DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched I am Legend today. It was alright, Will Smith is really good in this, sadly his slow mental demise (talking and arguing with mannequins) was met with regular rounds of the guffaw from my fellow cinema-goers.

New York in disarray, was done awesomely in The Stand (I adore both the book and the made-for-TV film) and I assumed this would top that. However, in my humble opinion it didn't. It's strange theres not a lot I really didn't like, but it just didn't grab me. Which is strange as I do like the end of the World films. I suppose I felt there could've been a hell of a lot more put in (the amount of things that happened could easily have made this film a 3hr movie and it wouldn't have dragged, rather than just overlooking a load of stuff) and I guess, they must've blown the majority of the budget on special effects which didn't even add up to a minute.

It was alright, it's a spectacle to see and there are a few genuinely "jumpy" moments, but I can't say this was great, it was just average and is solely saved by the believability of Will Smiths performance.

Edited by Gossy

New York in disarray, was done awesomely in The Stand (I adore both the book and the made-for-TV film) and I assumed this would top that. However, in my humble opinion it didn't. It's strange theres not a lot I really didn't like, but it just didn't grab me. Which is strange as I do like the end of the World films. I suppose I felt there could've been a hell of a lot more put in (the amount of things that happened could easily have made this film a 3hr movie and it wouldn't have dragged, rather than just overlooking a load of stuff) and I guess, they must've blown the majority of the budget on special effects which didn't even add up to a minute.

There is something wonderfully macabre about that sentiment :) I do find though, that armageddon based films are a great way to spot a bad actor. If you struggle to make the END OF THE EFFIN' WORLD seem, at least, partially important then you're probably there because of the way you look.Case in point; Jake Gyllenhall

This Is EnglandI wasn't alive in the 80's so i dont know how accurate it is, but i still think its a quality film. Quite sad in some parts and maybe smalll things are a little unrealistic but it was still good nonetheless. 7.5/10

I must see this, I think the 80s and 70s were more violent in the era when we had more to protest about I was just a kid in the 80s but I remember on the news all the riots in the black areas of cities like Brixton, Tottenham and Notting Hill in London then Toxteth in Liverpool then there was Thatcher closing the coalmines and other cut backs and closures and all the strikes that went with it. Then there was the Poll Tax which was the nail in Thatchers coffin. There was football hooliganism and more of a divide in youth culture with the skins,punks, casuals and what such like. Since rave culture and the end of Thatcher things are not so bad in this country just a shame so many people are dope heads and don't stand up for what they believe in anymore. People complain about New Labour but many people can't appreciate how much worse the Tories were. I remember blackouts we don't get those anymore on a big scale.
Its pretty much about the brits being sour that the asians are taking their jobs and that people are dying in the pointless Falklands War.
It was not ANYTHING to do with people being sour that asian are taking their jobs, it was to do with people looking for weak minorities to blame due to the political and social climate of the country.Even though I am a staunch Labour or Lib Dem voter, Duane, I thought the blackouts were in the early eighties as the after effect of the ineffectual Labour government in the 70's (going down to the 3 day week and that).
No need to get technical
I'm not. I'm just explaining that the film is not about asian people taking jobs.
I was joking dear

I got a couple of older DVD's from my online rental yesterday.Spawn: - Whilst more mature that your usual comic book movies it was very average. It's also dated horrenduslyOnce Bitten: - Jim Carrey's first film apparently. Dumb 80's fun, I was half laughing at it & half with it. Definetly worth watching once more if you haven't seen it for years.Hopefully I'll get a better mixture next time!

This Is EnglandI wasn't alive in the 80's so i dont know how accurate it is, but i still think its a quality film. Quite sad in some parts and maybe smalll things are a little unrealistic but it was still good nonetheless. 7.5/10

