The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

• Paid Members

Man there's so much good shit happening. I may just hit up Jae now that he's restarted his DVD business and go backlog-kerrazy when I get paid this month. I know he's been there for a little while now, but I'm still excited that they've brought in KAGETORA. I've missed out on almost all of Genki's heel run too, and that saddens me greatly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I am bumping this thread as a symbol of my commitment to catching up with the only promotion capable of re-kindling my wrestling fandom.

My aim is to get bang up to date by October, so I can go to the UK DG show and be as up to speed and nerd-tacular as I used to be. Reviews will be forthcoming. Yes they will.

• 3 months later...

Ahead of my Tokyo trip next month, during which I will be taking in Dragon Gate at Korakuen Hall, I'm trying to at least catch up on the amount of Infinity I've missed.

Not being familiar with all the new factions, I popped over to Jae's site only to find he's shut it down with the following message:-

Nine years ago, I started Toryumon USA to both support something that I loved, and to challenge myself. I've had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends (and enemies), and had some great experiences. Unfortunately, it isn't fun anymore. I am not really sure who or what it is I am supporting now. So with that said, I am permanently closing dgusa. I am keeping a few options open, such as a DG themed blog with results and stuff, but it would not be nearly as comprehensive as this site was. It would also be more, opinionated, I guess the word is. So. I guess this is where I say "So long, and thanks for all the fish". It's been real, internet. Cheers.

Jae

So now where do we go for English language DG goodness? :(

Nine years ago, I started Toryumon USA to both support something that I loved, and to challenge myself. I've had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends (and enemies), and had some great experiences. Unfortunately, it isn't fun anymore. I am not really sure who or what it is I am supporting now. So with that said, I am permanently closing dgusa. I am keeping a few options open, such as a DG themed blog with results and stuff, but it would not be nearly as comprehensive as this site was. It would also be more, opinionated, I guess the word is. So. I guess this is where I say "So long, and thanks for all the fish". It's been real, internet. Cheers.

Jae

It's been coming for the last year. He's been down on the product more than usual, he got the SSS DG board deleted etc. not shocked in the slightest. Somebody else will step in sooner or later.

Strange, he's actually been updating with more info than he has for most of the year and with DGUSA and The UK show coming up seems an odd time.

So now where do we go for English language DG goodness? :(

Just keep checking the SSS DG Board the crazies will find the news for you.

There's no point trying to go though archive.org either

We're sorry, access to http://dgusa.puroresufan.com/ has been blocked by the site owner via robots.txt

classic-cabana on the crazymax board posted this

someone has managed to save a lot of info using Google cache, link below

http://www.mediafire.com/?zgiwmzdemwo

• 2 months later...

Wow this thread's been neglected.

Bumped for bad news too.

Alan4L over on DVDVR posted

So after the awesome Buyuden main today (with Hidaka replacing Sawa), Taku Iwasa announced his retirement due to his ongoing neck issues.

Shingo and the fans appealed for him to reconsider, and he sorta agreed, saying he's put a pin in the retirement but he was going to need to take a significant absence.

Sad stuff, but I'd rather him heal up than keep wrestling on the bad neck.

A world with both Florida Bros gone. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Dude!

JUN had a match on Tuesday!

I've babbled on here many times about how sad I was when he had to retire early because he was one of my favourites and now he might be on the comeback trail. He worked a match for Secret Base, losing to an opposition team featuring his fellow T2P graduate (and comedy genius) Kinya Oyanagei. I hope this works out, because if he starts working again I'll be looking to track down every televised amtch he has.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

DGUSA is directly affiliated with the main Dragon Gate office but it seems more like Gabe running shows with whatever DG talent is made available to him each time. The fact that there are plenty of US indy guys on the shows means that they still come off more like spot shows like the one we just had in Oxford than actual DG shows. In fact, Mark Sloan's card for Oxford was a lot closer to an authentic DG card than the DGUSA ones. That said, Kendrick vs Hulk and Amdrag vs Doi are appealing matches.

Oh, and if you were asking about dgusa (as in the website) that's jae's own site but his fan site has been so good and so prominent for so long that he is acknowledged by DG as a support site and has a bio on their site and gets news/line ups/press releases from the head office. He also seems to have hand in helping to promote the DGUSA shows.

Dude!

JUN had a match on Tuesday!

I've babbled on here many times about how sad I was when he had to retire early because he was one of my favourites and now he might be on the comeback trail. He worked a match for Secret Base, losing to an opposition team featuring his fellow T2P graduate (and comedy genius) Kinya Oyanagei. I hope this works out, because if he starts working again I'll be looking to track down every televised amtch he has.

JUN made his comeback last month for Secret Base. Bit of a shock and it's not the best time for him to come out of retirement with El Dorado gone but good to see him back.

Another comeback

From DGUSA

Zetsurins came out after the main, Mochi again answering Doi on his generation battle challenge. CIMA and Gamma also came out, siding with Mochizuki, Fujii, and Kishiwada. This brought out YAMATO who went right after CIMA, gaining revenge for earlier. Takagi and Tozawa also came out.

This eventually lead to a challenge for a 5 vs. 5 generational battle. Doi, Yoshino, YAMATO, Takagi, Hulk vs. CIMA, Gamma, Mochizuki, Fujii, Kishiwada. Tozawa however basically said "Dude I'm here too, I'm so in this". CIMA told him that he was garbage and that his side could add Stalker and make it 6 on 6, but then deferred to Mochizuki who had another idea.

This brought out former Dragon Gate member Takuya Sugawara, making his first appearance since the "firing" of Aaganiisou in 2004. He will side up with the old timers to make it 6 on 6.

They appealed to Yagi to make the match for the 12/3 Korakuen. He noted that King of Gate was supposed to start there, but this idea was much better so they will re-schedule. The match was made, and will be a Naniwa Style Elimination match.

Anthony W. Mori came out after this, and addressed "Henry" (.....).

Since their rivalry was never really settled, a match was made for the Buyuden at the end of this month. Mochi will team with Mori vs. Sugawara and his ZERO1 life partner Minoru Fujita.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'm psyched about a Sugawara return too. Excellent news all round. JUN is full time for Secret Base now, which is just amazing. Tsumujin and Onifuusha for the win.

2 returns and 1 goodbye....

From DGUSA

Effective today (11/15), Cyber Kong has been released from his contract with Dragon Gate Pro Wrestling.

Kong himself asked for the release, due to his neck injury not healing properly. He felt he would not be able to perform or appear at a satisfactory level for fans, so he chose to resign.

Kong had been absent since October 23rd, when he injured his neck in training. Given the short time that has passed since, the injury must be severe.

Interesting coincidence is that this is nearly 3 years to the day Kong made his Japanese debut, on the 2006 CROWN GATE tour.

Archived