UFC Vegas: Vettori vs Holland - Apr 10 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

What a shit few weeks for Kevin Holland. Taking this fight was ill-advised. I know he got paid again, and if he'd landed a money shot he would have looked like a genius but all this did was highlight his flaws worse than the Brunson fight. I liked that Holland came in with a serious head on but theres no getting around the fact that he probably has the worst takedown defence in high level Middleweight MMA.

• Paid Members
On 4/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, jimufctna24 said:

I hope Perry and Alvey fuck off now.ย 

Alvey is 0-5-1 in his last 6, he could be a goner. It was a great fight though๐Ÿ˜„

The Perry bubble has well and truly burst. He had a guy in front of him that you think would have perfect for him to look decent against but he just got smashed to bits. It was only Perry's toughness that got him through.

Other random thoughts...

If you need an example on how not cutย  a post-fight interview, look at Arnold Allens. He wins a hard fought fight over a rising fighter, and basically says it wasnt good enough to warrant a fight against anyone ranked higher than him. Its the reason the man's gone 8-0 in the UFC without anyone really noticing. His style isnt flashy, and hes not finishing fights but call someone out! Say you want a top 5 ranked fighter! Its frustrating to watch. He'll likely get matched with another guy now ranked 11-15 and goes nowhere.

I worry Jack Shore may go the same way of Allen. Shore's quietly gone 3-0, he's looking wise beyond his years in terms of how he fights, but hes so nice and unassuming i could see him end up going 6 or 7 fights deep without anyone giving him a sniff of a ranked opponent. These types of fighters become part of the 'who needs them club'. Tough outs that can detail hype trains.ย 

There are pros to it. Getting experience and cage time is always gonna help, but you can end up getting stuck in a midcard rut to little fanfair.

oh, and how the hell didn't Jarjis Danho win a post-fight bonus?

• Paid Members

Thing is, though, at what point do the matchmakers take responsibility for a fighter on a long streak not getting a step-up fight? Why should it be on the fighter to play up to the circus to call people out?

Way I see it, it should be that a fighter that makes noise will have the process sped up for them, but if somebody quietly goes about getting up to something like 16-0, 20-0, then at that point, if they haven't been given a step-up fight, that's on the matchmakers. They've got one fucking job, and that's to arrange bouts for fighters who've proven they're good enough for those fights.ย 

Don't get me wrong - I do get the entertainment side of things, and I understand that those who can cut a promo will get preference, but fighters who are in the UFC are in it because they're supposed to be good at MMA, not talking. They spend months of their life training in the gym for a moment of 15-25 mins where they risk their well-being, and to think that should all go to waste just because they don't want to mumble into a mikeย after that moment is nonsense.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Thing is, though, at what point do the matchmakers take responsibility for a fighter on a long streak not getting a step-up fight? Why should it be on the fighter to play up to the circus to call people out?

ย 

Because its just the way it is. Its the way it always has been and its the way it always will be. You have to promote yourself to get ahead, especially if you aint putting in flashy, devastating performances. If fans aint invested in your career you've got a long, slow road ahead of you, there's no getting around that.

Allen is 8-0 in the promotion and from what i can see, Yuseff was the first top 15 ranked opponent he's actuallyย faced. He's climbing the rankings slowly, but its just a long winded process. He's going the Leon Edwards route.

Thing is, it wasnt so much Allen didnt get on the mic and go all pro wrestling, you dont have to do that. Allen got on the mic and pretty much said hes not worthy of fighting anyone above him based on that performance, barmy.ย 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Because its just the way it is. Its the way it always has been and its the way it always will be. You have to promote yourself to get ahead, especially if you aint putting in flashy, devastating performances. If fans aint invested in your career you've got a long, slow road ahead of you, there's no getting around that.

What happens if he reaches 23, 24, 25-1? What if he reached 30-1, and nary a word uttered in challenge?ย 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

what? ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously. Assuming he never "plays the game" or gets good at it, and continues to rack up the wins, when would it finally be reasonable to expect the matchmakers to get their heads out of their arses and give him a bout commensurate with his ability?

EDIT: Sorry, not meaning to be combative, I'm asking a genuine question about taking the argument to a logical conclusion, mainly because we effectively did come to it in the past, with DJ.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

He'll get there eventually if he keeps winning, he's just making it a very slow process. Most of the fighters ranked above Allen have won less fights in the UFC, that tells you everything you need to know.

ย