UFC Vegas: Vettori vs Holland - Apr 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a pretty strong card from top to bottom, there's a familiar face in each of the fights. The card lost a bit of star power with Darren Till dropping out but I love Holland so I would love to see him pull off the upset and get a win here. 

Vettori is a pure meat head and he's pretty easy to dislike, he always seems to have a real chip on his shoulder and I don't think his fellow fighters like his personality much. He is exciting though and it's going to be a fun fight either way.

• Paid Members

Till’s still at it. 

E88BE3E0-54DB-464C-9B61-A76297A22FE4.jpeg

Got to think that fight is bound to happen one way or another down the road. If Vettori loses tomorrow I’d rebook it next. If he wins then it’s got to be either him or the Whittaker vs Gastelum winner against Adesanya. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Just learned that Kyle Daukaus vs Aliaskhab Khizriev is off as well. COVID’s fault. Was looking forward to that as well. On paper it sounded like a bit of a grappling war. Hopefully they keep that pairing together and it gets rescheduled for a later card.

I’ve updated the opening post with the (hopefully) final bout order.

And don’t forget, early start for this one. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Really enjoyable main card, apart from the main event which ended the night on a downer.

Hollands KO of Jacare was just 4 months ago. Just goes to show you how cruel a beast MMA is, as his stock has crashed from one of the most hyped fighters in the UFC, to a complete after thought now. Plenty of rebuilding for him now. His standup still looked OK during this one, but theres clearly plenty of work to do with the takedown defence. Vetteri gets paid I guess, but this win did nothing for him.

The rest of the main card was cracking, I thought. Perry is as tough as hell and always a good watch. Great little scrap with Rodriquez. Mackenzie Dern recently is looking like a different animal from the one who kept missing weight. Even her standup is looking way improved. She could end up being a big problem for Zhang or Thug Rose fairly soon if the improvements keep happening.

Marquez/Alvey was a belter. Both guys getting rocked multiple times. Plenty of heart shown by both. Allen/Yusuff was a good scrap too.

Throughly enjoyable show that was. I love Holland but man does he need to move down to 170 lbs. Even if he fixes his dire wrestling he's still going to get man handled by the big boys at 185. He clearly is something special on his feet so if he takes some time off, fixes his wrestling and sorts out his diet he could quite easily go on a decent run at welterweight.

Arnold Allen looked great in rounds 1 and 2, he kind of coasted the 3rd round and I liked how he was aware that he really needs a finish to get a big fight.

Marquez and Alvey was great whilst it lasted, Alvey is a tough son of a gun and Marquez shits charisma. Can't wait to see him again.

Dern looked great, she has one game plan but it's very effective. If you can stop her from going on top you are ok, but the minute she grabs ahold of you, then you're in trouble. Not sure who is next for her, maybe the lady who beat Ribas in her last fight?

I think Perry will get given one more chance and if he loses that, then he's gone. No loss really, his last few fights haven't been all that exciting to watch.

Makesi and Ignacio was a straight up war, I loved every second of it and Ignacio came away looking good even in defeat.

Jack Shore didn't look that impressive but as a welshman I am excited to see him again. The fight was just a bit flat.

Happy to see a DWCS S4 alum in Impa winning....but very sad to see Knight losing, I thought Knight had some good upside and a decent future. He was a big underdog here and it appears it showed.

• Paid Members

Yet again, solid show with a flat main event. Feels like we’ve been seeing that a lot lately, doesn’t it? Looking back over recent cards, with the exception of Ngannou vs Miocic 2, we’re on a streak where 5 out of the last 6 main events have been either lacklustre or anti-climatic. Started with Gane vs Rozenstruik and since then we’ve had Blachowicz vs Adesanya which wasn’t much cop, Edwards vs Muhammad which ended on an eye poke, then Holland just getting shut down by Brunson and Vettori. Don’t mean to be negative and, like I say, there’s been some really good stuff on each of the undercards. But surely we’re due a banger main event. If Whittaker vs Gastelum somehow shits the bed next week then my hopes aren’t high for the rest of 2021.

So yeah, Vettori vs Holland was what it was. Not even gonna moan. Vettori had a late switch of opponent and simply followed the blueprint laid out by Brunson the other week. I thought Holland looked better here in spells than he did against Brunson, and I liked that he at least knocked the clowning about on the head and appeared to take it more seriously, but it played out pretty much the same. People are shitting on Holland’s wrestling online and I get why because it’s been made really apparent that he’s lacking in that area over these last couple of fights. But that flaw has always been there with him. Pretty much every loss of his career came via grappling. It’s not something he’s going to improve on overnight, there’s no quick fix where wrestling is concerned. But it also seems like he’s just not that arsed to plug those holes in his game either. I saw a post-fight quote where he’s saying something like “I’m not gonna change how I fight just because everyone wants to wrestle me”. That’s cool and everything, just get used to the feeling of losing. This quote from Travis Lutter is telling as well...

