UFC Austin: Dariush vs Tsarukyan - Dec 2 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yep. Hell of a show this was. Looked great on paper, delivered in practice. Actually thought it surpassed my expectations. The main card always looked quality and it lived up to that. But the prelims were way better than I imagined going in. So overall, it exceeded my already high expectations.

image.gif.e39bb99984141e0215d2e65c94d8f607.gif

IMG-2999.jpg

Arman Tsarukyan finally got his big breakthrough moment. I was leaning slightly towards Tsarukyan by the time fight week arrived but I still thought it would be competitive. Never thought heā€™d just walk through Dariush in a minute. Even after Dariushā€™s quick loss to Oliveira, I put that more down to Oliveira just being a lethal finisher than anything else. But as soon as the fight started here, just seeing how slow Benny was moving, I had a feeling it wasnā€™t gonna go well for him. Shame really. He got close to a title shot but itā€™s hard to see him ever getting back there again now. Poor get looked absolutely crushed after the fight. Looked about ready to just jack it all in.

Seeing a few calls for Tsarukyan vs Oliveira now but I canā€™t see that happening yet. Most likely theyā€™ll revisit that Makhachev vs Oliveira rematch that we were supposed to get at 294 in October. Although Iā€™ve gotta say, as big an Oliveira fan as I am and as much as Iā€™ve soured on Tsarukyan this week, Tsarukyan calling for the title shot isnā€™t outrageous. And to be honest, Makhachev vs Tsarukyan 2 interests me more right now than Makhachev vs Oliveira 2. I canā€™t see them deviating from the Islam vs Charles 2 plans though. But what else is there for Tsarukyan? Chandlerā€™s still waiting for McGregor. The only other real options are Gaethje or Poirier. Iā€™d love to see either of them but itā€™s that old thing again, will they wanna fight Tsarukyan at this stage in their careers? Hopefully this win will make him a more appealing fight for the bigger names at 155 and we can get all these guys mixing it up.

Despite the short notice, rough weight cut and his comments this week raising doubts, Jalin Turner made short work of Bobby Green. It was fun for as long as it lasted. Unfortunately, the talk is all about the stoppageā€¦

image.gif.e78fa9af642830299d454d828653d72e.gif

IMG-3008.jpg

Referee Kerry Hatley wanted to see the death certificate before stepping in apparently. It was a bad one. Green had already been dropped so it was safe to assume he was already buzzed by the time he hit the deck. Then he was face down and in a position where he couldnā€™t really defend himself. Then Turner was on his back, in mount, raining down heavy shots on him. Yet the ref just watched him go completely unconscious and then let him eat a few more shots. Never mind this loss, shit like that can be a career changer. For someone like Green whoā€™s already in his late 30s and almost 50 fights into his career, heā€™s got a lot of miles on him and this might end up being the nail in the coffin as far as his durability goes. Apparently Hatley was apologetic after, which is more than some referees manage, but itā€™s still not much consolation for Green. Quality win for Turner though. Especially under the circumstances.

Oh and Tsarukyan told the media after the show that he was happy to see Bobby Greenā€™s head bouncing off the canvas. Heā€™d already made a tit of himself with the backstage altercation the other day. But to say that when Green couldā€™ve been badly and possibly permanently injured? Heel turn complete with me. Prick.

Figgy vs Font was good, although didnā€™t quite catch fire like I expected and/or hoped it would. Think that was because it was more one sided than expected. Had Figgy winning every round and, odd moment aside, I thought Font just looked a bit off. Wasnā€™t a spectacular performance from Figgy but solid enough and there was some good stuff in there from him.

image.gif.40c274ae0502635f3aed7631aeca83ff.gif

IMG-3007.jpg

Love when he attacks the body especially. Wish heā€™d do it more, to be honest. Felt like Font couldā€™ve done better as the fight went on. Figgy had a strong first round but kind of took his foot off the gas in the second and third but Font didnā€™t capitalise at all. Felt like the better work was from Figgy on the feet, he had Font rocked a couple of times and he got a bunch of takedowns as well so it was an easy one to score in the end. Need to see Figgy vs Petr Yan now. I keep mentioning it and after this win last night Iā€™m seeing a lot of people calling for it. Hopefully thatā€™s the next move.

