DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of films recently. Saw Definitely Maybe at the weekend. I liked it, have to admit. I quite like Ryan Reynolds and I'm in love with Isla Fisher and Rachel Weisz, so the casting suited me. It's an interesting spin on the chick flick, the plot is at least a bit different, but it's still fairly predictable. Nice and warm though, although with all of these sort of things, the dialogue is really overbearing at some points.

Last night, I watched The Good German on Sky. It's a B&W war film, starring Clooney, Cate Blanchett and the idiot from Spiderman 2. I thought it was pretty woeful really. It seemes to try so hard to be authentic that it forgot to be interesting. Blancheet was great, some of the dialogue was OK, but in general, a pretty dull plot and far to much use of the word 'fuck' so that it didn't have any impact. The BBC show New Tricks does better mystery every week. Really poor effort, nice score though.

Reading the worst films bit reminds me of something I saw a few weeks ago, Norbit. I turned it off halfway through. By far and away the worst film I've ever half seen.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Gotham Knight recently and i loved it. It's just a collection of ten minute animation shorts but they are all so well written and drawn you'd be hard press not to find a story you like. Don't worry about the first tale which is quite good but nothing new or special.

I rented the blu ray of Gotham Knight and really enjoyed it, especially the sixth one.

Reading the worst films bit reminds me of something I saw a few weeks ago, Norbit. I turned it off halfway through. By far and away the worst film I've ever half seen.

You should have stuck with it. It gets really good.
Ignore him, he's lying.Why would you want to inflict further pain on a fellow human being?

• Paid Members

Because it's a badly stitched together collection of Rob Zombie's favourite scenes from horror movies masquerading as an original piece of work?He's lucky the Devils Rejects was a huge improvement.It's strange though, House of 1000 Corpses is quite a favourite amongst my mates and always seems to get put on whenever we have a horror movie night. I don't really see what's so good about it either, to be honest.

Agreed with that. My ex had that movie and I had to force myself to sit through it. It rally put me off seeing Devils Rejects or anything Rob Zombie was affiliated with :(I just watched the first two Back to the Future films. I think I'm in the minority that like the third better. I hate westerns, but it seems a lot more fun than the others, though the detail in the 2015 Hill Valley set was nicely done. A lot better than alternate 1985.I may need to buy more DVD's if I'm going to continue working at home :(

• Paid Members

I just watched the first two Back to the Future films. I think I'm in the minority that like the third better. I hate westerns, but it seems a lot more fun than the others, though the detail in the 2015 Hill Valley set was nicely done. A lot better than alternate 1985.

I've always been under the impression that most people thought the 2nd was the weakest, which coincidentaly is my favourite. The ideas it explored such as cause and effect, divergent universes, the future and time paradoxes stimulated my young mind a hell of a lot more than either of the other films.

I just watched the first two Back to the Future films. I think I'm in the minority that like the third better. I hate westerns, but it seems a lot more fun than the others, though the detail in the 2015 Hill Valley set was nicely done. A lot better than alternate 1985.I may need to buy more DVD's if I'm going to continue working at home :(

I love the BTTF series and I did enjoy number 3 but I'd struggle to put it above 1 or 2. Don't get me wrong it's a fun film, but it's just too silly in parts. However it continues the story and 'finishes' it so I liked it in that way. Its far superior to Karate Kid 3 though :DWatched all 3 BTTF movies a couple of weeks ago, 2 has aged quite badly in places :(

I just watched the first two Back to the Future films. I think I'm in the minority that like the third better. I hate westerns, but it seems a lot more fun than the others, though the detail in the 2015 Hill Valley set was nicely done. A lot better than alternate 1985.

I've always been under the impression that most people thought the 2nd was the weakest, which coincidentaly is my favourite. The ideas it explored such as cause and effect, divergent universes, the future and time paradoxes stimulated my young mind a hell of a lot more than either of the other films.
It did the same with me when I was younger, but when I watched it years later when I was 21 the chopping and changing of timelines and circumstance made me think it was the weakest too as it killed a lot of momentum. I always thought getting rid of Jennifer was poorly done, but in fairness they weren't planning a sequel so without wanting her interfering with the Mary/Doc duo they had to do something to ditch her. I didn't know that until a few years ago, though.I still like it though, especially as it's one of the few films of the era that we saw the future as a positive place. Even the 'everything better for us in the future' Star Trek had gone dark and dingy.

• Paid Members

It did the same with me when I was younger, but when I watched it years later when I was 21 the chopping and changing of timelines and circumstance made me think it was the weakest too as it killed a lot of momentum. I always thought getting rid of Jennifer was poorly done, but in fairness they weren't planning a sequel so without wanting her interfering with the Mary/Doc duo they had to do something to ditch her. I didn't know that until a few years ago, though.

What?! BTTF3 was filmed at the same time 2 and was in the cinemas a year later. They actually ran a trailer for it in the cinema when 2 was on release, afte rthe last scene of the film if I remember correctly. In fact, it was blatant they were making a third film in the second film itself I'm frankly astonished you could make that statement.Anyway, BTTF2 is easily my favourite of the trilogy - I'm surprised that the general consensus is that it's the weakest because I've never seen it that way. Edited by elegia

It did the same with me when I was younger, but when I watched it years later when I was 21 the chopping and changing of timelines and circumstance made me think it was the weakest too as it killed a lot of momentum. I always thought getting rid of Jennifer was poorly done, but in fairness they weren't planning a sequel so without wanting her interfering with the Mary/Doc duo they had to do something to ditch her. I didn't know that until a few years ago, though.

What?! BTTF3 was filmed at the same time 2 and was in the cinemas a year later. They actually ran a trailer for it in the cinema when 2 was on release, afte rthe last scene of the film if I remember correctly. In fact, it was blatant they were making a third film in the second film itself I'm frankly astonished you could make that statement.Anyway, BTTF2 is easily my favourite of the trilogy - I'm surprised that the general consensus is that it's the weakest because I've never seen it that way.
I think you misunderstood......I meant they weren't planning on a sequel to the first film, which ended with the Doc coming back and taking Marty and Jennifer to the future. So when they got to the future, they ditched her by knocking her out (which at least led to something with seeing the future McFly's and then linked to the end of 3) but then as soon as they got back to 1985 they tossed her aside and we didn't see her again until the return to 1985 at the end of it all.As for the trailer and the end of 2 - I'm surprised it's been on every version of the film I've seen since, including the TV edits where they had no intention of showing the third movie.

• Paid Members

I think you misunderstood......I meant they weren't planning on a sequel to the first film, which ended with the Doc coming back and taking Marty and Jennifer to the future. So when they got to the future, they ditched her by knocking her out (which at least led to something with seeing the future McFly's and then linked to the end of 3) but then as soon as they got back to 1985 they tossed her aside and we didn't see her again until the return to 1985 at the end of it all.As for the trailer and the end of 2 - I'm surprised it's been on every version of the film I've seen since, including the TV edits where they had no intention of showing the third movie.

I was actually wondering if I'd misunderstood. I still question whether they were planning to make a sequel or not though - that's a pretty blatant set up at the end of the first film.

I was actually wondering if I'd misunderstood. I still question whether they were planning to make a sequel or not though - that's a pretty blatant set up at the end of the first film.
Didn't pretty much all films of that type in the 80's have some kind of "ooh I wonder if there will be another one?" ending regardless of whether they had one actually planned out?