Bellator 239 - Ruth vs. Amosov (Feb 21st)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

B239_1920x1080_tunein.jpg?quality=0.85&w

Ed Ruth vs. Yaroslav Amosov

Brandon Girtz vs. Myles Jury

Tyrell Fortune vs. Timothy Johnson

Javi Ayala vs. Valentin Moldavsky

this probably doesn't classify as a big show so dunno if it really warrants a thread but i enjoyed the 238 discussion and as was mentioned there, setting a up a thread stops these kinds of things getting lost in the shuffle. Plus ive got an hour to kill in work so here goes:

Along with that, this card is has some names on it which may be prominent players by the end of the year so it'll be worth a look...

Ruth/Amosov - Bellator are clearly high on Ed Ruth. When they stuck him in the Welterweight Grand Prix he was darkhorse to win it based off his 3 time NCAA Championship pedigree but he was outgrappled by Neiman Gracie in the opening round. Despite the loss he signed a contract extention won 2 comeback fights and Bellator have put him in the main event. Amosov is yet another Russian monster thats thats starting to dominate in America. 3-0 in Bellator (albeit against decent but shopworn opponents) and a ridiculous 22-0 overall. This is a great fight where the winner will emerge as a legit title contender to Douglas Lima. Pretty high stakes here.

Girtz/Jury is a bit of a brain vs. braun fight. You know what you get with Girtz, he'll bite down on his mouthpiece and goto war, Myles Jury on the otherhand is a technician. A couple of years ago id have heavily favoured Jury but after a long lay off due to injury and confidence issues then stinking it up rotten in his Bellator debut against Benson Henderson you have to wonder what Jury has left despite being only 31. I'll take Girtz for the upset.

Fortune vs. Johnson - Fortune is one Bellator's project fighters that they've nurtured straight out of college. He's very quietly gone 8-0 in Bellator but this is his biggest fight to date by some distance. I dont even recall seeing Fortune fight to this point as he's been buried on undercards. 29 years old with a highly successful wrestling background behind him, he could become a contender. Timothy Johnson is just there to try and provide some kind of test, nothing pretty about what he does, just a big, tough, rugged muthafucker with a cracking moustache. 

Ayala/Moldavsky - 2nd heavyweight fight on the maincard. Ayala was last seen punching Frank Mir's teeth through his skull at Bellator 212. He trades wins and losses but is usually pretty good value to watch. Moldavsky is a Sambo champion out of Fedor's fight team, he's 9-1 with a couple of real solid wins already. Winner here could be close to a shot at Bader in a thin division, keep an eye on it.

That'll do me. I'll add a few links and stuff as the weeks go by and stuff, this one is still 3 weeks away but no harm in getting it up early :)

This thing should air live on Sky Sports.

17 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

this probably doesn't classify as a big show so dunno if it really warrants a thread

This is the MMA forum and Bellator are the number 2 promotion, so why not? It's not as if we're overrun with threads in here anyway. Helps everyone know what's coming up and so on.

Edited by David

• 2 weeks later...

Amasov vs Ruth was ugly at times and both were clearly knackered by the end of the 2nd round, but Amasov got the best of the action for the most part. I had him winning all 3 rounds. 

The biggest story from the undercard was Fortune getting knocked out cold by Johnson. Few saw that one coming. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Amasov vs Ruth was ugly at times and both were clearly knackered by the end of the 2nd round, but Amasov got the best of the action for the most part. I had him winning all 3 rounds. 

The biggest story from the undercard was Fortune getting knocked out cold by Johnson. Few saw that one coming. 

Wasnt the most exciting card but Johnson KOing Fortune was note worthy. I've seen Johnson a couple of times before and he was one of the few heavyweights I would have told you didnt have knockout power.

Edited by ElCece