Bellator 274 - Gracie vs. Storley (Feb 19th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Saturday coming...

original-1643332535.thumb.jpg.67049fa184ada0ec7a3be6cc53ce4492.jpg

Main Card:

Neiman Gracie vs. Logan Storley

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Chance Rencountre

Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Adam Piccolloti 

Davion Franklin vs. Said Sowma

Prelims:

Aviv Gozali vs. Bobby King

Deanna Bennett vs. Justine Kish

Brennan Ward vs. Brandon Bell

Jordan Newman vs. Cody Herbert

Justin Montalvo vs. Corey Samuels

Isaiah Hokit vs. Theodore Macuka

Orlando Mendoza vs. Jonathon Dilorenzo

Mandel Nallo vs. Nick Browne

Christian Edwards vs. Kevin Hayley

Jaylon Bates vs. Chris Disonell

Not the most star studded Bellator card but theres lots to like.

The prelim order is probably all to fuck but some of my favorite Bellator fighters are buried down there, including the returning Brennan Mandel Nallo one of the weirdest fighters in the sport, and Aviv Gozalo who subs everyone in a few seconds.

The main card is very much a Bellator hardcore's type card. Gracie/Storley is solid, its a big fight at 170lb and considering this is a powerhouse wrestler against a Gracie, i expect it to play out on the feet.

Andrey Koreshkov gets a late replacement in Chance Rencountre. Rencountre had a few fight stint in the UFC that i have no recollection of.

Sowma/Franklin are two of Bellators newer heavyweight prospects, Sowma coming off a win against former champ Vitaly Minakov.

I'll look into a few more of those fighters on the prelims, there's usually some interesting stuff there which flies right under the radar.

Dunno how much love this will get, but its clashing with a weak UFC card, so i'll likely lean towards watching this.

Speaking of the prelims, Brennan Ward is back for the first time in five years. Used to be a favourate back in the day, was a super exciting fighter to watch. Thought he was going to go on to bigger things in Bellator, but it never came to that. Also thought he came across as one of those Team Alpha Male-esque meatheads, and a little delve into his Wiki proves thats the case:

On July 4, 2016, at approximately 12:10pm, Ward was arrested by the Waterford Police Department on the charges of breach of peace, interfering with a police officer, threatening a public safety officer, and assault on a public safety officer.[31] According to the police report, an inebriated Ward got into an altercation with his female companion (who was also arrested for breach of peace) and subsequently resisted arrest by physically and verbally assaulting the officers present. Officers were also unable to process Ward at the time of his arrest due to his continued belligerence as he repeatedly banged his head on the Plexiglas divider of the squad car and “continued extreme aggression” in his jail cell. Ward proceeded to call three of the four policemen by their first names as well as threatened them and their families. Police also noted that Ward urinated all over the floor and door of his jail cell. He was released on a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on August 16, 2016.[32] In December 2019, news surfaced that Ward was sentenced to 120 days in prison and is expected to be released early 2020.

Looks like hes clean and sober now, and hes still only 33, so will be very interesting to see how he gets on. Heres an article that I found when searching for him, havent read it yet but will have a gander at it at some point:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/01/brennan-ward-opens-up-drug-addiction-bellator-retirement-rizin

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members

Yeah, sounds like he was a right handful away from the cage, looks like he's got his shit together though which is good to see.

Ward was always must see in-cage, a proper do-or-die fighter. He only went to a decision once in 20 fights.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:48 PM, Egg Shen said:

Gracie/Storley is solid, its a big fight at 170lb and considering this is a powerhouse wrestler against a Gracie, i expect it to play out on the feet.

Correct! Unfortunately so, as well, because apart from a spell in R4, it was a dull 5 rounds of standup, with no activity on the ground, which was a shame.

The rest of the card was enjoyable. Franklin is great to watch as hes constantly trying to decapitate the other guy. Has that Ngannou vibe of scary power. Great return for Brennan Ward, and fair play to his opponent. He was 10-10 going into the fight, so obviously not the highest level of opponent, but he stood there and traded with Ward, which is clearly the most stupid thing you could do from a gameplan point of view, but it made for a great fight.

Koreshkov landed a super nasty spin kick to the ribs. Looked brutal. The Piccolotti fight was a fun ground scrap as well.

• Paid Members

C07_3230.0.thumb.jpg.bd79e6bee58fa26a703599be9e37fb2e.jpg

Koreshkov has finished people with kick before too. Devaststing.

They've announced Koreshkov as Paul Daley's final opponent for the London card. Rough fight to go out on.

I didn't see the main event but caught the highlights, there was no footage rounds 2 and 3 included which kind of says it all 😄