DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Smallville: The Complete First Season

So according to the mate who loaned me this I unfairly declared Smallville shit based on the handful of episodes I half-watched and if I gave it a proper chance I'd love it. With alot of spare time at the moment and no cash to fill it with I decided I might as well give it a try. I went into it with an open mind and genuinely wanted to enjoy it, honest. I couldn't though because it's shit, which is a huge shame because it starts off great. Brilliant visuals, impressive CGI, subtle nods, interesting plot, fucking around with religious imagery, I LOVED the pilot and was already planning on how I was going to pick up the other four seasons once the credits rolled.

But then it all went to shit soon after. Almost instantly it descends into this awful "freak of the week," pattern in which every episode features the exact same plot; random new character is introduced, random new character is revealed to have a superpower (always attributed to the debri left from the Kryptonic meteor shower, no variety to be found here my friend), random dude gets defeated by Clark, the end. Seriously, every single episode. Now even if you can get past how tedious this is (you can't) and how fucking lazy the writing is (you really, really can't), the fact that seemingly everyone in Smallville has super powers completely kills the novelty of Clark having them himself. Why consider him different if he's actually just the king of what's normal? And why is he even hiding his powers if it's a regular occurrence to meet Bug-Man, Fire-Man, Ice-Man, Ability-to-Become-Young-Man or Weight-loss-Girl? By the way, I made none of them up, including Weight-Loss-Girl.

Also, to conclude this rant there's this fantastic concept introduced in the pilot where Clark's love interest wears a tiny piece of Kryptonite on a necklace as a tribute to her dead parents, meaning Clark can never get too close to her without feeling sick. It's a great idea and it's used brilliantly in the first few episodes, with who's got possession of the necklace driving the plot forward. Then comes episode five or six and for no apparant reason it no longer affects Clark and he can hang with his woman even though DEADLY POISON IS HANGING FROM HER NECK. I can't put into words how annoying it is to see it just hanging there as they chat over a cup of coffee.

I made it to episode nine before deciding I was wasting my time. For all I know this show could have improved dramatically as it moved into seasons two through five. I'll never know though because it's physically impossible to make it through Season 1. It's as if they're gloating at how shit they're getting away with being.

Edited by ELsupremo

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magnolia

A film about several interlinked characters and their peculiar interaction with each other over the course of one day in San Fernando Valley, California.

Through the stories presented, there are a number of themes apparent in Magnolia, which are absolutely pivotal to the film. As it progresses, you'll understand the common elements in each case. With a running time of over three hours, this film is lengthy, but remains engaging and truly feels like an epic drama.

The direction, use of music and acting are all magnificent. John C Reilly, Jason Robards, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Melora Walters, Julianne Moore and Philip Baker Hall seem perfect in their roles. However, Tom Cruise's performance really stood out to me. It's practically common knowledge that he's perceived as somewhat of a lunatic nowadays - I, personally, came to that conclusion after he split with Penelope Cruz - but he can act and I don't think you have to look much further than Magnolia to evidence that.

Anyway, Mangolia is a fim that you'll either consider to be great or overly pretentious. I liked it.

Edited by Van_Dammer

Recently watched Scarface which was good but I can't say I'd want to watch it again. Cant wait for the game though! Also watched SWAT which was good and The Usual Suspects which started off a bit slow but the end was awesome.

• Paid Members

Recently watched Scarface which was good but I can't say I'd want to watch it again. Cant wait for the game though! Also watched SWAT which was good and The Usual Suspects which started off a bit slow but the end was awesome.

Scarface is overrated IMO. The soundtrack is excellent though, which I'm currently trying to download.Giorgio Moroder, around that time of the eighties, was tremendous. Edited by bAzTNM

I decided last night to watch any odd moive on sky. I turned to a moive that had only just started called The Jacketwas pretty kool. a guy is in a asylum and get locked up in a jacket every night and placed in a freezer(ones they use to keep the dead in) when in the freezer he travels into the future where he finds out that he has 3 days(back in his really time) before he dies.basicly he trys to find out how he dies and how the mother of this lady he just met will die. all he knows is he get knocked on the head and dies but he doesn't know who hits him(i willn't tell you incase you haven't seen it)over all i would give the moive 4 out of 5 i would easily watch it again but i think it maybe a bit like watching a saw moive twice you know whats going to happeni was surpirised how many stars where in the moive Adrien Brody(King Kong),Keira Knightley(pirates of the Caribbean) and Kris Kristofferson(Blade seires)

DuelThis is absolutely stunning stuff. I wish I could go into a big review like some people to describe it's awesomeness. I didn't expect the movie I got here. Steven Spielberg isn't everyone's favourite director, but I think everyone should see this movie. It's a thriller that definately surpasses what he did with Jaws.

Richard Pryor - Live On The Sunset Strip

In this stand-up from 1982, Richard Pryor touches on a number of subjects, such as racism, relationships, his recent trip to Africa and experiences with drugs.

Pryor is nothing short of brilliant in this performance. The material is good, but his impeccable timing and delivery makes Live On The Sunset Strip a definite classic. Pryor comes across as genuinely funny throughout, especially when he talks about the filming of Stir Crazy, and his vivid personality makes him extremely likeable. Accordingly, the crowd are great during the show and seem to love every minute of it.

Live On The Sunset Strip isn't as explicit as most other stand-ups, such as Eddie Murphy's Raw, as Pryor usually finds humour in the simplest things. However, it's clear that he had a huge influence on Murphy and many other comedians.

Edited by Van_Dammer

Alright, so maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere on the board, but Final Destination 3 is out on DVD on Monday.However, you can now change the whole film (if you wish) and decide if somebody dies or not. You also have the opportunity to kill people who didn't die originally.I officially declare this as awesome.Maybe they could re-release the Sixth Sense with an option to have Haley Joel Osment tortured with power tools at various points in the film.

' date='Jul 22 2006, 20:20' post='1337814']Alright, so maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere on the board, but Final Destination 3 is out on DVD on Monday.However, you can now change the whole film (if you wish) and decide if somebody dies or not. You also have the opportunity to kill people who didn't die originally.I officially declare this as awesome.

That reminds me of the Give Yourself Goosebumps books where you could choose your own fate. (Go to page 54 etc...). I used to cheat of course! :smug: Edited by CaptainCharisma

Currently watching Inside Man, anyone seen it?

I know others on here didn't like it, but I found it to be very good.Tzameti (13)A very impressive debut film by French filmmaker G