DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 First Dates

A fair film, it has its charms, with Drew Barrymore being the main charm and Rob Schneider being pretty funny in his sidekick role. Adam Sandler is a lothario in Hawaii and he bumps into Drew Barrymore who he tries it on with, it works but as it turns out is that she has short term memory loss so he has to win her over every single day. Similar in themes to Groundhog Day but nowhere near as layered or classily pulled off. Not Adam Sandler's funniest film but it was a nice uplifting romantic comedy that you can just watch and enjoy.

6/10

Weird Science

Hadn't seen this before but it was quite cheap from Silverscreen and I'm a pretty big John Hughes film but it was a serious letdown, maybe because I'm not an 80s kid or the story seemed really hashed but I didn't really believe in the characters, apart from Anthony Michael Hall, and after extensively looking at Kelly LeBrock she wasn't that hot. For me, this is John Hughes' worst film which is still better than a lot of others can do.

5/10

• Paid Members

Fortress - early nineties Christopher Lambert flick, i love these type of movies, this is the kinda shit you'd expect to see Van Damme or old school Schwarzenegger in. Just got that gritty low budget action vibe. Also has the genius that is Vernon Wells (Bennett from Commando) on psycho duty so that's a bonus. If you like shit like The Running Man, Death Warrant...this is for you.

Ghosts of Mars - saw this film a couple of years ago before i even knew who John Carpenter was, thought the film was pretty shit but i was eager to go back to it now im a big Carpenter fan. This movie pretty much gets shit on by everyone (even most Carpenter fans), but i gotta admit i fucking enjoyed it. The film has the usual John Carpenter score which is just awesome and got that slow dark atmosphere, the action is hammy and most the dialogue cheesy as fuck (and quite funny)but add that with the Carpenter elements and it made it an enjoyable flick. Basically it's a re-telling of Assault on Presinct 13 but on Mars with ghosts instead of a gang of thugs. Most peeps would shit on this from a great height, but if you're a Carpenter fan watch it remembering the movie is pretty much tongue in cheek and you'll probably enjoy it, underrated.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

One of the best films i've seen in some time. Well acted all round, great, original script, endlessly quotable, witty dialogue, funny, unpredictable and absolutely tremendous chemistry between the two main stars Kilmer and Downey Jr.

Rent it. Get it. Watch it. Now!

• Paid Members

Kiss Kiss, Bang BangOne of the best films i've seen in some time. Well acted all round, great, original script, endlessly quotable, witty dialogue, funny, unpredictable and absolutely tremendous chemistry between the two main stars Kilmer and Downey Jr.Rent it. Get it. Watch it. Now!

agreed...if your into smart, witty scripts this is the shit!...infact watch anything written by Shane Black, fucking awesome!

The Shawshank Redemption

Quite simply the greatest story ever commited to film and makes it the best film ever. Everyone must have seen it by now and it was about the 5th time I've watched it myself but everytime I feel myself almost welling up with joy at the end. I don't know if there is a better film out there. Nothing can touch this for filling your soul with human spirit, joy and hope.

10/10

I rented out Elephant today from Choices and I'm about 35 minutes into that piece of shit. I don't know if I can struggle through the rest...

The Dark

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411267/

An entertaining film on the whole, which has a slow pace at times (the first 30-minutes or so somewhat drag), but has hints of The Ring & Silent Hill, and an interesting (if predictable and straight-forward) story. The movie gets better it progresses, and has an interesting but predictable & somewhat confusing twist ending. The film is short at 85-minutes, and there was the potential for something better (which was never really met), but the small cast do a good job (including Sean Bean, Monica Bello, and Maurice Ro

Elephant

Just struggled through the rest of this awful, awful film. It's extremely pretentious and egotistical on Gus Van Sant's part. The whole film is just long shots of following average teenagers on their day. And I mean Long shots. I thought I was having the piss taken out of me by simply watching the film. The pure arrogance of the man to try and tackle a subject such as the murders in Columbine and give no attempt whatsoever to give it a narrative or flow. This is possibly the worst film I've ever seen and it was torturous to watch, never see this film.

0/10

ElephantJust struggled through the rest of this awful, awful film. It's extremely pretentious and egotistical on Gus Van Sant's part. The whole film is just long shots of following average teenagers on their day. And I mean Long shots. I thought I was having the piss taken out of me by simply watching the film. The pure arrogance of the man to try and tackle a subject such as the murders in Columbine and give no attempt whatsoever to give it a narrative or flow. This is possibly the worst film I've ever seen and it was torturous to watch, never see this film.0/10

YES! I've said it before and again, Elephant is the single worst film of all time.

ElephantJust struggled through the rest of this awful, awful film. It's extremely pretentious and egotistical on Gus Van Sant's part. The whole film is just long shots of following average teenagers on their day. And I mean Long shots. I thought I was having the piss taken out of me by simply watching the film. The pure arrogance of the man to try and tackle a subject such as the murders in Columbine and give no attempt whatsoever to give it a narrative or flow. This is possibly the worst film I've ever seen and it was torturous to watch, never see this film.0/10

YES! I've said it before and again, Elephant is the single worst film of all time.
I'm shocked that people don't see through this awful diatribe, it won a big award at Cannes and its got a good rating on imdb.com, that is a sin.

• Paid Members

On my latest leg of my "Nightmare on Elm Street" film marathon I watched the first part. Better than I thought and remembered it to be. The bit where he ties up the main characters boyfriend in his own motorcycle and screams..."DON'T DREAM AND DRIVE!!!""THIS BOY HAS THE NEED FOR SPEED!!""POWER DRIVE!!""BETTER BUCKLE UP FOR SAFETY!!"One after the other with that maniacal laugh is awesome in a cringe sort of way.(***/*****)

Edited by bAzTNM

• Paid Members

Hostel

SPOILERS

Good things:

The phrase "of course my horse" which is just brilliant.

Ridiculously hot Eastern European ladies.

Cameo appearance from Takashi Miike.

The explanation is fairly decent though it was pretty derivative and essentially nicked from 8 Milimetres with a hint of Saw.

The nasty scenes are suitably nasty, particularly the vengeance stuff towards the end.

Bad things:

The first forty minutes are Eurotrip. Not just reminiscent of Eurotrip, actually Eurotrip. Weird touchy feely guy on the train and all. I presume there's meant to be a stark, shocking contrast between the opening light heartedness and the truly horrific second half but it just feels really lazily thrown together. There's no growing tension or suspense, its just, hey they're having fun, oh shit they're in Bratislava now they're going to get mutilated. The whole look of the film when all the badness starts to happen is too much like Saw except put into a far inferior film. Oh, and those violent street kids were turd. The ending was fairly unsatisfactory too, I understand he saved the Japanese girl in order to restore karma after his crappy drowning girl story but he seemed perfectly happy to let them continue doing what they're doing at the Hostel as long as he gets to kill Edward Saladhands and escape. What a git.

So on the whole not a great film. Some of it is visually impressive and its alright in a watch and forget popcorn way but I wouldn't particularly recommend it.