TUF 30 - Pena vs. Nunes

Egg Shen

first time in years since ive watched a full season of TUF. Was nothing flash, orite for a bit of light entertainment i suppose. I thought the male talent was scrapping the barrel in terms of quality the women fights were much better. I hope juliana miller goes onto win, she is a proper little scrapper who loves a tear up with great jiu jitsu i thought & loves the trash talk, she will be in some fun fights in the UFC for sure. Nunes has to be one of the worst coaches in the shows history as well 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DarloKid said:

first time in years since ive watched a full season of TUF. Was nothing flash, orite for a bit of light entertainment i suppose. 

that about sums it up.

Agreed on the talent too, it does make you wonder what kind of fighter would go through TUF these days. Challengers is a must more appealing and easier process to go through.

• Paid Members

Yeah like DarloKid said, those fighters aren’t gonna go through the ballache of TUF when they can just win one fight on DWCS and get in that way. I guess it depends on the fighter and what they’re after. Some might prefer TUF as it’s potential for a lot more exposure over a longer period. But there’s probably so few people who still watch TUF now it’s not anywhere near as beneficial as it was in the heyday when it was both the only route of its kind into the UFC, and was pulling a bigger rating. Now you’re best off just going on DWCS and, with one big finish or strong performance, you’re on a UFC Fight Night or even the prelims of a PPV.

We say it a lot but TUF really is such a dated format. Obviously in the mid to late 2000s ‘reality TV’ was the big thing and all the rage. Not so much now. DWCS lends itself much more to today’s social media audience where a big KO or something on DWCS can ‘go viral’ or whatever. I’ve barely watched any of DWCS but there’s been a few occasions now where I’ve seen some mad finish or a glimpse of someone’s interview on Twitter or something and it’s instantly got me interested. Can’t say I’ve seen a 10 seconds of TUF shared anywhere though and that says it all about how dead it is these days. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, coming through DWCS holds weight these days too. I rarely, if ever watch the show (will rectify that this season when the Brits fight), but when I see them announce as having come through the Contenders on a show it gets my attention. They feel like genuine prospects coming in.

I think there's a future for TUF though, I just think they need to come in with a bit of a gimmick again, or put coaches in place that will make for good TV. To be fair, they probably expected more from Pena and Nunes but outside of Pena putting it all into the coaching aspect of it, it was a bit naff. I don't know how the application process goes for TUF these days, but surely they should be looking for fighters with a personality that's gonna shine in a reality TV aspect, it feels like that kind of thing has been completely abandoned. Get some nutcases in there.