Worst "great match" for you?

air_raid

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Was inspired by a random Twitter poll to think about a match that I thought was rubbish, and lots of people thought was great. What hugely lauded "great" match do you actually think was rubbish?

For me, it's HBK vs Ric Flair from Mania 24. Disregarding the terrible melodrama at the end which you either loved or hated (and has retrospectively earned some real hatred over the years), I just didn't think it was good. The premise didn't give me any suspension of disbelief that this wasn't, in fact, Flair's swansong or that Shawn wouldn't be beating him. Plus, the match just wasn't that good. I think both aspects came into play for most of Flair's WWE run - his credibility was completely knackered through a series of TV jobs, once he loses to Rico on TV he's got no business being presented as a realistic thread to any major player, he's clearly done. His matches tended to be stale retreads of "the Flair formula" or just him bleeding for effect if the stip needed it. The only time I felt like he was out of his comfort zone was that match with Angle on Raw where he and Kurt kept finding ways of trying to prove who was better at cheating, that was a different dynamic, but otherwise Ric was a spent force. The match felt a waste of "Mr WrestleMania" on the big stage and I just didn't think it was any good either in execution or for pulling an emotional reaction out of me. But plenty of people seemed to love it?

What about you? The only caveat I'd add - don't bother with the Iron Man match from Mania 12, PLENTY of people think it was overhyped and boring and anyone saying it was brilliant has never watched it and are just pretending because it was Bret vs Shawn.

Edited by air_raid
I am ice cream man, running over children with my van

• Paid Members

the Triple H/Undertaker Hell In A Cell match. Might be one of my least favourite matches ever, because every single moment of that match feels like it's been created in a lab to squeeze the maximum amount of "drama" out of it, and there's a direct through-line from this shit to NXT wrestlers going bug-eyed and staring at their hands wondering What They Have Done. It's every worst instinct of WWE main event wrestling all thrown into one match, and the absolute pinnacle of "tell, don't show" - it's an exercise in the company telling the audience that this is a Big Match, the End Of An Era, that these are two of the biggest stars ever, rather than just having a match to show you that.

I think the Shawn Michaels/Ric Flair match has a lot to answer for in this regard too - it seemed like every Triple H match after that featured a match where he was obviously reaching for an "I'm sorry I love you" moment, and every single one felt forced and desperate; in his ladder match with Kevin Nash there's a bit where Nash throws up the Kliq hand gesture, Triple H does a crotch chop, and then hits the Pedigree, and it's absurd to try and make that sequence of events poignant. The Trips/Taker Hell In A Cell is just stretching that out to an entire match.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Saw this on Twitter yesterday and nearly threw my phone out the window. The best near fall of all time? It’s the absolute worst. My most hated trope, in its ultimate, wankiest form. Either cost Taker the match, or don’t, you whopper. If you’re going to Superkick him, then just count the three whether he kicks out or not.

Fuck off with all this internal conflict. I just think less of Shawn for being an indecisive knobhead. Was he this much of a nightmare when they were trying to decide where to eat after the show? Shaking his head, staring at his hands, muttering to himself, wide eyed, unable to decide between KFC or Burger King. Those final few seconds after Undertaker kicks out, where he’s completely freaking out? The birth of NXT melodrama, right there. Directly responsible for this shit.

IMG_8356.gif.0234f5e74bd67cfe2fc9b5074a1b4a41.gif

Anyway, the answer is obvious. The biggest red flag in pro-wrestling fandom is whenever anyone refers to the Bret vs. Shawn Iron Man match as anything but a steaming pile of shit.

One I need to go back and re-watch is that first Moxley vs. Omega match. At the time I didn’t enjoy it at all. Nothing like I was expecting, it felt like stupid, CZW-style ultra violence that was below both guys. However, having come to enjoy and see the art in those type of matches in the years that followed, I’d probably think it was amazing now. Still not as good as Swerve vs. Hangman, but a close second. Mox should have drank Omega’s blood.

Edited by Supremo
Why am I so violent?

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The best near fall of all time? It’s the absolute worst.

I definitely didn't buy it at the time. There was a far better nearfall the year before, which I did buy, but at no point from the start of the build til the final 3 did I believe Taker would lose the match. My instinct was that if he wanted to lose his "streak" (ugh) to Hunter, they'd have done so the year before. And I didn't think they'd screw him out of it, he'd lose properly. I enjoyed the match in parts but it felt like no stakes, so I didn't really care who won. Though they billed it as "the end of an era," nothing ended. Taker wrestled again, Hunter wrestled again, even special ref Shawn, two years retired at that point, wrestled again. In the same match, even.

Still, year after was worse for no investment. Might as well advertised that as "Cena will obviously get his win back from Rock, Hunter will obviously get his win back from Brock, and the consolation for Punk not being in the main event will be losing to Taker." I considered not watching it, so obvious were those winners.

I would put Backlund vs Hart from SS 94 in, may be a discredit to Owen because he's fucking sublime in that match. It's a dull as fuck match with an awesome finish. Even before the CFCW section it was 25 minutes long, about 35 in total. Had they made it 15-20 minutes plus a 5 minute CFCW spot it would probably be fantastic. People do treat it as some amazing wrestling clinic but it bored the shit out of me as a kid and I don't find it enjoyable as an adult (where as I can watch plenty of Hart matches repeatedly). 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I would put Backlund vs Hart from SS 94 in, may be a discredit to Owen because he's fucking sublime in that match. It's a dull as fuck match with an awesome finish.

It's also got some really weird booking logic. A visible submission by Backlund to the figure-four, which Bret had won precisely zero matches with prior. You can do the exact same spot with the Sharpshooter with Mr Backlund eventually reaching the ropes instead of reversing, and it makes far more sense. But they wanted to save the Sharpshooter for the beginning of the finish, even though it wouldn't play directly into or be the finish.

Not the last time Bob looks weak in that run, of course. His rematch with Diesel on Action Zone ended with a sidewalk slam for the pin instead of the Jacknife.