DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Running Man for the first time in years the other day.. its still surprisingly fun!

Yeah it was on Channel 5. Still fucking quality.
The book is far better - and it has good a different ending, a much more appropriate one. Although in post-9/11 world it probably would have to be changed anyway.SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
At the end of the book, the character Arnie is playing flys a plane into the Exec's high rise building - killing himself and the show.

Apocalypto

Have to agree with Nev here. Boring as hell. I fell asleep twice during the movie, which generally isn't a good sign. There is one thing that REALLY annoyed me about it.

The movie basically ended with more chasing. We just watched this guy get chased and then it ends with THOSE guys running.

Can't say I was the biggest fan of the movie at all.

Children Of Men

This has been getting insane praise in the States, where it's currently on cinema release. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not feeling this whole "one of the best films of the decade" buzz that's being thrown around by American reviewers. It has it's moments certainly, such as the spectacular scenes of war-torn devastation in the final act. The cinematography and editing in that section is absolutely breathtaking. The story is a little hokey but done quite well, and the acting is fine all-round, with no real standouts. Clive Owen is impressive as Theo, but his character doesn't have a lot to say. Perhaps that's the point, that he's been broken into submission by the world and his once free-spirited activist self is dead, but something in his performance feels lacking. Admittedly I watched it in work and had to pause it a few times, so I should probably give it a proper watch some other time, but on first impressions, I wasn't blown away.

Yeah, but does the book have Arnold Schwarzenegger in it? No. So you're wrong.

Yeh, but I couldn't remember the characters name so I said the guy who Arnie plays in the film. I don't understand what your arguing against? The fact that I thought the book was better or the fact that there is a different ending?United 93September 11, 2001. The nation was under attack by suicide hijackers, who hit Three famous buildings. The fourth plane United 93 consisted of 40 passengers who were strangers. Who sat through terrifying event. But found courage, rebelled and become hero's. And stood united. This is their story.I liked this film, and unlike a lot of films, chooses to educate its viewer instead of entertain. It is tough to watch and it keeps the viewer anxious throughout - which is remarkable since everyone knows the consquence of the flight. The acting, acted completely by unknowns, is spot-on, with the emotion sketched on their faces looking so real you can't help but wonder their emotional ties to the day.The film is editied very stylishly though - although this does not over-shadow the fick's substance. However, some of the editing during the scenes in the control centres did irratate - with sudden cuts and flashes detracting from the story's heart I felt.Overall a tough, yet essential film for the pubescent 9/11 years. It will no doubt go down in history as a snapshot of the feelings in the after-math of the tragedy.4.5/5Messiah 1: The First KillingsThis is the first time I have re-watched the first Messiah episode since it came out almost six years ago - it has held up very well indeed. Although the show takes more than just a smidgen from the film Se7en it manages to keep the audience interested by a strong leading cast (although the supporting cast are pretty bad at times), and enough twists & subplots to keep the story fresh. The programs move quickly - not allowing any time for stalling or boring over-analysis -, often using the gruseome bodies to re-awaken the viewer from a complacent state which some detective shows can offer. The complete series are well worth picking up on DVD if you can as they are some of the best post-2000 TV BBC has shown.