DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I personally thought Spinal Tap, although amusing, was over-rated.The mockumentary style was fresh but still a little rough around the edges, and in my view The Office in terms of mockumentary, totally owns it.

I can understand that, but I really love the improv aspect of Spinal Tap and the reactions of the actors make the film. I found that the more I watched it, the more I appreciated the subtler moments and the more I loved it.Naked Gun has nothing on the Holy Grail, and I love Naked Gun.Also, Walk the Line was AMAZING.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I found Walk The Line to be pretty average and very biopic-by-numbers.

It was pretty by-the-numbers but I don't see anything wrong with that. I think the movie would have been average if they cast two different people but Pheonix and Greesy Reese were so good it was ridiculous. Being a big Johnny Cash fan helped alot aswell.

Snakes On A Plane

This film has no inabitions about what it is - a entertaining horror come disaster come action movie. So when your laughing at certain parts of its refreshing compared to certain films which take themselves too seriouslly and still end up looking ridicolous.

Jackson is an embarssment in the film though! He looks fat and looks as if he is going through the motions throughout the whole film (and the includes the you know what line).

The film is enjoyable but stupid, perhaps only just worth your fee to get into the cinema.

I could go into more detail but I can't be arsed right now.

• Paid Members

ShopgirlI really cant believe i watched this! It had Steve Martin in it so I thought it would be a laugh, and although the film had a few interesting moments, overall it was pretty pointless really40 Year Old VirginWatched this again yesterday, definately one of the funniest films released last year, I think it had most of the Anchorman crew in it too!.For those who havent seen it yet... the wax scene is a good enough reason alone to watch!

• Moderators

I found Walk The Line to be pretty average and very biopic-by-numbers.

It was pretty by-the-numbers but I don't see anything wrong with that. I think the movie would have been average if they cast two different people but Pheonix and Greesy Reese were so good it was ridiculous. Being a big Johnny Cash fan helped alot aswell.
Did the huge amout of historical innacuracies not bother you?I haven't seen the film, but I ask because my friend who is a huge Johnny Cash fan complained about this a lot...

• Paid Members

I'm a big fan of his music, not the man himself. I knew little to do details about his personal life rather than the big facts that most people know so the innacuracies flew over my head.

Edited by LaGoosh

Also, Walk the Line was AMAZING.

There is nothing amazing about it.
Maybe there was nothing striking in it, but I don't know why, something got me greatly involved in his life and the story, yes it was just a bio-pic by the numbers, but it was of a fascinating man and had two AMAZING performances in it. I thought Joaquin Phoenix was tremendous.

McMahon

I watched the documentary portion of the DVD. All-in-all, it's a pretty interesting watch just to hear some of the comments from the McMahon family, but it has its fair share of positives and negatives.

It starts off by leaving out any information on Vince's childhood and essentially jumps straight to 1984. Then, there's another overt jump to 1997; this time to the Montreal incident. Of course, we get more of the usual, "Bret screwed Bret." The subsequent Attitude era segments are enjoyable. There's a look at plenty of classic Austin Vs. McMahon moments and some interesting bits on how Triple H and Stephanie's relationship formed. By the way, I forgot how incredibly hot heel Stephanie used to be, circa 2000.

Although some of the documentary is clearly used to stroke Vince's ego, I'm glad that there is a balance of opinions at times from WWE employees and even other members of the McMahon family. Vince's reasoning in defending his bad ideas is usually thin or unconvincing. I wonder why they didn't even mention the WBF, though. :D

The latter half of the documentary is fairly weak. When it covers Vince's activity over the last couple of years, it's apparent that his character has become very stale.

Edited by Van_Dammer

• Paid Members

McMahonI watched the documentary portion of the DVD. All-in-all, it's a pretty interesting watch just to hear some of the comments from the McMahon family, but it has its fair share of positives and negatives.It starts off by leaving out any information on Vince's childhood and essentially jumps straight to 1984. Then, there's another overt jump to 1997; this time to the Montreal incident. Of course, we get more of the usual, "Bret screwed Bret." The subsequent Attitude era segments are enjoyable. There's a look at plenty of classic Austin Vs. McMahon moments and some interesting bits on how Triple H and Stephanie's relationship formed. By the way, I forgot how incredibly hot heel Stephanie used to be, circa 2000.Although some of the documentary is clearly used to stroke Vince's ego, I'm glad that there is a balance of opinions at times from WWE employees and even other members of the McMahon family. Vince's reasoning in defending his bad ideas is usually thin or unconvincing. I wonder why they didn't even mention the WBF, though. :DThe latter half of the documentary is fairly weak. When it covers Vince's activity over the last couple of years, it's apparent that his character has become very stale.

Is this available in your local high street store?/me rushes to HMV.