DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attack The Gas Station!

This is a South Korean film from 1999 about 4 guys who rob a gas station for a laugh and decide to run it to try to make more money.

Everyone should see this movie! It mixes elements of action and comedy for all round great entertainment and is just serious fun to watch, the main characters are great and the supporting cast all have their little roles and it all comes together seamlessly.

The subtitles are great and the story is easy to follow. FUN FUN FUN

WATCH THIS MOVIE IN ANYWAY POSSIBLE!!

I watched Slither today. Imagine getting Night Of The Living Dead, The Thing and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and throwing them in a blender. The result is Slither. It's hardly the most original of movies but it's great fucking fun. A real blast to watch as it doesn't take itself too seriously, there's both laughs and scares and it has Nathan Fillion in it and he is probably the most likeable actor around today.

Really liked this film as well, saw it in the cinema last year and was pleasantly surprised.Saw 300 today, I really had no idea about the comic-book or anything so I went into see it with no expectations and it was alright. I mean, I can't ever see a point in time where i'd want to watch it again, but it certainly wasn't an unenjoyable film. Story wasn't up to much, but this film was all about the visual effects and they were glorious. I especially loved the first battle sequence with the slowed-down attacks where you could clearly see the droplets of blood fly. I think this is certainly a film you have to see in the cinema, as i'm sure it would lose a lot of it's grandeur on a smaller screen.If you don't mind a film, that is light on story and heavy on gore and FX, then I recommend this to you. Edited by Gossy

Back To The Future Part III

Not as good as the others in the trilogy due to a fairly poor script, and a lack of fresh character material. Plus the love interest for Doc is very grating and fumbled badly.

However, its got some decent concepts and ideas, the western setting is fun, and the train finale is great.

Deja Vu

I pretty much decided right from the word go that I'd have to really suspend any grip on reality for this one. Of course, this was pretty much useless, as the movie was beyond ridiculous. I just couldn't buy into the concept at all, and as a result, I hated the movie. Denzel Washington was watchable, and probably the only thing that made me watch it right to the end.

• Paid Members

Whats The Hills Have Eyes like?.. Its premiering on Sky Movies today ( I think!.. its the first time Ive seen it on ).. and Im thinking of watching it with my girl.. recommended? (disregarding the 'itll scare the shit outta her')

• Paid Members

the Dirty Harry films are genre films no doubt, but the character is so good their all worth watching...if your curious their selling the 5 disk boxset over on hmv.co.uk for

Lord Of The Flies

This film is very good, although doesn't do the book a lot of justice, due to being unable to truly demonstrate the dark pysche of the final chapter. It follows a bunch of evacuated kids crash landed on a deserted island in a apocylpatic future. The child cast is unconvincing at times, but do well with the emotionally tough material and no doubt harsh location.

The film is a good adaption in the sense it stays true to the book's morals, despite deviating from some parts of the material, and works well as a slow burning film leading to a thrilling climax in which the film manages to question human nature.

The Beach

I really like Danny Boyle's films, and with the release of Sunshine this week, I thought I would dig out one of his I hadn't seen yet. The Beach is the story of Richard (Dicaprio) who is a traveller in Thailand and stumbles across the world's most perfect beach with its own community, yet like Lord Of The Flies, the question of human nature and pysche soon casts a dark shadow over preceedings.

This film is lush to look out, and with myself travelling to Thailand as a traveller in a few weeks myself, whetted my anticaption, with even the dark scenes of the bustling Bangkok managing to convey the moodiness sense of the film.

As a thriller the film only works to a certain degree, with a fairly terrible climax involving Richard 'going a bit mental' and seeing himself in a video game amongst other parts which didn't hold up to the very very good first hour. However, as an insight to human nature the beach is certainly an interesting concept if nothing else, and is certainly a film which makes you pyscho-analysis every character through-out. I really enjoyed this film.

Terminator 2 Judgment Day

One of the handful of sequels which is much better than the first.

The weak story behind the Terminators return is convincing due to the fairly decent script and the strong lead performances.

The soundtrack and direction like the first carve a darkened sense of hell in the audience's minds and the action senses are very good.

The only downside to the film really being the slightly cartoonish-at-times Arnie making a mockery of his character in the first film, and the confused sense of narrative, but even those factors can't stop this from being one of the greatest action/ sci-fi flicks ever.

The Prestige

Chris Nolan's film from 2006 about rivarly between two Victorian magicians in London is one of the best written and well flowing films I have seen for sometime. It's intelligent use of narrative and editing mean that it takes a non-linear form, but instead cuts and dashes from various points in the two mens lives - building up really well for a finger nail biteing climax.

Hugh Jackman steals the show as the engimatic and show-man Robert Angier, proving himself far worthier of previous roles. Christian Bale is quite good as Alfred Borden, put chooses to over-play the cockney voice and seems far cartoonier than any other aspect of the film.

This is a dark, twisty film which tells a great story to the backdrop of a very interesting point in time - with a twist in the tale you'll never see coming.

• Paid Members

I watched Barbershop 2 last night. Very, very enjoyable. Ice Cube is probably my favourite actor and I love Cedric too. Excellent scenario, beautifully shot and with good story telling. Loved it.

:laugh:
What? I liked it, thought it was great. I actually saw Beauty Shop last week, which is the spin-off with Queen Latifah. Thought that was really enjoyable too.

I watched Barbershop 2 last night. Very, very enjoyable. Ice Cube is probably my favourite actor and I love Cedric too. Excellent scenario, beautifully shot and with good story telling. Loved it.

:laugh:
What? I liked it, thought it was great. I actually saw Beauty Shop last week, which is the spin-off with Queen Latifah. Thought that was really enjoyable too.
:yinyang: I've not seen the sequal but i do like the first Barbershop. I also found Beauty Shop to be surprisingly good