I must see this, I think the 80s and 70s were more violent in the era when we had more to protest about I was just a kid in the 80s but I remember on the news all the riots in the black areas of cities like Brixton, Tottenham and Notting Hill in London then Toxteth in Liverpool then there was Thatcher closing the coalmines and other cut backs and closures and all the strikes that went with it. Then there was the Poll Tax which was the nail in Thatchers coffin. There was football hooliganism and more of a divide in youth culture with the skins,punks, casuals and what such like. Since rave culture and the end of Thatcher things are not so bad in this country just a shame so many people are dope heads and don't stand up for what they believe in anymore. People complain about New Labour but many people can't appreciate how much worse the Tories were. I remember blackouts we don't get those anymore on a big scale.
Its pretty much about the brits being sour that the asians are taking their jobs and that people are dying in the pointless Falklands War.
It was not ANYTHING to do with people being sour that asian are taking their jobs, it was to do with people looking for weak minorities to blame due to the political and social climate of the country.Even though I am a staunch Labour or Lib Dem voter, Duane, I thought the blackouts were in the early eighties as the after effect of the ineffectual Labour government in the 70's (going down to the 3 day week and that).
I can't remember to be honest only being quite young at the time what the cause of the blackouts were but things weren't good with the labour government in the 70s and I'm sure many people were relieved to have someone tougher in power when Thatcher took over as the country was already in a crap state. One of Maggies few plus points in my opinion is that she took a tough stance on the Falklands War with no help from Reagan from what I understand. I think Argentina was a country America wanted on their side in that cold war era where they didn't want Communism spreading from Cuba throughout South America. Edited by Dynamite Duane

I don't watch that many films so this year I'm watching 1 a day. So far so good, although I watched 1408 last night and the less said about that the better. Almost definitely one of the worst experiences of my movie watching life. Avoid it.

• Paid Members

I don't watch that many films so this year I'm watching 1 a day. So far so good, although I watched 1408 last night and the less said about that the better. Almost definitely one of the worst experiences of my movie watching life. Avoid it.

You're just upset that, regardless of what hotel you go in and despite your hopes being raised, you'll never be attended to by Samuel L Jackson. :(I watched The Thing yesterday, not bad at all. The effects were pretty damn good and the paranoia between the characters was brilliant. John Carpenter + Kurt Russell = Goodness.

Over christmas I watched a load of films, thought I'd sum up my thoughts:I am Legend: Got to agree with Gossy here, nothing I disliked about it, but nothing grabbed me either. Not a film I'd go out of my way to see again, but it was refreshing to see Will Smith in this kind of role.Stardust: Really liked this. I was a bit annoyed at Ricky Gervais playing the exact same character as he always plays, hopefully he'll find some acting talent soon to go with his writing talent. But otherwise a good fun film.Balls of fury - I didnt mind this. It was incredibly generic, almost seemed like Will Ferrel should have been in it, but it was good to see Lo Pan back on the screen :) Made me laugh in places, but nothing great, seen much better, seen worse.Black Sheep - Freekin' hilarious! Not sure it was meant to be, but I'm sure it was supposed to be fairly tongue in cheek. Laughed my head off at this, for some reason sheep are just comedy gold.Halloween (2007) - Not a fan of remakes, but I am a fan of Halloween. I liked the way they spent more time showing Michael Myers' childhood rather than just the 5 minute intro in the original. I was glad it wasn't a scene for scene remake too, I was glad I didn't know what was coming next even though I had seen the original. Much better than I was expecting.Hotrod - At first I was dreading this was going to be something like Napolean Dynamite (which was fucking shit), but I was glad to see a bit more humour rather than faux-bad acting. Nothing amazing, but kept me entertained.Superbad - This one surprised me, I was expecting generic teen comedy, but what I got was generic teen comedy with lots of great lines. Extremly funny in places and some excellent one liners. I'd definately recomend this to anyone who fancies a no-brainer to watch.Rush Hour 3 - I love Jackie Chan and I enjoyed this. Nowhere near his best and not as good as the first two. Not enough fight scenes either for my liking. Still enjoyable though.

Edited by KFR42

• Paid Members

Balls of fury - I didnt mind this. It was incredibly generic, almost seemed like Will Ferrel should have been in it, but it was good to see Lo Pan back on the screen :) Made me laugh in places, but nothing great, seen much better, seen worse.

You know.. I thought Jack Black would have been perfect for the main role. Even thought it was him when I caught a glimpse of the trailer a few months back.

i watched it a few days ago too and im glad i downloaded it rather than paying any moneydamnn it was shit!
But the post office destruction scene is the best thing going, in fairness.On topic I watched Smokin' Aces, still as good as I remember it and that is rather good. Seriously, I enjoyed it.