DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

The Spirit

Very disappointing overall. The guy who played The Spirit was great and Samuel L. Jackson had some moments, but even that couldn't save the disjointed and strange flow of the film. Some of the attempts at humour were cringeworthy and at times it seemed to go slightly in the right direction of being a cheesy cartoonish action flick, but it seemed to take itself too seriously at other points. However Scarlett Johansson was smoking hot!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spirit

Very disappointing overall. The guy who played The Spirit was great and Samuel L. Jackson had some moments, but even that couldn't save the disjointed and strange flow of the film. Some of the attempts at humour were cringeworthy and at times it seemed to go slightly in the right direction of being a cheesy cartoonish action flick, but it seemed to take itself too seriously at other points. However Scarlett Johansson was smoking hot!

you can't expect anything less from her though

I haven't followed much TV throughout the last few years. Last night I watched (and gave up on) 'Kiss the girls.'

But during the adverts, a promo video for a re-run of 'Dead set' aired.

How did I miss this? I am fascinated with the zombie/apocalyptic theme, and mixing Big Brother in to it! Well, before I exclaimed 'Fantastic!' I was wondering how main characters resembling BB contestants will be glue to hold the film together.

I checked out some clips on E4, and wow! The parody of Big Brother was hilarious! And the other scenes I saw got my interest peaked. Looks like a more serious 'Shaun of the dead,' with of course the notable running zombies.

So, for anyone who watched it, how was 'Dead set?'

I did try doing a search, but I always get the 'something went wrong' message when I do searched on the UKFF.

I haven't followed much TV throughout the last few years. Last night I watched (and gave up on) 'Kiss the girls.'

But during the adverts, a promo video for a re-run of 'Dead set' aired.

How did I miss this? I am fascinated with the zombie/apocalyptic theme, and mixing Big Brother in to it! Well, before I exclaimed 'Fantastic!' I was wondering how main characters resembling BB contestants will be glue to hold the film together.

I checked out some clips on E4, and wow! The parody of Big Brother was hilarious! And the other scenes I saw got my interest peaked. Looks like a more serious 'Shaun of the dead,' with of course the notable running zombies.

So, for anyone who watched it, how was 'Dead set?'

I did try doing a search, but I always get the 'something went wrong' message when I do searched on the UKFF.

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=108190&hl=

Glengarry Glen Ross might be my favourite film. It's an acting masterclass and endlessly quotable, Give it another go LaGoosh.

Last night whilst channel hopping in a bid to fall asleep, I caught grisly 2001 rom-com Head Over Heels "starring" lunk-headed charisma vacuum Freddie Prinze Jr. and the mousy Monica Potter. She's a kooky arty type who lives with four wacky supermodels in a high-rise apartment that overlooks Freddie Prinze Jr's chest (honestly he goes shirtless in this thing in practically every second or third scene). Anyways, after falling... HEAD OVER HEELS for him, she thinks she witnesses him killing someone in his apartment, so she enlists the help of the models to find out the truth... while dating him! As you can imagine, all manner of hijinks ensue, complete with some of the worst bathroom humour and gay inneundo ever written into a script. Meanwhile, the acting from Prinze and Potter is so awful that words cannot do it justice, it has to be seen to be believed.

Infact, I am requesting, nay demanding that JLM review this.

• Paid Members
Watched the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Fucking brilliant.

I saw the trailer for that and the first thing I thought about was Karl Pilkington talking about being born old and living life backwards. I doubt i'd be able to take the movie seriously any more.

Phonebooth

My Colin Farrell weekend continues. It's a strange one, no doubt, and a bit of an experiment for a major studio film. Not bad, by any stretch, but more an interesting failed experiment than a great film. It's also incredibly short (discounting opening and closing credits, its 70 minutes, give or take) but that's no bad thing.

Edited by Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
Last night whilst channel hopping in a bid to fall asleep, I caught grisly 2001 rom-com Head Over Heels "starring" lunk-headed charisma vacuum Freddie Prinze Jr. and the mousy Monica Potter. She's a kooky arty type who lives with four wacky supermodels in a high-rise apartment that overlooks Freddie Prinze Jr's chest (honestly he goes shirtless in this thing in practically every second or third scene). Anyways, after falling... HEAD OVER HEELS for him, she thinks she witnesses him killing someone in his apartment, so she enlists the help of the models to find out the truth... while dating him! As you can imagine, all manner of hijinks ensue, complete with some of the worst bathroom humour and gay inneundo ever written into a script. Meanwhile, the acting from Prinze and Potter is so awful that words cannot do it justice, it has to be seen to be believed.

Infact, I am requesting, nay demanding that JLM review this.

I am also demanding!

Watched the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Fucking brilliant.

I saw the trailer for that and the first thing I thought about was Karl Pilkington talking about being born old and living life backwards. I doubt i'd be able to take the movie seriously any more.

The movie actually creates a more serious premise than the short story did.

The story actually has the character be old in both mind and appearance, so upon birth he's able to speak and acts like an old man. The movie has his mental state start off as a child and develops as a normal persons mind would.

Personally this made the story much more real for me.

Phonebooth

My Colin Farrell weekend continues. It's a strange one, no doubt, and a bit of an experiment for a major studio film. Not bad, by any stretch, but more an interesting failed experiment than a great film. It's also incredibly short (discounting opening and closing credits, its 70 minutes, give or take) but that's no bad thing.

Kiefer was a good choice for that movie. Even if he sounded nothing like the pizza delivery guy.

The Spirit

There's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

No character development, the storyline is very poor, acting terrible.

Really really dissapointing, one moment it's style is Sin City, next it's 300, next it's 80's animation done badly.

Very very poor.

Oh but it has Eva Mendes in a series of skimpy outfits and one glorious shot of her naked rear.

Still doesn't quite save it.

Good cast, but a dreadfully put together movie.

The Spirit

There's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

No character development, the storyline is very poor, acting terrible.

Really really dissapointing, one moment it's style is Sin City, next it's 300, next it's 80's animation done badly.

Very very poor.

Oh but it has Eva Mendes in a series of skimpy outfits and one glorious shot of her naked rear.

Still doesn't quite save it.

Good cast, but a dreadfully put together movie.

I just saw it and I didnt think it was THAT bad Unfortunatly its just not that good. Although if it werent for the gorgeous Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes' ass I may be in the same boat as you

SO many great films on yesterday!

Explorers - E4 - Remember this from my childhood, was so happy to see it!

An American Tail - Sky Movies - Feival the mouse gets lost, plus evil cats!!

Predator 2 - Sky Movies - No Arnie, but still amazing!

Cop And A Half - Channel 5 - Haven't seen this in years but by god I could not stop laughing! CLASSIC!