UFC São Paulo: Almeida vs Lewis - Nov 4 🇧🇷

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw it, but thought it was crap. I dont think the Almeida fight was a good statement, as Ive never seen someone do so little with so much full mount time. I assume it was 15+ minutes of full mount, and he did nothing with it. Not a good look.

The Bonfim fight was the only thing worth watching on the whole show for me.

If someone smarter than me can get a shot of Breners opponent laying face down, looking dead, and then after seeing that seeing the actual KO, its probably the least impressive punch to get such an amazing face plant KO. Odd!

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Dai said:

I saw it, but thought it was crap. I dont think the Almeida fight was a good statement, as Ive never seen someone do so little with so much full mount time. I assume it was 15+ minutes of full mount, and he did nothing with it. Not a good look.

Ah, fair enough. I thought that on paper it gave a good impression that his stamina/cardio held up, but that doesn't sound good at all.

• Paid Members

It was a terrible fight. Absolutely not the statement win that you would think it was. He took Lewis down with ease, and poor Derrick had nothing for him. But Almeida really didn't ever have Lewis in a lot of trouble, nor did he do any damage at all. The takedowns weren't hard enough earned that it showed a good test of his cardio either. Not sure we learned anything about either man that we didn't already know. 

Glad to see Nicolas Dalby get the win. I like him. Usually in action fights and this one was no different. He had to weather a storm in the first round but he out toughed Bonfim and then took him to the woodshed in the second round. 

• Paid Members

image.gif.1555c00c53f80b3d3cc113cda3612dcd.gif

🤣 What the fuck was that? 

It seems like the future of the Heavyweight division is even bleaker than we thought. My hope was that, as shite as the vast majority of the division is, at least we had Aspinall, Pavlovich and Almeida who all look promising for the future. This wasn’t good from Jailton though. Baffling performance. I mean, he won clearly. And he did get 5 rounds in. But there was just zero urgency there and he looked nothing like the same guy from his previous fights. He had so much mount time here and did sod all with it. And he can ground and pound. We’ve fucking seen it! And Lewis was there for the taking, he wasn’t offering any real resistance or showing anything resembling a threat. I don’t get it. Did Jailton just wanna prove he could go 5 rounds? Was he carrying an injury or something? I don’t know. Did he fucking bet on himself to win on points? Because there had to be some reason why he seemed to just completely forget how to strike from mount. There’s gonna be better performances to come from Jailton. I’m seeing tons of negativity and piss taking towards him for this showing, and I can’t even defend him. But it was one night. Maybe there’s a reason this was so shit and he’ll redeem himself down the like. Good fighters have shite fights sometimes. I’m not gonna totally write him off on the back of one crap fight. But it’s definitely killed any bit of buzz he had going in. Not a good look when you can’t finish Derrick Lewis in 25 minutes, even with all that mount time, yet Sergey Spivac pissed through him in 3 minutes.

It’s funny though, all the criticism I’ve seen has been aimed at Almeida. But let’s be honest, Derrick Lewis was even worse. He was dogshit here. It was a shitty fight but at least Almeida won that shitty fight. Lewis lost every round and looked absolutely awful. He re-signed with the UFC for this shit. Should’ve chased that Ngannou rematch in PFL. Although there’s a chance Ngannou never fights in MMA again now coming off how well he did in that Fury fight. So maybe Lewis was right to stay put. Still, to start off his new contract with this? Jesus wept.

Nicolas Dalby vs Gabriel Bonfim was definitely the best fight on the card. I’ve been lukewarm on Dalby’s UFC run, nothing had particularly stood out about any of his fights in this stint for me. This was by far his best fight and performance in the UFC yet though.

image.gif.6a4dff76104a2058fe8bcf24112b925f.gif

It was always gonna be a tough test for Bonfim but that’s basically all I saw it as. A test that Bonfim would probably pass. The interest for me was how good he’d look. He looked tremendous in the first round. Really put it on Dalby. But Dalby just wouldn’t go away and was constantly coming forward and putting the pressure on and his toughness paid off. He held up better as he got deeper into the fight and once he was able to turn it into an ugly dogfight he took over and Bonfim wilted. Great stuff from Dalby. To come back from that first round and batter an undefeated prospect, who’s 12 years his junior, like this was really impressive. Nice FOTN bonus for him as well.

The Bonfim brothers have really fell off a cliff so suddenly, haven’t they? They only debuted in January and both looked great that night. Since then Ismael’s been stopped and got his fight on this card scrapped by missing weight. Now Gabriel’s been dragged into deep water and drowned by Dalby. They can both bounce back and I’ve got no doubt there'll still be good nights ahead for them. But it just goes to show how fast things can change in MMA.

