DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Moderators

I thought Nightwatch was one of the worst movies I had ever seen and turned it off an hour in because it was so mind-numbing it gave me a headache.That's just me though.

I agree with this, all the good bits are in the trailer. The first hour or so is fantastic, but after that it's just really, really dull and feels twice as long as it is.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat

Here's another gem I've only just got around to watch, and its pretty much as near to a masterpiece as a film can get.

For those of you who don't know what Heat is about, it follows Lt Vinncent Hanna (Pacino) trying to track down and convict a group of cons, who are terrorising LA, headed by Neil McCauley (Deniro). Its supported by an all-star cast (Val Kilmer, Ashley Judd, Jon Voight, Natalie Portman ...) and is directed by Michael Mann.

Due to Mann's style, the LA surroundings and photography are fully utilised, creating a visual backdrop second to none, and not just serving as pleasant on the eye but also plot devices throughout.

Sure it's a cop flick, but more than being about the cat and mouse antics of the cat and mouse style story, it is an explicit snapshot of human nature and choice, it is a compact summary of what Mann clearly views as the mechanics of everyday occurances placed under extreme stress. The subplots to each character is complex and twisted with each is a powerful subtext, which is not fully revealed till the last shot has been fired in the closing scene.

Simply stated, this film is genius. Managing to manevour around the simplicity plot holes of the 'cop' genre, Mann has created a stunning canvas of human life and emotion second to known, which is kind to the eye yet persistently juxtaposing the viewer's perspective.

5/5

• Paid Members

I saw Big Nothing last week.

It's Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer and Alice Eve. I was in two minds whether to see it but there wasn't really anything else at the cinema I wanted to see. It was really good though. It was a very black comedy in the same vein as Shallow Grave. There was something quite British about it. It's quite tense with twists and turns that are quite unexpected. Pegg's American accent is hard to get used to but I think it's the first time I've ever seen Schwimmer not be Ross from Friends. I definitely want to see this again.

Oh, and Rammstein's played quite a bit.

Are you trying out for Sight And Sound?

yeah, chill it out a bit ukedge87 will ya?

If you don't want to read my reviews then don't. But don't tell me how to write them.Heres how you would want my review of Heat to go:"Heat is well good, coz its got the one of out of Godfather in it and the one of out of Meet The Parents too! It has loads of gun and fights which is really fun to watch. The good guy is well clever, but so is the bad guy, like in Lethal Weapon. I like it.

• Paid Members

ScumThis film from 1979 was Alan Clarke's picture on the brutality of the British Borstal. It focuses in on a number of new entrants into the borstal; Carlin (Ray Winstone), Davis and Banks, as well as examining long time inmate Archer.This piece is very very brutal, with possibly one of the worst rape scenes in the history of flim (not only in the act itself, but the after-effects are soul scarring). The cast are very strong, with Winstone demonstrating why he is one of Britain's best, as he goes from keeping his head down to super violent angle of vengeance in the film's duration. Infact the most fluid scenes is also its most violent, as Carlin goes to the game room, fills a sock with two pool balls and batters the wing's 'daddy'.The film also looks at the other spectrum of inmate - Archer. Intelligent, and very aware of this, Archer demonstrates his rights to the point of refusing to wear leather due to his Vegetarianism. He acts as the film's voice, vocalising Clarke's damnation of them borstal system through his intellectual arguments which get him nothing but a longer sentence.Harrowing, yet breathtakingly well producded and shot, Borstal should be considered one of the great British films of the 1970s, and is still painstakingly effective, as the argument underlining the film is still very valid in 2006.5/5

Tremendous film. The greenhouse rape scene is one of those few scenes I always turn it over when it kicks off. Brutal, brutal. Why would a bunch of prisoners think raping a newbie is funny? Doesn't that make the rapists gay? Ach well.I wonder how a modern-day remake of "Scum" would do. Edited by bAzTNM

ScumThis film from 1979 was Alan Clarke's picture on the brutality of the British Borstal. It focuses in on a number of new entrants into the borstal; Carlin (Ray Winstone), Davis and Banks, as well as examining long time inmate Archer.This piece is very very brutal, with possibly one of the worst rape scenes in the history of flim (not only in the act itself, but the after-effects are soul scarring). The cast are very strong, with Winstone demonstrating why he is one of Britain's best, as he goes from keeping his head down to super violent angle of vengeance in the film's duration. Infact the most fluid scenes is also its most violent, as Carlin goes to the game room, fills a sock with two pool balls and batters the wing's 'daddy'.The film also looks at the other spectrum of inmate - Archer. Intelligent, and very aware of this, Archer demonstrates his rights to the point of refusing to wear leather due to his Vegetarianism. He acts as the film's voice, vocalising Clarke's damnation of them borstal system through his intellectual arguments which get him nothing but a longer sentence.Harrowing, yet breathtakingly well producded and shot, Borstal should be considered one of the great British films of the 1970s, and is still painstakingly effective, as the argument underlining the film is still very valid in 2006.5/5

Tremendous film. The greenhouse rape scene is one of those few scenes I always turn it over when it kicks off. Brutal, brutal. Why would a bunch of prisoners think raping a newbie is funny? Doesn't that make the rapists gay? Ach well.I wonder how a modern-day remake of "Scum" would do.
As long as they didn't make it PC then it would probably be alright.But I thought we did away with borstals in the 80s?

If you don't want to read my reviews then don't. But don't tell me how to write them.Heres how you would want my review of Heat to go:"Heat is well good, coz its got the one of out of Godfather in it and the one of out of Meet The Parents too! It has loads of gun and fights which is really fun to watch. The good guy is well clever, but so is the bad guy, like in Lethal Weapon. I like it.
Oh look, he kept digging.

Oh look, he kept digging.
Yeh, because doing a film write-up in a style you don't appreciate shows I'm digging myself into a hole.Good one.

• Paid Members

Calm down ladies.Anyways, has anyone seen The Three Burials Of *insert long Mexican name here* by Tommy Lee Jones? I got it for a fiver at Blockbusters but havewn't watched it yet, is it any good?

Edited by LaGoosh