B14-A89-BD-ABC8-45-E7-8472-F75174-F03-B5

Sadly it seems like he just doesn’t have the drive to go the extra mile. He’ll still be fun to watch with the right opponents. But it seems the ceiling is lower than many thought. And although he’s shown a weakness in grappling in the past, now it’s been exposed on a bigger scale in back-to-back main events, everyone’s really got the playbook on him now. Vettori did what he needed to do but it wasn’t really the type of performance that’s going to have anyone screaming to see him get a title shot. I wouldn’t mind seeing him and Adesanya go again, to be honest. But they might as well wait and see how Whittaker vs Gastelum plays out next week now and go from there. You’ve got to think if Whittaker wins that one, especially if it’s convincing/a stoppage, he’s got the title shot sewn up. If that happens I’d be up for them just rebooking Vettori vs Till on one of the summer cards.

Thought Allen vs Yusuff was really good. Especially considering both had been out a while. Think that might’ve been partly why Allen sort of coasted the third. I had him 2 rounds up by that point anyway but it’s still a risky game to play with a guy like Yusuff in the opposite corner. Good fight though, hopefully they’ll both stay active now. I think there’s much better to come from both. Nice to see how respectful they were after the fight as well...

Marquez vs Alvey was a right scrap. Best thing Alvey’s been involved with during his entire UFC stint for me this. And he still lost. 

ADE3-A997-4414-4-C77-A463-F3-B2-BAFB2-F3

Bonus! Marquez is always good value. Again, hopefully he keeps active now. He’s been great already this year. Although I didn’t know what the shite he was banging on about in his interview after. I like him but I hope he doesn’t try to force a wacky shout out after every fight now. The Miley Cyrus one was quite funny and it was around Valentines Day so made sense. But it’ll get old fast if he tries to shoehorn a new one every time. 

Mackenzie Dern continues to look better each fight as Dai and Zebra said above. I really think having her baby has completely rejuvenated her and given her the focus and motivation to really make a run. It’s weird because you’d have thought given her history of missing weight that she’d struggle even more with that when she returned, but she’s been like a different woman. Hasn’t missed weight since she’s came back from her maternity leave, looks in the best shape of her life physically and she’s gone 4-1 with 3 first round submissions and 3 POTN bonuses. I don’t fancy her chances against Shevchenko but I don’t like anyone’s chances against her at the moment. But at least she’d be a different type of challenger for Val. There’s some potentially tricky fights for Dern beyond the champ as well though. For one, I think her and Tatiana Suarez could be a very intriguing battle of BJJ vs Wrestling when Suarez returns. This was another strong showing though. Nina Ansaroff...sorry Nina Nunes (when did that happen?) just had nothing for her once it hit the mat.

I enjoyed Rodriguez vs Perry quite a bit. Perry got his face smashed in for most of it. Always a pleasure. 

Solecki vs Miller was a bit deflating to watch as a Miller fan but Solecki looks fairly promising. 

Nice to see Gamrot get a big finish. This is how most expected his debut to go but it didn’t pan out. This was quite impressive though. Holtzman’s no contender but he’s tough and hadn’t been stopped until his last fight with Dariush. Looking forward to seeing more of Gamrot. He’s in shark infested waters at 155 but maybe he’s a dark horse. We’ll soon find out.

Makdessi vs Bahamondes was indeed the highlight of the card. Excellent fight. You can tell Bahamondes is gonna be exciting to watch against pretty much anyone but it kind of baffled me how Makdessi was able to land at will on him despite Bahamondes having all the physical advantages that should’ve made it difficult. Makdessi is a crafty vet though. Didn’t go in expecting much from this so I was pleasantly surprised.

Oh and Jarjis Danho brought that Heavyweight goodness. Fuck me...

71DF7713-0D90-40FC-BEB2-8AD7BC6EB8D3.gif

Wand, luckily for Dern she is a straweight, so wont have to face Shevchencko for the time being. At the moment she probably doesn't have enough to beat most of the top 5, but give it some time and she could cause some problems for them. I assume there will be a big jump in her ranking soon, but most of the top 6-10 at the moment are decent matches for her (Waterston, Torres, etc). 

Also forgot to mention how huge Amanda Nunes looked when she hugged Dern. Never really thought there would be that much of a size difference

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Dai said:

Wand, luckily for Dern she is a straweight, so wont have to face Shevchencko for the time being

Ah right you are. Don’t know why I got the divisions mixed up there. She’s probably got a better shot at beating Zhang than Shevchenko I think. Could be an interesting one down the line. Still really like the idea of the Suarez fight as well, although I wouldn’t like to see Suarez thrown straight into a fight like that immediately on her return. Again, one for the future. I can definitely see Dern at least getting a shot at the title at some point. Like you say, there aren’t many matchups I see as particularly difficult for her on paper on the way to the title fight.

Oh yeah, meant to say, I quite liked the new Venum gear the fighters were all wearing. Not a massive difference to the Reebok stuff but it’s definitely an improvement to me. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Oh yeah, meant to say, I quite liked the new Venum gear the fighters were all wearing. Not a massive difference to the Reebok stuff but it’s definitely an improvement to me. 

Are they sticking to that shitty, needless thing of not allowing fighters to get their own sponsorship?