Strange school traditions

HarmonicGenerator

Sorry for the double post but I have just remembered an absolutely incredible incident from one of our talent shows.

Again, this was 98/99 sort of time period so everyone was obsessed with WWF, South Park, Nu Metal etc. Truly the peak of culture. A bunch of guys had formed a band and were scheduled to do a Rage Against the Machine cover at the talent show. They were introduced, came on stage, took off their jumpers to reveal DX tops as the frontman bellowed "BREAK IT DOWN!" and they launched into the DX theme. 

I'm actually laughing out loud right now remembering this one guy in my class getting thrown out of the assembly hall during this. For some reason it absolutely whipped him into a frenzy and he was up on his chair giving it X-Pac style SUCK IT gestures.

Beautiful memories.

• Paid Members

I guess this counts as a tradition. Every year at my primary/junior school we had a School Fete. That isn't odd obviously. What was was every year we had a tombola stall which people were encouraged to bring in items for it (food, drink, toys etc). Every year we were left with one item. A single tin of Mutton. Every year it would be part of the tombola, every year it was packed away. I left the school in 1995. Even returning in 2000 the same tin of Mutton was still there to be found. 

Weird things we did:

Similar to above, we used to throw items of stationary out the 3rd floor window and one of the not very bright kids went down to get it.....not taking any of his stuff with him so once he came back up with his ruler, out went his text book. Next up was his pencil case and only when his bag and coat went out in a double-team move did he work out to take everything with him...!

In electronics I was in a class with basically the dumb, lazy and special needs kids. We had these benches with vices on the sides, much the same as in DT/woodwork/call it what you will. One day this kid decided to find out how tight he could twist the vice with his other hand in it. Needless to say within 2minutes all 4 limbs were attached across 2 benches and he was sort of hanging like a deformed human sized spider. Funniest part was when the teacher came in and asked what was going on so we naturally answered 'no idea Miss, he did it himself!' Took her 3-4 seconds to work out it was impossible for him to have done it. She just told us to undo it and let him down...

Also had a time in French with a teacher who frankly couldn't give a toss and tried to speak French to us but had no hope as we cared even less. She used it as time to mark the other classes work. We used it to burn stick men and smiley faces into the carpet with Lynx and a lighter.

And now I wonder why I didn't get far in life...