Rodrigo Nascimento vs Don’Tale Mayes 2? Yeah skipped it. And I regret nothing.

Caio Borralho is frustrating to me. Seems to have all the physical tools but his performances always feel underwhelming. He won pretty clearly here but it felt like a lot of that was down to Magomedov fading, going into his shell and looking like he wanted out the longer it went on.

Elves Brener is quickly becoming a Fight Night favourite of mine. After a lacklustre Octagon debut, he’s fully won me around with that mad bloodbath against Kutateladze and now this. Made short work of Kruschewsky.

4 hours ago, Dai said:

If someone smarter than me can get a shot of Breners opponent laying face down, looking dead, and then after seeing that seeing the actual KO, its probably the least impressive punch to get such an amazing face plant KO. Odd!

Here you go…

The result;

IMG-2224.jpg

The punch that caused it; 

image.gif.5c2708b5ba925795a83f439fdb93f71f.gif

Was definitely a weird looking shot that ended it, in that it didn’t look like Brener put that much power on it. But it was where it landed more than the force behind it. Those punches that connect around the temple/ear area do funny things. Kruschewsky full on Flair Flopped. Loving Brener. Looking forward to seeing who they match him up with next. Plenty of options at 155.

Rinat Fakhretdinov vs Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos looked like it was a good fight but I didn’t score it properly as I had it on in the background while doing other stuff. When it was over I was expecting Fakhretdinov to get the decision and was a bit surprised it was declared a draw. But Dos Santos did have a big third round so I guess that was scored a 10-8. I’d have to rewatch it and I can’t be arsed. Sucks for Rinat coming off that quick win over Kevin Lee. Any momentum he’d built from that has stalled now. Dos Santos is an underrated tough bastard though. Had a feeling it wouldn’t be an easy fight for Fakhretdinov.

Vitor Petrino stays perfect. Now 10-0 with 8 finishes. This was his best finish yet in the UFC as well.

image.gif.f95bcd3d565753d8fb95d685486bddca.gif

Christ! He looked a beast before that as well. He’ll probably come unstuck before too long but I like him. And let’s face it, 205 needs all the new blood it can get. Petrino’s a welcome addition to the division. Still don’t get why they never put him on the main card here. He looks like someone you’d think they’d wanna push a bit and promote, his undefeated record backs it up, he’s yet to have a boring fight in the UFC, he’s a finisher and the show was in Brazil! Once that Vieira vs Petrosyan fight got binned it should’ve been a no brainer to give Petrino’s fight the bump, in my opinion.

Angela Hill is such a weird one. She’s never gonna be champion but every time I think she’s finished, she wins a fight I expected her to lose and buys herself a bit more time. I had a strong feeling this was pretty much gonna be the final nail in the coffin for her and, seeing how she got outstruck by Mackenzie Dern last time out, I was expecting Gomes to put a bit of a beating on her here. But this was the best she’s looked in a while. Expected a bit of a mugging from Gomes but it was much more competitive and enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Eduarda Moura fucking mauled Montserrat Conejo. Would’ve been the perfect UFC debut if she hadn’t gone and missed weight so badly. Felt bad for Conejo. She was already outsized, it didn’t help that Moura came in heavy. Moura looked good but it’s hard to take much from this because Conejo isn’t very good. Apparently Conejo has been signed to a new deal though, despite going 0-3 in her last 3 now. She stepped in for this fight on short notice and still fought despite Moura’s weight miss so that’ll be why she’s got another chance. Flyweight is surely in Moura’s not too distant future. She looked huge here and, with the weight miss, surely her Strawweight days are coming to an end.

Marc Diakiese bored me shitless again. It’s at the point where I’m starting to wonder if he was ever exciting to watch now. I could swear he was decent to watch earlier in his career but he’s been mostly rotten since he learned how to do takedowns. Should’ve seen this coming really. He was coming off 2 losses and the last time he was coming off 2 losses was when he first went full on lay and pray mode against Slava Claus. Can’t knock him too much. He probably had to win to stay on the roster. He badly needed a win and he got it. But fuck me. Unless he’s in against someone I really like next time, I think I’ll probably just skip him. His last few wins have all looked exactly the same. The only thing that’s been different has been the colour of his mohawk.

Yeah not an amazing show. I liked a few of the fights but that main event just dragged the whole thing down.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Regarding Almeida, I'm sure I read the last time someone was threatened with being stood up despite having full mount was the Kimbo/Dada fight. 

Says it all really. He shit the bed. Edit  Maybe that's a bit harsh, but it wasn't a great look. 

Edited by Silky Kisser