The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking at the unfolding Sumo Hall line-up and wondering if I really want to go any more.

It's the only DG show on in Tokyo while I'm there and technically it is the tenth anniversary show (although I'm coming to the conclusion that they're saving any big Xth Anny stuff for World), but apart from the main, I can't think of anything I want to see on the show.

The Juvi match is a wate of some talented people's time... and Hulk's in it too. While it'd be kinda cool to see Abby live, the OTG match will be a shit-fest. A title change would be pointless as you're stuck with an even worse situation that the current one, where you'd go from two guys and a useless fat outsider as champs to two crap outsiders and a washed-up old man.

I don't give two shits about the O-PRO guys. In fact in the two matches I've seen him in, I've thought Tigers Mask was bloody awful. What is point, Dragon Gate? What is point?

It looks like they're loading a ton of matches with outsiders in an attempt to get it to draw (worries that they've bitten off ore than they can chew by booking Sumo Hall?). It's turning into a Japanese 1PW.

And just who is Shisa going to defend against? I don't really understand why K-ness had to drop the belt so soon, unless he's hurt and they're just not telling anyone.

The DG show I went to at Korakuen Hall was an absolute blast an the best time I've ever had at a wrestling show, so I'm seriously tempted to get a train out to one of the smaller shows in a different city instead. I have a feeling they'd be "purer", for lack of a better term, and more fun.

Quick question; Is there a complete roster list with pictures for Dragongate?

Im trying to learn the names instead of calling them Jap guy #1 and Jap guy #2

So far I have;

CIMA, Gamma, Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi, Ryo Saito, Shingo Takagi, YAMATO, Akira Tozawa, KAGETORA, Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, PAC, Haskins, Susumu Yokosuka.

Its like some crazy trading card game!

They sort of are, but there's a lot of infighting going on in RH at the moment. Genki has left for Warriors, which I think makes them the only two members of Clean Fight Side left, so they're kind of floating at the moment.

I hope the units settle down soon.

2/27/2010 Kyoto, KBS Hall - 950 Attendance

0. Super Shenlong 50 Match Series #38: Mark Haskins (5:27 Cradle to the Grave) Super Shenlong

1. Yasushi Kanda{W}, Kzy (10:54 Sugawara Red Box -> Schoolboy) BxB Hulk{L}, Masato Yoshino

2. 3 Way Match: KAGETORA (8:45 Diving Elbow Drop) Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa{L}; Genki Horiguchi

3. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii{W} (12:52 Japanese Leg Roll Clutch) Naruki Doi, PAC{L}

4. Susumu Yokosuka (10:02 No Contest) Takuya Sugawara

5. Open the Brave Gate: Super Shisa (22:37 Tornado Yoshitonic) K-ness

*K-ness fails in V2, Shisa becomes the 17th Champion

6. KAGETORA contra KAGETORA: YAMATO, Shingo Takagi, Akira Tozawa{W} (22:27 German Suplex Hold) CIMA, Gamma{L}, Dragon Kid

BxB Hulk interfered during match 4 to attack Sugawara, causing the no contest.

Quote from IheartDG.........

3/3/2010 Tokyo, Korakuen Hall

1. Takuya Sugawara (7:00 Shiisanputa) Genki Horiguchi

2. MAZADA, NOSAWA Rongai{W} (9:04 Super High Grade La Magistral) Don Fujii{L}, Gamma

3. Super Shisa (9:04 European Clutch) KAGETORA

4. Masaaki Mochizuki (10:51 Saikyou High Kick) Makoto Hashi

5. CIMA, Dragon Kid, Juventud Guerrera{W} (13:24 Juvie Driver?) Naoki Tanisaki, PAC, Mark Haskins{L}

6. Yasushi Kanda{W}, Kenichiro Arai (14:29 Diving Elbow Drop) K-ness, Susumu Yokosuka{L}

7. Naruki Doi{W}, Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk (22:25 Bakatare Sliding Kick) YAMATO{L}, Shingo Takagi, Akira Tozawa

Looks like REAL HAZARD is no more. The Sugawara/Kanda/Araken/Kzy group is now called DEEP DRUNKARDS (or something like that, might be Drunkers. Drunkards makes more sense in English though).

Munenori Sawa made an appearance, in his ring gear. Shisa asked him why he came dressed that way. Sawa thought the Brave Gate match was today. Shisa corrected his stupidity and told him it was at Sumo Hall. Genki came back out, and managed to get himself put into the match, making it a 3 way.

CIMA & Kid came out without Juvie, and said he was nowhere to be found. Never has a delayed arrival been so believable. Sadly, he did eventually show up.

