DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Hapkido

Another kung fu "classic" I'd been wanting to see for years, particularly as I'm a Hapkido practicioner myself.

The plot is very reminiscent of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, with several actors reprising essentially the same role in this film as they did in Fist of Fury. This time, it's the Japanese having a problem with the Koreans having a school.

Plenty of future stars are apparently in this one. I spotted Jackie Chan (as a member of both the Korean school and the Japanese school. Two timing bastard!), Lam Chin Ying and Yuen Wah. Apparently Yuen Biu is visible, but I didn't spot him.

The action scenes are a mixed bag. At the beginning we get Chi Hon Choi (the "father of modern Hapkido") doing some fantastic joint lock work, and Whang In Sihk with his trademark kicking awesomeness. Apart from that though, most of the fight scenes are typical early 70s big swinging punches and crescent kicks. Not particularly Hapkido-based at all.

All is not lost though, as you've got Samo Hung, Carter Wong and Angela Mao Ying in the lead rolls. Mao Ying has a reputation as a respectable, wholesome woman, but in this she absolutely smoulders. There's some underlying sexual chemistry between her and Wong, and she looks like she could fuck you into a spinal brace, and then demand a refund.

In short, it's good, but unbalanced between really good stuff, and just okay stuff.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Prestige

Amazing film. I was amazed to see David Bowie. Anyways, most of the developments were stunning. There were times when you wanted BOTH men to just give up their obsession, but then the thrilling ride just drew you in. The performances from Hugh and Bale were stunning. I'd say it's probably the best film of 2006.

Like Mike 2 - For anyone still wondering if the rumour of Kel(from Kenan and Kel) is dead then wonder no more. He plays the brother of a guys ex wifes cousin, helping manage her son to become big on the street basketball scene after he finds a pair of basketball sneakers one night that make him magically amazing at basketball. ABSOLUTLY CRAP 1/100*

The PrestigeAmazing film. I was amazed to see David Bowie. Anyways, most of the developments were stunning. There were times when you wanted BOTH men to just give up their obsession, but then the thrilling ride just drew you in. The performances from Hugh and Bale were stunning. I'd say it's probably the best film of 2006.

I've had this for a while but never been bothered to watch it. Thanks to you i got my bed time film :thumbsup:

Is Film 4 the American dubbed version of Taegukgi / The Brotherhood? even though ive got the Region 2 Ive seen the American dub and it makes me cringe.I saw Das Leben der Anderen from a DVD I loaned the other day from a mate who bought in the German released Which he asked me to add subtitles if I ripped the DVD.Intresting but slow movie I thought, but very to the point, Good Bye Lenin I think is a better East German set movie even if its a little later.

Edited by remlap

Is Film 4 the American dubbed version of Taegukgi / The Brotherhood? even though ive got the Region 2 Ive seen the American dub and it makes me cringe.I saw Das Leben der Anderen from a DVD I loaned the other day from a mate who bought in the German released Which he asked me to add subtitles if I ripped the DVD.Intresting but slow movie I thought, but very to the point, Good Bye Lenin I think is a better East German set movie even if its a little later.

From what I have seen of foreign films on Film 4, is they tend to go for subtitles rather than dubbed.

• Paid Members

Anybody see that film last night on BBC1 "Return to the River Kwai" with Edward Fox and the late Chris Penn?Seen it a few times before, and I loved it.

didnt see it last night, but ive seen it before...good movie, bit of a forgotten one.

• Paid Members

Anybody see that film last night on BBC1 "Return to the River Kwai" with Edward Fox and the late Chris Penn?Seen it a few times before, and I loved it.

didnt see it last night, but ive seen it before...good movie, bit of a forgotten one.
Yeah, its criminally forgotten IMO.

Saw Ghost Rider today. One of the worst films I have seen in 2007 and one of the worst comic-book movies I can remember seeing as well. Poor story, laughable script, dire bad-guys (who Ghost Rider beats with no difficulty at all), effects ranging from ok to poor (the effects for the wind bad-guy in particular were bad), poor acting and far too long for what it was (nearly 2-hours). Cage was probably the highlight of the film (he seemed to be having fun in the part, delivering the awful dialogue he was given), while the rest of the cast were mostly poor (including Eva Mendes who had little to do playing a pretty pointless character).

• Paid Members

Downfall

I thought this was a really good film. I love this subject-matter anyway but this film really showed how schitzophrenic Hitler was during his last few days. It was a very claustrophobic film I thought - lots of intense close-ups and it really made you feel like you were in the bunker with them. I didn't quite understand the role of "Peter" though. I didn't say at the end what happened to him after the war. Was he real?

United 93

Probably one of the best films I've seen in a while. I had to be in the right frame of mind to watch this. I liked how it was in real time and that it really drew you in without exploring the characters too much. You know how it ends but you're still rooting for them to succeed. Powerful and touching.

Ghost Rider

Christ, Nic Cage is fuckin' old. Seriously he seems to have aged ten years since Wicker Man. Dodgy hairplugs and fake teeth too. Oh yeah there was a film. It sucked. You might like it if you're into movies that are way too long, incredibly slow, mindnumbingly boring and feature terrible acting and worse dialogue. I wondered what happened to Wes Bentley since American Beauty. Sadly he's still "acting" and he's definitely still being hilariously miscast. I was never into the Ghost Rider comics but I doubt Blackheart is supposed to resemble the singer from My Chemical Romance pre-peroxide. Shit villain too, and as for the elemental demon that flame-boy defeats with ease? Less said the better. Sam Elliot must have watched Blade to prepare for his role as he's basically Whistler 2.0. What's the point in establishing that if Ghost Rider gets stabbed, he'll wake up with a knife wound that needs treatment, and then having him get shot about 800 times and he's fine and dandy the next morning? Lazy writing. I'm trying to think of highlights, and apart from Eva Mendes' spectacular cleavage, I can't think of anything.

3 months into 2007, and I already have 3 films for the Worst of the Year list.