DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the national lampoons vacation boxset for a tenner. Ive always loved those films.Anyway recently Ive seen:IT: Another favourite of mine from the past which I finally got a copy of. The fact that I just read the book made it a bit disapointing, as even at 3 hours theres so much more in the book (obviously). Plus the film was split over 2 sides of 1 disc (which was odd) obviously it was pre double layer. Still enjoyed it though. Always though Tim Curry was great as Pennywise.Jet Li's fearless: Ok film. The action sequences are what I paid for, and they were great. Story was a bit meh though. Good to see an appearance from old milk nipples himself, Nathen Jones (and yes, Jet Li carried him quite well :p)

but when my girlfriend said there was a good movie with Stallone in it - I refused to believe it.

Rocky?Demolition Man?I think Stallone is quite under-rated in terms of acting actually.
His wonderful and understated performance in Cop Land shows how highly regarded as an actor he could have been if he hadn't chosen the popcorn route after Rocky II.

• Paid Members

Red Heat - of all the 'starring' Arnie movies this along with Raw Deal are probably the two least well known. I rate this over Raw Deal (which is a little too camp for it's own good), it's a solid 80's action/thriller. Arnie is lumped with incredibly dodgy russian accent but he plays the emotionless cop on foreign soil to a t. he's kinda like the cop version of The Terminator. If you like easy going 80's actioners...get it.

The movie is added to my list of wicked Walter Hill movies, that guy just consistently pumped out entertaining movies. He was never gonna challenge Hitchcock or anyone in terms of quality but their always entertaining. Anyone else a fan of Hill's work?

Black Christmas (2006)

Directed and written by Glen Morgan (Final Destination), Black Christmas (2006) tells the story about Billy, a young boy who was abused by his mother as a child. While his mother was cheating on Billy's father, she eventually killed his father and kept Billy in the attic. While she was with her lover wanting to start a new family, Billy's mother fell pregnant with a daughter. She treated her with the love Billy had never experienced from his mother and Billy eventually came out of the attic after years and brutally murdered his mother and her lover. Cut to present day as a group of sorority sisters consisting of Kelli (Katie Cassidy), Dana (Lacey Chabert), Lauren (Crystal Lowe), Claire (Leela Savasta), Heather (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), Megan (Jessica Harmon) and Melissa (Michelle Trachtenberg) and their house mother (Andrea Martin from the original movie), who now live in Billy's childhood home, find themselves being harassed by mystery phone-calls during Christmas Break. When one of the girls goes missing, the other girls begin being murdered one by one.

Utterly pointless remake, but there have been worse films this year. It passes 80-odd minutes, but it is not a film I would recommend seeing at the cinema (I cannot see how it got a theatrical release really except that some of the actresses in the movie are recognisable); wait until the DVD comes out in a few months time! The actresses are also given very little to do, the script at times is pretty poor and there is no tension or suspense. Through the film I found that it caters too much to the teen audience, with everything far too obvious (the camera pans to exactly where the killer is going to attack from seconds before he attacks and shows the weapons he is going to use in advance also), nearly everything is explained and there is no real mystery (whereas the 1974 original had mystery about the killer). Given the other movies Glen Morgan has been involved with (the original Final Destination, the 3rd Final Destination, Willard, The One) something never feels right with the Black Christmas remake. You know the film should be much better and there is always the feeling that a lot has been changed from what he wanted to make and what ended up being shown in the cinema. (In fact in an interview with one of the actresse from the movie, she said she didn't know how she ended up dying because the film was changed so much by Dimension Film and many scenes were re-shot)

The Mask of Zorro & The Legend of Zorro

A couple of fun family action movies with good casts, the required acting and exciting fight and action scenes.

Stranger Than Fiction

An IRS auditor (Will Farrell) suddenly finds himself the subject of narration only he can hear: narration that begins to affect his entire life, from his work, to his love-interest, to his death.

Could have done with more explanation (for example why can he hear her narrating his life?) and logic, but still a good film which is well written, original, funny at times and with very strong performances from Will Farrell, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman.

Talladega Nights

Tells the story of NASCAR stock car racing sensation Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell) whose "win at all costs" approach has made him a national hero. He and his loyal racing partner and childhood friend Cal Naughton, Jr., are a fearless duo with the ability to finish many races in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, with Cal always in second place. When a gay French Formula One driver, Jean Girard (Sasha Baron Cohen), challenges Ricky Bobby for the supremacy of NASCAR, Bobby must face his own demons and fight Girard for the right to be known as racing's top driver.

Though maybe too long and not quite as good as you would hope, Talladega Nights still has enough entertaining and funny situations throughout (the knife scene is my personal highlight) and it has the feel that most of the film is improvised (like the last Adam McKay/Will Farrell movie Anchorman). If you liked Anchorman you should get some enjoyment out of Talladega Nights, even though this film is not quite as funny.

BoratTwo scenes i couldn't stop laughing at, the nude fighting scene which ends up everywhere and the other was the bear in the ice cream van.That film is a must buy

Its out already?!!
I think he means it is a must buy when it come out on DVD...

Guest CULT OF PERSONALITY

BoratTwo scenes i couldn't stop laughing at, the nude fighting scene which ends up everywhere and the other was the bear in the ice cream van.That film is a must buy

Its out already?!!
I think he means it is a must buy when it come out on DVD...
Or maybe he has it on pirate,

• Paid Members

Just got the national lampoons vacation boxset for a tenner. Ive always loved those films.

Anyone seen the sequel to the Xmas one, based around Eddie & Katherine? Is it any good?

nah man, its bad...

if you're a Vacation fiend like myself it would be worth renting just to give it a view...Cousin Eddie is still Cousin Eddie at the end of the day, but it just aint the same without him playing off Clark's every move.