DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Finaly got round to watching Fantastic Four:Rise Of The Silver Surfer.

I enjoyed it. The cheesyness got almost unbearable in parts, but I think without it the movie/franchise would be a bit dull. I was marking out like a bitch over a lot of it since the whole story is probably one of my top 5 comic book stories of all time. The CGI on the Surfer was great, I realy regret not seeing it on the big screen. The way they portrayed Galactus worked for me, if they'd gone with a huge humanoid dude in a pink and purple costume I'm pretty sure it would have ruined the film, but for the world of Marvel movies it was perfect. I esspecialy loved the way you could almost make out the face of Galactus when Surfer was inside it.

Not a great film by any means, but as a Marvel fanboy I found it highly enjoyable. Although Im guessing if your not a fan or even familiar with the story then the storyline may seem kind of camp and B movieish.

Mild recommendation if your not a Fantastic Four fan, High recommendation if you are (although Im guessing it'll be like the first one where you either kind of like it or absolutly hate it.)

go see 3:10 To Yuma if your into Western's, i aint seen it yet but im looking forward to it.

I'm not a fan of western films, but this looks pretty good. You can't go wrong with Christian Bale.
Velvet GoldmineOk he's not bad in the film but overall its crap and i absolutely hated him in Empire of the Sun

• Paid Members

I agree with CoreyVandal on Fantastic Four. I thought it was a vast improvement on the first one, although one part of the dialogue really done my nut in:SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
When Galactus is destroyed, one of the 4 says "We did it".No you didn't you glory-hogging gimp. You just stood there like plums as Silver Surfer risked his life destroying Galactus by himself :angry:Edit: What's up with the other spoilers not showing?

Edited by Stug Rivers

Rogen's good as usual. I'm unsure as to how I'm "wide of the mark" but whatever.

It's definitely not as amazing as everyone is making it out too be, and i find it random how it's being deemed "The next American Pie". I really enjoyed it though, and thought the cops/Mclovin' adventure was the best part of the movie.

I watched Being John Malkovich for the first time in years this afternoon. Its such a fun watch, with a great cast, perfect sunday afternoon film. John Cusack is great in the lead role, with Malkovich being really gutsy agreeing to and performing in such an abstract protrayl of his life and career. The soundtrack was great too, with the soft classical music subtly suggesting the complete madness of the situation. This is a true modern fariy tale.

Also has anyone seen the bonus interview with director Spike Jonze on the DVD, it last about 3 minutes, and ends with Jonze pulling over his car and vomitting on the road (pre-cursor to his Jackass days?). Really odd.

• Paid Members

Superbad

This was pretty good.. not as funny as some people are saying (I found 40 year old virgin and Knocked up much funnier).. but it did have some real laugh out loud moments. I thought McLovin was the funniest of the lot.. I couldnt stop laughing at the inhaler scene (one of the scenes I didnt really expect to laugh at). Rogen didnt have as much of a role as I hoped.. I've loved nearly all of his film appearances so far.

Overall.. something I'd probably watch again for some of the jokes.. but way behind Knocked up and 40 Year old virgin.

Death Proof

I fucking LOVED this! Seriously.. I didnt expect to like it that much.. but it was just great. The film didnt have much of a point to it in story terms.. but fuck it.. it was a great movie.. not like the usual Tarantino movies where the scenes are scattered around.. but he did add an annoying 'old fashioned' effect to the screen.

Kurt Russell was awesome.. Zoe Bell was awesome.. and the black girl stole the show

Great film!

Edited by Murtz

Death ProofKurt Russell was awesome.. Zoe Bell was awesome.. and the black girl stole the show

I initally read that as Zoe Ball. "The children's tv presenter?! In Death Proof?!" :laugh: **Mr BrooksKevin Costner, Demi Moore and William Hurt - really good film. Costner plays a guy addicted to killing people. He doesn't want to do it but he's addicted. Very enjoyable.

Death Proof

It was alright, which was just what I was expecting really. There was just nothing for me to get excited about. Although our first introduction to the interiors of the Death Proof car was rather good. Kurt Russell deserves the praise he gets for this one. Nobody else made me want to give a shit.