The PFL Thread (Ngannou vs. Ferreira - October 19th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Didnt end up seeing the main card cause i got drowned in Boxing and UFC stuff. What a weird ending, guess they run it back at an even bigger arena next time? 

As for that weird KO. Has there been anything else made of that? It looked to me like Groguhe had a bit of a breakdown and just wanted to be knocked out. He walked out with no music, and didn't look interested before it started. I aint sure if it that was his style as much it was there was something wrong with the fella.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

As for that weird KO. Has there been anything else made of that? It looked to me like Groguhe had a bit of a breakdown and just wanted to be knocked out. He walked out with no music, and didn't look interested before it started. I aint sure if it that was his style as much it was there was something wrong with the fella.

Definitely had a touch of the Oliver McCall breakdown vs Lennox Lewis. Bizarre.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

PFL regular season kicks off Thursday on DAZN. Mishmash of regular PFL fighter and Bellator names that have crossed over. 

"Get your popcorn ready"

20240402_113542.thumb.jpg.b6b7795127d690f117b88cfe2fb04d37.jpg

20240402_113545.thumb.jpg.c10876661a6ff9df4f58049f81f0d732.jpg 

Blagoy Ivanov sneaking in there. I don't think id even seen that the UFC had let him go.

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread đź’°
  • Paid Members

Don’t wanna worry you @Carbomb but we discussed that not too long ago. You even called the PFL move!

On 11/7/2023 at 2:51 PM, wandshogun09 said:

This is a weird one. Taila Santos has been released from the UFC.

Don’t get it. Arguably should’ve got the decision against Valentina Shevchenko to become champion, then lost a close and competitive fight against Erin Blanchfield last time out. One of the better fighters in the Flyweight division. All I can think is that she asked for her release because there’s plenty of much worse fighters on the roster who keep getting another fight. 

On 11/7/2023 at 3:37 PM, Carbomb said:

Can only think that she's headed for the PFL - put it this way: if I were a young, upcoming, or non-main-event fighter in MMA right now, I'd be looking at the PFL for where I would seek to earn my fortune. It's quite clear that, unless you're someone the UFC values in particular, you're not going to earn that much in return for the hell you put your body through on their behalf. We saw that with the Mighty Mouse revelation.

• Paid Members

one little note for the old Pride-heads, tomorrow's main event is Team Fedor vs. Team Crocop. I'd imagine both men will be in the corners too.

R.jpg.4ee4547d5ed55d604e0bd7fcacb501be.jpg

• Paid Members

Decent opening week, not a great look for outsiders seeing that Blagoi Ivanov is having the fight of the night. There were a few standout performances though, Moldavsky looked great in the main event.

Really think the PFL's Women's Flyweight Division may be their most interesting. Really wanna see Dakota Ditcheva in with Carmouche, Velasquez or Santos. Ditcheva is blasting through everyone but there's an element of set up to all of it, given the format she's gonna have to fight one of the top women soon, going to be a massive leap.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

PFL Season Playoff's start tonight on DAZN. Feels abit flat to me, outside of Dakota Ditcheva's run it starts to feel like the Season format is going through the motions to me, but whatever, im gonna watch:

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the battle of the giants press conference and thought it was cringe worthy from the start. Having jake Paul involved was a genuinely awful decision but then having him on stage at the start trying to do a mix of introducing the fighters in both the co main and main event and attempting to do a embarrassing stand up routine with jokes that gave him absolute silence and fumbling his words throughout really didn't make the company look top tier major league whatsoever. 

Then the end getting a face off with these two behemoths and having jake Paul be the one to keep them apart and enforce them both if it did become heated his voice went 15 times higher while having a terrified look on his face the entire time. What in the world were they thinking.

That aside I'm looking forward to this and I've just realised it's happening the day after we get to corfu so I'll be watching it with a few bevs in a nice country over the moon with that one.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

didn't watch it, but have seen the uproar to what Renen Ferreira supposedly said at the press conference. Lots of misinformation out there and hard to know what he actually said.

Brett Okomoto cleared it up, saying Ferreira told him he was referring to 'in cage'. Didn't stop the knives coming out though.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Nah fuck him. It still sounds cunty even if he meant in the cage. I don’t really get how that’s supposed to make it better. He’s still insinuating that whatever he thinks he’s gonna do to Francis in the cage is gonna be worse than him losing his son. If he didn’t mean it that way, why even touch on Ngannou’s kid dying and then immediately follow up with that? It’s a dickhead move no matter how it’s translated. Just don’t mention his kid unless you’re offering condolences. And even then, bringing it up at all during a press conference feels a bit shitty to me. Give your condolences backstage or something. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Little heads up, PFL Europe Playoff's going down Saturday in Glasgow, so a nice early start time. I'm still a fan of the PFL, but i'm finding more enjoyment out of the European series at the moment, and I like this card. Just a weird mishmash of prospects and veterans. 

@wandshogun09may be interested in the fighter top right of the poster, how the hell did that come about? out of nowhere.