Sean Brady vs Kelvin Gastelum was complete one way traffic. Awful return to Welterweight for Gastelum. This was supposed to be his fresh start back down at 170 and he just got wrestled into oblivion until Brady put him out of his misery with the third round Kimura. Nice return to winning ways for Brady. Heā€™s been sitting on that Belal Muhammad loss for over a year now so you know it felt good to get that first win back out the way. Gastelum looked lost though. He had nothing for Brady. Liked Bradyā€™s callout of Ian Garry but I canā€™t see that one happening. If Garry beats Luque at 296 theyā€™re gonna be looking at contender fights for him and Brady is a banana skin they wonā€™t wanna throw at him. Nor should they really. I reckon Brady might end up facing Gilbert Burns next. As for Gastelum, not a fucking clue where he goes from here. Maybe heā€™ll eat himself up to 205, I donā€™t know.

Joaquim Silva vs Clay Guida was entertaining but, man, Iā€™m just over seeing Clay get beat up. He was game as ever here and clearly still tough as shit but at 41 years old and after 60+ fights, where does it end? He was on about it earlier in the week and said heā€™s not gonna fight into his 50s but heā€™ll keep going as long as heā€™s ā€œable bodiedā€. So yeah. Heā€™s gonna fight into his fucking 50s, isnā€™t he?

Dustin Stoltzfus had a good showing, submitting Puna Soriano in the main card opener. Was rooting for Soriano so I was disappointed to see him drop another loss. But the commentators touched on it and I thought they were right, Soriano was just too one-note and predictable. Aside from a few kicks, it was almost solely single left hands he was throwing. No set up, no jab, sod all. The fact he was still landing it and hurting Stoltzfus made it all the more frustrating because you have to think it wouldā€™ve been more effective had he mixed it up a bit and made it harder to see coming. Decent performance from Stoltzfus. Doesnā€™t look good for Soriano though. Thatā€™s 2 losses on the bounce now, he got stopped in both and heā€™s 1-4 in his last 5.

Nice to see Miesha Tate back in the win column. Best sheā€™s looked in a long time. Although a lot of that is probably because Julia Avila is the weakest opponent sheā€™s had in a long time. Sounds harsh and I like Avila, but I donā€™t think the matchmakers put this together with her future in mind. This was a rebuilding fight for Tate. And Tate absolutely dominated. Before ā€˜Cupcakeā€™, she was known as Miesha ā€˜Takedownā€™ Tate and she went back to those roots here.

image.gif.9a88f63d7780b10ad08d94c057ac45fb.gif

She didnā€™t need the finish by that point. Sheā€™d won the first round 10-8 and the second mightā€™ve been 10-8 as well. But I felt like the finish was kind of necessary here. If youā€™re clearly that much better than your opponent and youā€™re that dominant over them, you should be able to close the show. And she did that in the third. Donā€™t know where she goes from here. I definitely think Bantamweight is a better fit for her than that attempt at Flyweight was. But I donā€™t know. The 135 division is arse, weaker than itā€™s ever been. So who knows? But even then, even in a post-Nunes division, Iā€™m not convinced sheā€™s got another title win in her. I think this performance was more to do with the opponent, the fact Avila had no answers for the wrestling and was coming off a 2 and a half year layoff.

Already seeing people suggesting Rousey vs Tate 3 for UFC 300 šŸ˜‚ not gonna happen though, is it? Even with the WWE merger, I think Rondaā€™s completely closed that chapter of her life now. Sheā€™s a mum now, she doesnā€™t need the dough and itā€™ll only harm her legacy if she comes back with her heart not fully in it and starts losing to some of these current no hopers at 135. And if you thought she handled the losses to Holm and Nunes badly, can you fucking imagine what a potential loss to her old mate Tate would do to her? Best left alone, that one.

What the fuck was with the slams? Itā€™s mad when you think how rare a slam KO is. To get 2 in back-to-back fights is crazy. Whatā€™s the chances?

Drakkar Kloseā€¦

image.gif.fa70f0cffe01ab8bedc6950f56ed319b.gif

Just slam dunked poor Joe Soleckiā€™s head off the canvas. Then in the very next fightā€¦

image.gif.d0e8046959e315e8d97be1448599fcfe.gif

Cody Brundage does the same out of a triangle attempt to Zach Reese.

Somewhere, Rampage Jackson was watching on with a big grin and an even bigger chippy tea. Seriously, mental finishes. Mistakes on both Solecki and Reeseā€™s side not letting go of the sub attempts. They paid the price big time. And Brundage? Last thing I expected out of him was a powerbomb KO!

