DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Munich again and my opinions have completely changed. In terms of Avner's characterisation, the look and feel of the film and how the story was told and its ultimate climax it may be Spielberg's best.Everything about it was fantastic and Eric Bana as the tortured Avner was one of the best performances of recent times in my humble opinion. It still had all the traces of a Spielberg film (the search for family and a home) but I'd take Munich as the best told example of his common themes from all of his work.My eyes were opened to Munich this time and I'm really pleased they were. Fantastic.

• Paid Members

banged in two films last night that both had a similar kinda theme...

Apt Pupil - this was a pretty sinister movie, a young boy recognises a Nazi war criminal living free in the United States, instead of reporting the guy, the boy becomes obsessed with him and bribes him into telling him all kinds of stories of the holocaust. The boy however re-ignites the evil in the guy and it all goes tits up. Great film, Ian Mcklelan is awesome as the runaway nazi...creepy/evil performance.

Capote - biopic about legendary American novelist Truman Capote, this tracks the writing of his book In Cold Blood. Capote befriends/uses the criminals his book is based on to make the book. The main reason to see this is Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance, to see what he turns himself into is pretty amazing, there's a small piece of footage of the actual Truman on the dvd extra's and the likeness is incredible. The thing i loved about this is, it really makes you sympathise with the criminals, you kinda go through what Truman went through (the writing of the book pretty much ruined his life), at first it's all about writing the book, but he cant help but bond with the criminals despite the fact that they committed a truly unforgivable crime. The ending is devastating. Brilliant.

• Paid Members

That's a bit of an eye-opener.I didn't think anyone liked AI.

Empire gave it 5 stars.
Empire also gave King Kong and the Lord Of The Rings movies five stars. Fuck Empire.
...and deservedly so. But let's not revisit that old argument.I enjoy reading Empire, but their reviews can often be shaky.

That's a bit of an eye-opener.I didn't think anyone liked AI.

Empire gave it 5 stars.
Empire also gave King Kong and the Lord Of The Rings movies five stars. Fuck Empire.
...and deservedly so. But let's not revisit that old argument.I enjoy reading Empire, but their reviews can often be shaky.
Agreed. But their general consenus is usually a good indication of whether a film is worth seeing or not.

• Moderators

Didn't Empire also give rave reviews to Walk the Line?I saw that this weekend and it was the biggest load of shit.Safe to say I don't put a whole lot of stock in their opinions... in fact I've yet to find a movie critic who's opinion I can, by and large, trust to go on. If anyone's got any suggestions, that'd be cool.