Bellator 283 - Lima vs. Jackson (22nd July)

Egg Shen

Who Wins?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I doubt anyone's gonna watch this as it falls on UFC London weekend and that's where all the focus is going to be, but this is a night before and looks a solid main card in it's own right, plus I like to remind you all it's on, so here's the skinny:

Bellator283.jpg.bd18c6632eb5271bda18d653e5ab7906.jpg

Main Card:

Douglas Lima vs. Julian Jackson

Sidnet Outlaw vs. Tofiq Musayev

Usman Nurmagamedov vs. Chris Gonzalez

Lorenz Larkin vs. Mukhamed Berkhamov

Davion Franklin vs. Marelo Golm

Prelims:

Roman Faraldo vs. Luis Iniguez

Justin Montalvo vs. Archie Colgan

Kai Kamaka III vs. Akmed Magomedov

Ethan Hughes vs. Kevin Hand

Romero Cotton vs. Dalton Rosta

Veta Arteaga vs. Vanessa Porto

Gadzhi Rabadanov vs. Bobby King

Jaylon Bates vs. Mark Coates

That's the gist. I'll do a little bit of digging into that undercard and try and unearth a few gems because there always is on a Bellator undercard and i'll add a few more thoughts in during the week, but that's the card.

• Paid Members

yeah, it'll likely be a main card only deal for me too considering the amount of stuff on this weekend but it's decent. 

This card was originally meant to have a Pitbull/Outlaw Title fight on top, but Pitbull got injured. Sidney Outlaw has been done a bit of a dud though. He had a Title fight signed and announced. Now they've stuck him in the co-main event against a debuting 19-4 Russian hammer called Toqif Musayev. If i was Outlaw, I probably would have sat out and waiting for the title shot. Musayev is coming in from Rizin, and actual beat Pitbull on that crossover show Bellator did with them a couple of New Years Eve's ago.

As for Douglas Lima. His stock has fallen so much in the couple of years, i'm just hoping to see he has some kind of fire left in him. 3 uninspired losses on the bounce. Lima's style always lent itself to rapid decline because he's a pretty reserved and patient fighter, but it just feels like the fire has gone out. I'll take Jackson for the win here. He doesn't finish fights but is just dominating folk. Jackson by decision, all day.

Usman Nurmagamedov back too, always have to tune in for that. Better opponent this time around as well.

• Paid Members

Any top fighter gone off a cliff in MMA like Douglas Lima? the comparison best to describe it is Tyron Woodley. Just a lifeless 5 round performance where he accepted bottom position and did nothing. Lima slowly stepping back towards the cage at the start of every round was incredibly frustrating to watch. The guy looks like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world. So disappointing.

Usman Nurmagamedov looks every bit as good as everyone says though, guy makes it look easy.

oh, and Davion Franklin throwing Death Valley Driver's around the muthafucker...

Franklin also went for a powerbomb, too! Other than that, it was an awful performance from him. The hype train derailed on this performance, and he needs to work on his gas tank.

Agree about Lima though. As someone who was a favourate of mine for years, its sad to see him these days. To be fair to him, he had an exact performance like this against Koreshkov seven years ago, when he was still in his 20's, so it shouldnt all just be blamed on him being past it, must just be his mental state some times. Dont think he landed one significant punch in 5 rounds, which sums it up really.

• Paid Members

Franklin has potential, he just needs to manage his energy better, crazy bastard.

You are right about Lima though. He's never been an output machine, and there were times when he would be behind but simply pull something out of the bag. His timing seems shot now as well though, so combine that with age, wear and tear etc. and you have a fighter at the end of the road. 

• Paid Members

I love Lima but he just looks so done these days. Like he just can’t be fucked with any of it anymore. It’s weird. Like Dai said, he’s had a tendency to do the bare minimum at times in the past but it’s getting to be his regular style now. Reminds me a bit of how Thiago Santos has became a boring, low output fighter. Although at least with Santos you can chalk it up to him not being the same since the double knee surgery. Lima’s just dropped off a cliff his last few fights. I’d love to see him turn things around and go on another run, he seems like one of MMA’s true genuine good guys, but a slump like this in his mid 30s isn’t something a lot of fighters come back from. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I think there was a strong case for standing it up in every single round, as there was hardly any output offensively too.

The most depressing thing about the fight for me wasnt even the ground stuff. It was when they were on the feet, and Lima seemed like a complete non threat. He was backed up to the fence constantly, and didnt really look dangerous at all. Also, for years, if you said "leg kicks" to me, Id say Aldo and Lima. Ive seen him destory plenty with those leg kicks, but in this fight, it seemed like at least 10 really good calf kicks didnt even phase his opponent, which was also depressing. Sad all round!

• Paid Members

i think referee refused to stand them up because Lima was making no effort to get back up. Still, Jackson was no exactly doing any damage either so I was calling for a standup. The referee wasn't going to do Lima any favours.