SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I really enjoy To The Five Boroughs if we're taking Beastie Boys, but Licence To Ill is a great album as well. 

41 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

@SuperBacon,Are you familiar with mid 90's emo because Braid's 'Frame and Canvas'  seems to be a proper outlier on this list?

Yeah, I am VERY familiar with it (Do You Know Who You Are? is probably touching my top 5 albums of all time list) but that is one album that has eluded me for years as I really didn't like The Age Of Octeen and wasn't a huge Hey Mercedes fan when I was younger, so thought it was time to give it a go, as per the 'rules' of the thing.

Edited by SuperBacon

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Got a bit sidetracked with this and just catching up.

The Downward Spiral by NIN doesn't fuck about does it? Jesus Trent, LIGHTEN UP BRO!

Enjoyed it though, although I don't know if that's the right word. It was just so oppressive. 

I remember buying The Downward Spiral when I was about 13. I'd seen and enjoyed the Closer video on 120 Minutes on MTV2, seen that they were the band that Limp Bizkit sampled on the song Hot Dog - which was massive at the time - so I went out and got the album. 13 year old me definitely was not ready for it. I gave it a go a few times but it always just fried my brain so I ended up selling to a second hand CD shop.

In the past year or so I really got back into NIN after listening to a lot of Reznor & Ross' soundtrack work and putting on Pretty Hate Machine one day after hearing Mary Anne Hobbs play 'Head Like A Hole' on 6Music while I was at work. I think I can now appreciate their music as I've got older, and reading about the making of the record is pretty cool too. Trent bought the house that the Manson family murder Sharon Tate in and recorded it all there. Named it Pig Studio after the message smeared in blood on the walls.

Trent Reznor is easily in my top 5 musical heroes of all time. The man is a genius in my eyes. If you had told me 20 years ago while I was trying to get my head around The Downward Spiral that this man would go on to be nominated for a Golden Globe and (shortlisted, and most likely nominated too) for an Oscar for his soundtrack to a Disney Pixar movie, that would have finished me off and I'd have packed my bags, strapped myself to a rocket and fired it into the sun.

Bob Dylan-Blonde On Blonde. Nice album.

He is still (and will probably always be) the worst gig I've ever been to, but this was a lot more enjoyable, and not at all as po-faced as I thought it would be. 

spacer.png

Also, no idea how it has eluded me this long for a full run through but Ultramagnetic MCs-Critical Beatdown is incredible. I had no idea this album was so far ahead of its time in terms of the sampling, sound etc. Top shit.