Rodolfo Bellato vs Ihor Potieria was an unexpected corker. Jesus Christ. I didnā€™t expect a dud, I didnā€™t really know what to expect because Iā€™d never seen Bellato. Iā€™m a fan already though. First off, heā€™s a Team Nogueira guy. Then they were saying during the walkouts that Bellato didnā€™t appreciate Potieriaā€™s little dance after he bashed up the shell of Shogun and wanted to avenge that loss. Thatā€™s enough for me. Iā€™m sold. Iā€™m on the Bellato bandwagon. Then in the fight itself he more than made a fan out of me! What a slobberknocker. And that second round is right up there for Round Of The Year.

From thisā€¦

image.gif.c29eaa2208b1dfbf93b1d5980e918366.gif

To thisā€¦

image.gif.c2447bd5677ecaf6b8f2570b16d1cb27.gif

In the same bastard round! šŸ˜§ One of the wildest come from behind wins in recent memory easy. Ref couldā€™ve stopped the fight when Bellato was getting hammerfisted into crumbs on the ground and I donā€™t think anyone wouldā€™ve complained. The comeback was nuts though. Definite shades of his mentor Big Nog! Nice to see they got the FOTN bonus for this. Well deserved. Iā€™m gonna stop knocking Potieria now as well. I soured on him with the Shogun fight but thatā€™s cancelled out now with Bellato getting one back for Brazil. And in fairness, Potieriaā€™s been nothing but entertaining to watch win or lose so far.

Even Jared Gooden vs Wellington Turman was surprisingly enjoyable. Really didnā€™t have high expectations for this and probably wouldā€™ve just skipped it had the prelims not started early. It was a good scrap though, to be fair. Easily the most Iā€™ve enjoyed watching either man.

image.gif.0049f54b063624e692185e0a816bbccf.gif

It was looking like Turman was well on his way to victory but Gooden got to him in the second and that was that. Mrs Wand walked in during this fight and commented that Turman had an abnormally sized noggin and how that was unfair because itā€™s an easy target to hit šŸ¤£ not untrue but Iā€™m not sure what can be done about that.

Was really pleased to see Veronica Hardy pick up another win. Really didnā€™t have a good feeling when she returned earlier this year off that massive layoff but thatā€™s 2 wins now since the comeback. Horth was undefeated coming in as well. Donā€™t get how the one judge scored the fight for Horth. Thought this was a clear 29-28 in favour of Hardy. Had her winning the first 2 rounds quite comfortably. Sheā€™ll not go much further unfortunately. The lack of wrestling is gonna be an issue and Horth exploited that in the third, albeit too late. Some fun fights to be had with her against strikers though.Ā 

Yeah, banging night of fights that. Just gotta get through that Apex card next week and itā€™s onto 296!Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The show definitely delivered on the night. If they would do 1 Fight Night a month on the road, plus the PPV, that would do me lovely. I've given up on the Apex shoes entirely unless there's something on one of them clearly screaming that it needs to be seen.Ā 

Tsarukyan flattened Dariush with that Not a Knee shot. It was so well disguised behind that knee that Beneil must not have had a baldy what hit him.Ā 

I'd be trying to get Poirier to take the Tsarukyan fight now. Gaethje, having just beat Dustin is higher up the food chain and would already be booked to fight Islam, had the Chuck Olives fight went ahead as planned.Ā 

The stoppage in the Green/Turner fight was one of the worst I have seen in years and years. Probably the worse stoppage in this period where everyone is supposed to know better. You could have stopped the fight as Green hit the ground, I think he may have already been out and then got that wake up of hitting the mat. An absolute disaster by Kerry Hatley. Green may end up having to pay the bill for his mistake too.Ā 

I got the Figgy Smalls and Rob Font fight so badly wrong. Figueiredo had little to no trouble with Font at all. A great sign for his move to 135. Well up for Wand's wet dream of Figgy Vs Yan next.Ā 

Oddly, I thought Guida won his fight. I'd have to watch it again. I'm not going to, obviously. Guida didn't seem to up in arms about it though so I'm probably wrong on that scoring.Ā 

Poor Kelvin Gastelum's soul died in the fifth round of his fight with Izzy, all them years ago. What we see today is just his previously inhabited body, floating about planet earth. A good comeback win for Brady, a step back on the ladder to get back into the swing of things.Ā 

Ā