DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Moderators

Harry Knowles is Twittering about Terminator Salvation, and the news is not good.

TERMINATOR SALVATION review to hit Thursday night: last line: Fuck this movie.

The review is 2656 words and ends with "FUCK THIS MOVIE"

gee, I just looked it up... the writing team that wrote Terminator Salvation also wrote CATWOMAN I totally understand now.

I have a Stan Winston TERMINATOR head used in this movie on my desk that McG gave me? Movie is still a fucking turd!

and McG came to my birthday party.

ah - I've been told my review can go up 9pm PST on Wednesday night. Ok - that's when it'll hit then.

btw - the Arnie effects are jaw dropping in Terminator Salvation. Had Arnie killed that - the only remaining high water mark is Anton'sKyle

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Harry Knowles can't really be trusted. He's a fucking idiot.

Isn't he the one Seven described as "poison"?

Now theres an insult ;)

Aint it Cool has a review up - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40999

It's very spoilery though as it lays out the story, but from the sound of it the movies not too bad. It doesn't sound great, but it doesn't sound like T3.

• Moderators

I didn't have high hopes for Terminator Salvation because no matter what the setting, the cast, the design team or the SFX, directors like McG or Brett Ratner just aren't capable of making good movies. At best, you might end up with an okay version of what would have been ten times better in the hands of someone creative, but people like them are so bland, they should stick to properties nobody cares about. Sure, they know how to shoot movies, but how many times have you watched something they did and gone "Wow, that bit was classic McG!" like you would over better directors?

He's been involved with a couple of decent TV shows in an exec producer role but that's it really.

Speaking of bad directors though, I saw Random Hearts recently. I'm clearing out my videotapes and am seeing what is on a bunch of unlabelled tapes. Definitely an example of when Hollywood gets it wrong.

Metacritic Reviews

Variety magazine - 70

Darker, grimmer and more stylistically single-minded than its two relatively giddy predecessors, Terminator Salvation boasts the kind of singular vision that distinguished the James Cameron original, the full-throttle kinetics of "Speed" and an old-fashioned regard for human (and humanoid) heroics.

Hollywood Reporter - 50

In Arnold's absence, an important ingredient of the "Terminator" iconography -- namely, the fun factor -- is in short supply.

New York Magazine - 40

With McG's migraine-inducing jerky-cam and monochromatic palette (livened only by splotches of rust), Terminator Salvation puts the numb in numskull.

Mmmm, want to see more than 3 reviews but ouch....

• Paid Members
I'm not really going to pay much attention to reviews.

Carbomb you're an evil person.

I think you've misunderstood what I was trying to get at; I do not, at any point, condone any totalitarian governments or movements. What I'm trying to say is that, particularly with the current economic climate and what we should have learned from history from the Great Depression and the rise of the Nazis and the fascists, we should be doubly careful against being complacent as to our social freedoms, and I feel that Mike Savory, for all his posturing in that review, draws some startling and neat parallels between the character and concept elements of Terminator: Salvation and what is currently going on in world politics.

EDIT - Ok, after hours of looking (and mostly asking my cousin) i realised it was called 'They still call me Bruce'.

(If no one understands why i posted this, its because earlier i asked help with a movie.)

As i don't have much more to add, i will end my post by saying something i have said on like half of my posts. Watch Friday Night Lights!

Edited by rochellerochelle

Went to see Coraline last night. A good 3d movie I thought. Technically its a kids film, but its very dark. In fact theres stuff which is just creepy enough to scar young kids for life. The 3D was well used and didn't just resprt to things poking out at you constantly, which was refreshing.

Edited by KFR42