DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched John Rambo.

If you've seen the previous three films, (particularly First Blood Part 2), then you'll know exactly what to expect from this one.

Pretty gruesome scenes involving the genocide, when you know that that sort of stuff actually happens.

The usual death count, but with some major splatter.

I love the first three, and this fitted in perfectly for me.

Anyone seen "Reign Over Me"? Stuck it at the top of my rental list after reading some good reviews. Wondered what some of you guys, Mr Seven in particular, thought if you've seen it?Apologies if it popped up earlier in the thread, I haven't read the whole thing.

Rick,it did appear a few pages back in this thread. Check out the comments:

I have just finished watching Reign Over Me starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler in a uncommon serious role. The story tells the tale of Alan Johnson (Cheadle), a succesful New York dentist who runs into his college room mate Charlie (Sandler) who he hasn't seen in years. Charlie has lost his wife and 3 daughters in one of the planes used in the 9/11 attacks and has pretty much become an extremely intoverted recluse. Charlie has managed to "forget" everything that has happened in his past and so when he runs into Alan he doesn't recognise him. The film follows Alan's efforts to help Charlie deal with his issues and get some professional help.Although this film doesn't sound like a bunch of laughs I though it was a very powerful and imotive piece of cinema. The two leads were fantastic especially Sandler and it was nice to see him play away from his normal roles. The soundtrack was used as part of the story (they are all songs that Charlie has on vinyl or on his Ipod) and it supplies some cracking tunes, even Bruce Springsteen gets a few tunes in there.I really can't recommend this film enough, I thought it was fantastic.That film is fantastic, really underrated, and easily Sandler's best role yet. I was welling up near the end during the court case, when Charlie finally breaks down. Such a good film, and the use of music is brilliant.This is actually the second time I have seen this film and both times there have been 2 scenes that always get to me. It's the initial scence outside the shrinks office where Charlie first talks to Alan about his family (great acting by Sandler, the director uses a lot of lengthy shots just on him and the emotion he portrays is heartbreaking) and the scene where Charlie goes back into the hearing and speaks to his wife's mother and father. That bit where he kisses her on the cheek and then leaves is great as well. One of very few films recently that has made me well up. Awesome flick.I agree, both of those scenes were brilliantly acted and the scene you mentioned at the end, when he goes back into the hearing, is my favorite of the entire film.

All in all a fantastic film, you should DEFINATELY check it out.

Managed to dig up The Ultimate Matrix Collection. Must say , now that everybody surpringly enough has forgotten about the trilogy and the fad of hating the sequels has died down , I have realised two things.1. The sequels are nowhere near as good as the original , but are still good.2. The original still kicks ass. And still has about 15 genuine moments that make you go 'Thats pretty fucking cool'.

Edited by Toilet Duck

Managed to dig up The Ultimate Matrix Collection. Must say , now that everybody surpringly enough has forgotten about the trilogy and the fad of hating the sequels has died down , I have realised two things.1. The sequels are nowhere near as good as the original , but are still good.2. The original still kicks ass. And still has about 15 genuine moments that make you go 'Thats pretty fucking cool'.

I've got that and I never really had too much of a problem with the sequels although that might have more to do with the fact that I never really considered the first film to be that much of a life changing experience. The extras can be a bit of a slog though - they really do seem to be under the impression that they are re-inventing the wheel.I also find it amusing that they talk so much about the technology and efects when you consider that the Matrix has some of the worst motion capture in the history of film making. Stare intently at 'Neo' during the playground fight, Roland on the Ropes has more consistant animation.

I've got that and I never really had too much of a problem with the sequels although that might have more to do with the fact that I never really considered the first film to be that much of a life changing experience. The extras can be a bit of a slog though - they really do seem to be under the impression that they are re-inventing the wheel.I also find it amusing that they talk so much about the technology and efects when you consider that the Matrix has some of the worst motion capture in the history of film making. Stare intently at 'Neo' during the playground fight, Roland on the Ropes has more consistant animation.
I second the extras. The hoards of Australians who play the various other ship captains and crews are amongst the worst thing about the sequels. The other being anything and everything to do with zion.The matrix is at its best when it is just that - in the matrix. I take leather and uzi's over rice bowels , rags , and multicultural wachowski brothers rave scenes any day.Also , no cypher in the sequels. And only about 30 minuets of total screen time for the merovingian - when he clearly deserves about 2 hours.

• Moderators

I second the extras. The hoards of Australians who play the various other ship captains and crews are amongst the worst thing about the sequels. The other being anything and everything to do with zion.
I think he was talking about bad DVD extras whilst you are talking about bad actors in non-speaking roles.

I watched then Matrix and in the cinema expecting this life-altering film and it bored the shit out of me. Plus, Keanu Reeves is so fucking crap at acting I was praying to be stuck blind. ONE film he's been in that I can watch and that's 'The Devil's Advocate' with Al Pacino. No surprises for guessing which actor makes that film enjoyable.

Do a sociology A Level, then watch the Matrix, you will never see it in the same light again.

Not really. People who do sociology are of the disposition to see depth in everything. If I did said A Level it wouldn't change my view of either the film or the validity of subject. Its not a lack of understanding - I get many of the ideas that they are trying to reference its just that it isn't in a paticuarly interesting way. Also using others ideas is all well and good but unless you add some of your own it really is a futile exercise. I would challenge anyone to come with a single original thought the Matrix Trilogy produced on the nature of our existence.Its throw-awy sci-fi hokum, good stuff but please don't try and kid yourself that it is anymore of a intellectual stretch than Star Wars. Edited by Joe_the_Lion