TUF 30 - Pena vs. Nunes

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Call me completely out of the loop, but episode 1 of the new TUF season has gone onto Fight Pass today. I literally had no idea it was coming out so soon, i haven't seen one piece of promotion. 

20220503_110530.thumb.jpg.d1cd2fa7aeacffb1e9f047a5355c110a.jpg

Well, regarldess, its airing and considering I really enjoyed the Volkanovski/Ortega season im gonna give it a go, should lead nicely into the Pena/Nunes rematch too...

Women's Flyweight and Men's Heavyweight are the weight categories.

• Paid Members

Episode 1 was standard, not a lot to report. Nice touch having Forrest Griffin being the host though.

The actual fight wasn't great, decent opener and they were spent by the finish, Zac Pauga has a bit about him but is abit undersized. 

I cant fathom why they brought in Bobby Maximus for this season though. I need to know why he's there.

Yeah Zac Pauga is definitely dropping down to LHW if he gets signed by the UFC afterwards. I think he's fought most of his fights at 205,

I enjoyed the fight, the first round was a good scrap and the whole fight was a lot better than some non ranked heavyweight fights I've seen this year.

Yea Bobby Maximus being in it is weird, I guess they didn't want a load of newbies on the show, they maybe want to pain the picture that TUF is for Vets as well. They must be praying he doesn't win though. There is not much future in a 42 year old winner.

• Paid Members

I just cant figure out why he's there? he was very much a background member of TUF 2, and last won a fight 14 years ago! his last pro fight was in 2007.

He must have some kind of inspirational comeback story to tell.

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I just cant figure out why he's there? he was very much a background member of TUF 2, and last won a fight 14 years ago! his last pro fight was in 2007.

He must have some kind of inspirational comeback story to tell.

Oh right, I had no idea about his last fight being in 2007! I assumed he was pretty accurate. That is truly bizarre. I'm sure the episode that he fights on will go into a bit more detail.

• Paid Members

Thought they got the result wrong in the first Straweight fight, felt Peralta did enough to win round 3. 

Next weeks looked like it'll be decent. This whole Mohammad Usman thing is gonna be interesting.

...and ill say it again, i say it every season. I think the show needs to be longer, I they should have a 40 minute reality show then tag the fight on the end no matter how long it lasts. When a fight goes 3 rounds, it leaves very little time for the actual TV show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

anyone watching?😄 it's my Tuesday evening routine now to watch with my grub after work, and like last season it's an easy watch.

Amanda Nunes is barely in the show though, it seems to focussed way more on Pena's team/involvement up until now. Last two episode have been decent, the Mohammad Usman story was pretty heavy, i didn't know about his situation, really sad. 

The standard on the show seems poor though, it makes you wonder what fighters actually want to go through the TUF route these days to make it to the UFC. There's a couple of tried and tested ways of getting to the UFC these days, TUF probably seems the least appealing to go through. There's only been one heavyweight fight which was ok, but looking at the other fighters in the house, i'm not expecting much.

Bobby Maximus fights next week, might learn more about why and how he's there!

I'm still watching. Like you said it's an easy watch but the quality does seem very low. Even compared to DWCS, they seem a bit off the UFC calibre. It's not like the original seasons (1-10) where you could spot potential quite easily.

Usman's story was very heavy and very moving, he is a hell of a lot more likeable than his brother. It was nice to see him get a win over that guy who was talking shit for no apparent reason.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

@Egg Shen and @Zebra Kid Mark are you, or anyone else, still watching this? Any good?

I’m gonna whack a thread up for the Thiago Santos vs Jamahal Hill card on Aug 6th later, which is also serving as the TUF finale for this. Just a little heads up because it’s gonna contain spoilers as the finalists are actually on the poster. 

I watched it all. I wouldn't say there were any real standouts. Chandler Cole's spinning kick on Jordan Heiderman was impressive, even though he lost the fight. Juliana Miller vs Claire Guthrie was probably the most exciting fight. Kaytlin Neil was rather lovely. That's all I've got. 

7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

@Egg Shen and @Zebra Kid Mark are you, or anyone else, still watching this? Any good?

I’m gonna whack a thread up for the Thiago Santos vs Jamahal Hill card on Aug 6th later, which is also serving as the TUF finale for this. Just a little heads up because it’s gonna contain spoilers as the finalists are actually on the poster. 

I got to admit I tapped out after episode 8. It just wasn't holding my interest, none of the fights were that good so it was a struggle to get motivated for the next week.

I will tune into the final though. I have to admit that it's a bit shit that the champion of the last series (Bryan Battle) who hasn't lost in the UFC since winning is fighting on the prelims, what kind of message does that send about the prestige of winning the show?

I like Usman's brother though, he seems like a good guy and this is coming from someone who is not an Usman fan at all.

• Paid Members

Overall, the season was a bust. As I said previously, as a 40 minute show to watch with some grub on a Tuesday evening it's perfectly fine, but there was zero in the show to get people hooked and make people want to come back for me. The cast were fairly dull, the fights were ok at best and the actual house/reality TV drama portion basically non-existent. The UFC really have stripped it all away and made it all about the fights, which in my opinion kills what made TUF great to watch in the first place. The actual best bit of the show was probably the last 30 seconds when Nunes finally got in Pena's face and showed some real emotion, literally the last 30 seconds. 

The one positive is, it will make me follow the fighters that have come out on top and are in the Finale, same as it did last seasons, and ultimately I guess that is the intention of the show, so maybe it did does achieve what it sets out too? Only the finalists are on the Finale too, that's never a good sign.