Afterwards, CIMA was pleased with the results, and discussed the WARRIORS Sumo Hall plans. Genki now has a match, Kid has his thing with Juvie, but there was no Twin Gate match yet. This brought out Shingo, who threw out a challenge, but didn't mention a partner. CIMA asked him whether it would be with Tozawa or KAGETORA. Shingo said it was neither, and was calling on his strongest tag partner. This brought out Cyber Kong. In his wrestling gear. We now have a Twin Gate match. CIMA told Shingo to be careful, since Kong may run away in the middle of the night again.

The numbers game overwhelmed KneSuka, heavy Drunkards involvement and box hitting caused their loss. Afterwards, some arguing lead to match being made for Sumo Hall. Kanda, Araken, Kzy, and Sugawara vs. KneSuka in, for now, what seems to be a 4 on 2 handicap match. Susumu said if DD loses they will have to split, although that isn't necessarily a stip yet.

Despite losing the first preliminary skirmish, YAMATO remained steadfast in his statement that the one opening the the new door in Dragon Gate wouldn't be Shingo, Hulk, or even Tozawa, but himself.

Alot of news today, i really though it would be Black Buffalo & Tigers Mask who would get the twin gate shot. The Sumo Hall Show still needs something, but its coming together. The SAWA stuff is a bit odd, i dont know his character that well but it seems a bit strange. I wonder who will be KneSuka partners?

Sawa has a history of turning up days late or early for matches and promos, forgetting to bring his title belt to matches and press conferences...that sort of thing. He's always portrayed as a bit of an oddball. Him Vs Genki and Shisa should be fantastic though.

Where can I get a DEEP DRUNKARDS shirt?

Complete Sumo Hall card, courtesy of Jae:-

3/22/2010 Tokyo, Ryougoku Kokugikan ~ COMPILATION GATE 2010

0. Anthony W. Mori, Kotoka vs. Super Shenlong, Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa

1. Akira Tozawa, KAGETORA, Mark Haskins vs. Naoki Tanisaki, PAC, Makoto Hashi

2. 2 vs. 4 Handicap Match: K-ness, Susumu Yokosuka vs. Takuya Sugawara, Kenichiro Arai, Yasushi Kanda, Kzy

3. Open the Brave Gate 3 Way Match: Super Shisa vs. Genki Horiguchi vs. Munenori Sawa

4. International Dream Tag Match: Dragon Kid, Juventud Guerrera vs. BxB Hulk, Masato Yoshino

5. Open the Triangle Gate: Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii, Akebono vs. NOSAWA Rongai, MAZADA, Abdullah the Butcher

6. Open the Twin Gate: CIMA, Gamma vs. Shingo Takagi, Cyber Kong

7. Open the Dream Gate: Naruki Doi vs. YAMATO

Way too much no-mark outsider involvement, but there's plenty of decent stuff there too and the last two matches should be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I was ill and bed-ridden at the beginning of the week and spent a day reading through all six years of this thread. While the same stuff kept coming up ("Hi. Can anyone tell me why DG isn't called Toryumon any more?" x 1,000,000), it was really interesting to see things like the people we thought were shit (Tozawa, Tanizaki, Jet Takagi, Cyber Kong) who turned out to be great just a couple of years later.

Anyway, I'm now in Tokyo and, unless they've somehow sold out, it looks like myself and Mr. LightningInTheJungle will be attending the Sumo Hall show. I just wanted to check: is there anyone still following DG spoiler-free?

Just wanted to ask before blundering in here with results and opinion after the show.

it was really interesting to see things like the people we thought were shit (Tozawa, Tanizaki, Jet Takagi, Cyber Kong) who turned out to be great just a couple of years later.

When did anyone STOP thinking "Jet" Takagi was shit?

Some people dug the "Ooooooooooooooh JET~!" flurry and some started to warm to him. I prefer the other Takagi personally.

it was really interesting to see things like the people we thought were shit (Tozawa, Tanizaki, Jet Takagi, Cyber Kong) who turned out to be great just a couple of years later.

When did anyone STOP thinking "Jet" Takagi was shit?

Some people dug the "Ooooooooooooooh JET~!" flurry and some started to warm to him. I prefer the other Takagi personally.

Sanshiro?

From Jaes dgusa site....

Doi & Yoshino gloated over their complete decimation of KAMIKAZE in recent weeks. They won in the tag in Osaka, the 6 man in Korakuen, and now in 8 man action. Doi said he would finish it out with the singles win at Sumo Hall. WORLD-1 left, leaving KAMIKAZE to wonder what was wrong.

Shingo wondered whether YAMATO was good enough to challenge for the Dream Gate after all his losses. YAMATO wondered why his "friend" wasn't encouraging him, and just focusing on his own title match.

Tozawa jumped in and wondered why Takagi was teaming with someone like Cyber, leaving him & KAGETORA in the opening match. Takagi said KAMIKAZE was his unit, and he would decide how it progresses, but generally things seemed to settle down at the end.

But, just when it looked like things were stabilizing in the unit shuffle............

Looks like KAMIKAZE is breaking up. I approve of this development.

Archived