Facebook Ads

5pints 2.0

Has anyone been tempted by the ads on Facebook? Have you ordered anything, and have you actually received it?

Last week there was a series of ads selling handheld devices at about £30 depending on what memory card option you selected. Incredibly tempting considering they are £100 plus on other websites. Does anyone actually fall for them? 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, 5pints 2.0 said:

Does anyone actually fall for them? 

Yes. And almost you by the sounds of it 😉

In all seriousness, as kev says, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. It costs a few quid to run ads on platforms like Facebook, so it’s easy to set up a Shopify store, run a Facebook ad campaign promoting something at too-good-to-be-true prices, take a load of money for orders, and then for the store to be shut down overnight. And Shopify won’t do fuck all either; they’ll just point you to the vendor, who isn’t going to bother replying from the @gmail.com address associated with the store. 

It's worth doing a search on product/company name + reddit on google (the best way of getting real human information on the internet these days).

I had seen some adverts for some "book nook" things (basically little diorama model kits that are in the shape of a book) that'd make a nice birthday present for a friend. Turns out the ones being advertised on facebook were just someone reselling another companies product at twice the price.

• Paid Members

I get what you probably mean but often they're reputable companies. Disney Store get a lot of my money from FB ads and I bought something from Zavvi recently. I bought a TMNT T-Shirt (the character select screen from the old arcade game) from a shop called Qwrtees or something that came from a FB ad and that came and was OK. Generally, if I've never heard of them, I'll look them up on Trust Pilot. Unless it's bloody Temu or Wish or something. They can all bugger off.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I get what you probably mean but often they're reputable companies. Disney Store get a lot of my money from FB ads and I bought something from Zavvi recently. I bought a TMNT T-Shirt (the character select screen from the old arcade game) from a shop called Qwrtees or something that came from a FB ad and that came and was OK. Generally, if I've never heard of them, I'll look them up on Trust Pilot. Unless it's bloody Temu or Wish or something. They can all bugger off.

RICK!