DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

The Castle Of Cagliostro

As I said a before, I rate Spirited Away extremely highly and wanted to check out some more Studio Ghibli films. Porco Rosso, which I watched a couple of weeks ago, was a dissapointment. The Castle Of Cagliostro, however, has redeemed Studio Ghibli in my eyes. It truly is a great movie.

The main character, Lupin, who I believe was originally seen in an anime and manga series, is a flamboyant thief. After a robbery, Lupin and his gang aim to overthrow an evil count as they discover that the bills are all counterfeits produced by him.

The story is definitely one of adventure and a romance soon comes into play. Combined with some funny slapstick, exciting action and a set of colourful characters, The Castle Of Cagliostro is superb. It's like a perfectly executed mix of Indiana Jones and James Bond.

I've got Princess Mononoke to watch next, which I hear is quite good.

Edited by Van_Dammer

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Lethal Weapon 4Watched this for the first time last night! Loved every minute of it!It had pretty much everything.. action.. funny moments.. and of course the brilliant JET LI!. I cant remember the other Lethal Weapon's being as good as this one.

• Paid Members

The Pink Panther (2006) - ive been catching up on Steve Martin films, ive already watched Sgt. Bilko and The Jerk this week, so i bumped up a load to the top of my online rental list. The Pink Panther was sent to me, i had doubts over this, reviews were not good and until this week i had no intention of seeing it. I've never seen any of the old Pink Panther movies either so i cant compare (a lot of the dislike for this is from people who were fans of the origional). Anyways...

This was a really good movie, very fast paced and packed with gags...sure, some of the jokes fall flat (as they always do in this kinda film) but it kept a smile on my face for the full 90mins and there were at least 3 laugh out loud moments in there that were excellent (the accent coaching scene is brilliant). Martin was the best thing about this easily (Beyonce's hotness was pretty fucking great too), i dunno how much he compared to Peter Sellers but for me it was a very funny character, the accent was quality.

If your into comedies i'd check this, if slapstick physical comedy is what your into, you definatly gotta see it. Underrated.

ive been catching up on Steve Martin films, ive already watched Sgt. Bilko and The Jerk this week...

I just have to say; The Jerk is awesome. Anyone who loves comedy and hasn't seen it should definitely check it out. It's easily Steve Martin's best film.

I've never seen any of the old Pink Panther movies either so i cant compare

Rent them now!

• Paid Members

City Of GodGreat Great Film.. Definately deserves all the praise it got on here and Yahoo films. Had a great story that really made you think.. And the scene with the two young kids was real disturbing.Overall a brilliant movie.

• Paid Members

Just watched "Silver" with Atsuko Sakuraba. I've seen it on the shelves of the video store for a while, and it's always caught my eye, because a) the blurb mentions a Japanese women's wrestling promotion, and b) Sakuraba has a mighty fine looking pair on the cover.Alas, it's not that good. It looks like a TV movie, the wrestling element is small, and the fight scenes are often silly. I'd say watch it when it's on Channel 5 and there's nothing better on, but I doubt it will ever air on UK TV.

• Paid Members

Some bloody awful Michael Caine film. Woolworths are hyping it in posters becauses its ONE POUND!~~~!~!~!~~!. Its called "Shadow Run", and it has him and James Fox in it. A horrible, horrible film.I don't know why Wollies keep on pimping it.(*/*****)I've yet to see a Michael Caine film I've liked.

Being John Malkovich

I think this movie is genius. It opens in a fairly strange way, which effectively sets the tone, and doesn't really let up at any point. Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) is a puppeteer and quite a sad guy. His wife, Lotte (Cameron Diaz), isn't much better and is obsessed with animals. Craig starts a new job and, there, discovers a tunnel that leads into the head of John Malkovich, who plays himself as the title suggests.

So, it's a weird film, much to my liking. It's not necessarily trippy, though, but very interesting and rather unique. It does make you think at times and, throughout, you draw comparisons between aspects of the story.

There are plenty of great scenes, such as the journey into Malkovich's head and then seeing through his eyes and the restaurant bit, but the unorthodox moments are definitely the best. The comedy in this film is just as good. There were at least two parts that had me rolling.

Excellent stuff.

Edited by Van_Dammer

Pulse (Japanese) = Very disappointing.The 4400 season 2 = outstanding, now kicking myself I hadn't watched it earlier so I could now follow season 3 on Sky3Arachnophobia = I HATE spiders, so I hated this film. but then I guess that was the point of it

Dances With Wolves

Plot: Lt. John Dunbar is a Civil War veteran, exiled to a remote outpost to keep an eye on the Sioux Indians. Alienated from his own, Dunbar befriends and eventually joins the Sioux.

This was Costner's directorial debuted, and it is still a powerfull piece of film to watch. The film stands out for its beautiful landscape, lulling soundtrack and a wonderful tale of human nature through some brillant acting. The presentation of the US Army may appear to be slightly one-sided, however the underlining imagery ensures that this film is not political, it is a uplifting yet saddened film about human nature. For instance, the use of the wolf to represent Costner's role in the natural world (e.g. Wolf - Tame to costner, Costner tame to Indians and the free nature of the culture).

I think the message of the film, let alone the lush set, make it an important flick, however when you add its stunning looks it becomes trully classic.