FLips's Sopranos watching thread

FLips

• Paid Members

Vito has abandoned Johnny Cakes, murdered a man he crashed into and is heading towards his imminent death and all for what?
His kid just did the shittest ice skating trick I've ever seen and is episodes away from dropping a shit in the showers. I'd have just stayed where I was.

• Paid Members

Just finished Soprano Home Movies and it's still such a great episode on the second time around. Tony hijacking every unrelated conversation after the fight to make excuses as to why he lost still cracks me up. Has about five excuses in pocket and ready go and everyone is just like yeah sure ok Tony. He's only fooling himself.

• Members
2 hours ago, FLips said:

Just finished Soprano Home Movies and it's still such a great episode on the second time around. Tony hijacking every unrelated conversation after the fight to make excuses as to why he lost still cracks me up. Has about five excuses in pocket and ready go and everyone is just like yeah sure ok Tony. He's only fooling himself.

I am watching it now, what are the chances that our watchalongs have coincided like thissshhhh. 

It's sad to say this, but you can really notice Gandolfinis weight gain in this series. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I am watching it now, what are the chances that our watchalongs have coincided like thissshhhh. 

It's sad to say this, but you can really notice Gandolfinis weight gain in this series. 

He eats beef and sausage by the car load.

I think I'm a few ahead of you, Vito Jr just shat on the shower floor and stepped in it. I forgot they pipe in a little fart noise before it, it's absolutely insane.

• Paid Members

Nearing the end of The Blue Comet. It always cracks me up when Tony says something completely normal to him and is met with confusion or apathy. In this one he tells AJ "Bobby is dead, he got shot" and AJ just goes "what do you mean he got shot".

Chrissy's death this time around didn't shock me as much (obviously) but if anything I found myself agreeing with Tony's decision more this time around. On first viewing it felt ham fisted and just a tying up of a loose end but Chris really is a colossal fuck up and he's just thrown Little Paulie out of a window and shot JT Dolan in the head.

Chris, you're in the mafia

• Paid Members
On 7/13/2024 at 11:32 AM, FLips said:

It's the Artie Bucco Redemption episode!

He's just knocked the stuffing out of Benny Fazio Criminal Mastermind.

It’s a thing of beauty! “PIECE OF GREASY, MOTHERFUCKIN’ MEATBALL DOGSHIT” as he’s smashing his face in for the KO victory.

His little punching the invisible man celebration just after it is the cherry on the cake…

IMB_amlZuX.gif.5199bdbc9509c71c5c1668534ceb05f8.gif

Lovely stuff.

On 7/13/2024 at 11:32 AM, FLips said:

I'm willing to forgive the appalling Ben Kingsley storyline for the best payoff. His exasperated "Fuuuuck" when he notices Chris on the plane

chris.jpg.d835bd14e1777873f05db4c57d25c372.jpg

“Sooooo…Murmur’s an interesting name. What’s the genesis?” 

Definitely one of the weaker storylines but that’s the thing with the Sopranos, even the weaker episodes have their moments that kind of makes it all seem worth it. Chrissy dropping “Law & Order: The SUV” in there cracks me up as well. And of course, Brainless The Second makes a welcome appearance…

IMG_4330.gif

• Members

What strikes me is just how nasty everyone gets in series 6. Not talking about "murdery nasty" but they get really personal. Tony to Bobby. Tony to Paulie. Paulie to Chrissy. Tony to Chrissy.

They're all a bunch of absolute nobs to each other.

Also Phil Leotardos crew are all piss weak, and should've been mopped up ages ago.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I don't know what show I was watching the first time round but there's so many small bits of dialogue completely went over my head.

Janice saying "I put ma and all her warped shit behind me...not that I get any thanks for it" is such a brilliant line.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Sorry for filling this thread with double posts left and right, but I just finished my second run through.

It was arguably better on a second watch through. I picked up more subtle jokes and things now I was familiar with the characters from the off. My thoughts on the good and bad I don't think have changed too much though.

Still a big fan of Paulie, Patsy, Bobby, Junior and Artie, as well as Big Pussy when he's in it. There's not a weak bad guy in it, with Phil, Richie and Ralphy all putting in major shifts. This time though, as I was told by you all, I loved Livia. An absolute misery guts that leaves a stain on the whole thing long after she's gone. I went the opposite way with Carmella this time though who I was sympathetic for the first run but this time I found myself agreeing with Tony the several times he told her to mind her own business and fuck off. She's loving the mafia life until she's not and while her stand in Whitecaps is still an all-time great moment for her, she very quickly goes crawling back and slots right back in.
Similarly with Adrianna. She maybe doesn't deserve to die how she does but it was harder to sympathise with her this time round as well.

The worst bits are still the Chris Goes To Hollywood stuff apart from him doing Ben Kingsley's head in, and Chris doing heroin through Season 4. I'd say as well that despite having some incredibly great individual episodes, the constant quality drops after Season 3. There's large parts of Seasons 4-6, especially 6 where it feels like it's treading water and it takes a big moment or big episode to pull them out of the slump. I could watch Seasons 1-3 on a loop and not get bored though.

I forgot how quickly things happen in succession in this as well. Richie, Livia and Big Pussy all dying one after the other, and how the major parts of the war with Phil happens over only 2 or 3 episodes.

It's just such a brilliant show. The drama hits the right notes but it's just so constantly funny you could easily mistake it for a comedy at times. Such an easy watch, I might go straight into my third run.

Edited by FLips

• Members

Nothing funny about this scene, topic etc but this image as I paused it to make my lunch made me laugh.

20240715_135552.thumb.jpg.9e1990bc1396781dd2e53eebe30a6bbe.jpg

"I look over, your Uncle Joons got laser beams coming out of his eyes" ???

Will say it again, the Leotardo crew is pathetic, especially Butchie.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nothing funny about this scene, topic etc but this image as I paused it to make my lunch made me laugh.

20240715_135552.thumb.jpg.9e1990bc1396781dd2e53eebe30a6bbe.jpg

"I look over, your Uncle Joons got laser beams coming out of his eyes" ???

Will say it again, the Leotardo crew is pathetic, especially Butchie.

He could just be a fucking idiot. Historically that’s been the case.

I felt more for AJ this time round. He’s still a moany bugger but I dunno, going from him not knowing how to play Nintendo 64 with his Dad to being flushed out the pool like a loose turd because he tied the rope too long. Tragic really. 

I felt like Meadow had a bleaker ending than I recall too. Very much continuing the cycle by marrying into the mob and getting a career defending them. While obviously it’s a success from a career standpoint, morally and in the context of her family it’s another miserable outcome.

• Members

Just watched Bobby die ? Brilliant scene though, cutting to the figures around the model railway.

Also completely forgot that Bill Guarnere from Band Of Brothers pops up as a new member of Tony's crew.

Thought some of you might enjoy this: https://www.cracked.com/article_42731_50-moments-that-prove-the-sopranos-is-a-comedy.html

Heh heh indeed.