The Great UKFF WrestleMania Survey

tiger_rick

Very first memory of WrestleMania...

WrestleMania VII, my mate showed me his video of it and I wasn’t that interested.  But then I got into the blue bordered cards, and we got cable, and I was hooked. The first one I watched as a fan was Mania VIII, I was well into the top storylines and thought it was amazing. Seeing them walk out into the epic crowd through that neon entrance set.

Favourite WM is...

24, I think. Loads of really good stuff on it, and my favourite, Edge, had a brilliant main event.

If you could change one Mania match result...

Undertaker vs Lesnar. If they’d paid it off properly with Reigns, fine, but they fucked it, so I’d rather it just have not happened. I’d have had Reigns break the streak at 33 instead.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very first memory of WrestleMania...

Wrestlemania 18. Before I was a fan of wrestling I was a fan of wrestling games. I got the DVD for this free with one of the Smackdown games in Woolworths, and boom, my love of wrestling was born.

Favourite WM is...

Wrestlemania 30. I also like 19 quite a lot, but the feel good story of Daniel Bryan and ‘Taker’s streak ending means this one trumps it for me.

Least favourite WM is...

This is a hard one. I’ve found a lot of the recent Wrestlemanias hard to love based on their length alone. That said, the match quality on the whole is much better than some of the earlier events. I’ll go with 34. I felt utterly drained after that show. It was a perfect combination of being overly long and overly bland.

Favourite Mania match is...

Shawn Michaels vs Ric Flair. ‘I’m sorry, I love you’ is one of my favourite moments in a match ever.

Worst Mania match is...

Reigns/Lesnar last year. Obviously there are worse matches from a quality standpoint, but I was completely apathetic to this and the match did little to win me over.

Favourite Mania match for a midcard title (if not mentioned above) is...

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James. The Women’s title obviously wasn’t what it would become back when this match took place, so I’ll count this as mid-card. I loved the build and wound up being massively invested in this. It didn’t disappoint.

Favourite Mania gimmick match is...

Undertaker vs Ric Flair. I feel like this isn’t talked about anywhere near as much as it deserves to be. I loved it.

Most under-rated Mania match is...

It’s perhaps not the MOST underrated, but I loved Finlay vs JBL. It was really good!

If you could change one Mania match result...

Charlotte/Asuka comes to mind. It feels like there was far more upside to Asuka winning this than Charlotte.

Favourite WM set/setup was...

Can’t say I have one.

Favourite WM image is...

Probably Daniel Bryan after 30. I felt hugely emotional watching that. 

• Paid Members
On 4/5/2019 at 3:32 PM, BomberPat said:

I watched Wrestlemania IX recently, and honestly really enjoyed it. Obviously I'm doing that through knowingly nostalgia-tinted glasses, and knowing what to expect, but there was something about it that felt like a company proud of what they've achieved, but not yet at the point of Wrestlemania being a self-congratulatory pat on the back. The Ancient Rome gimmick gave it a sense of levity and fun that they seem afraid to embrace now, and it just felt a lot more vibrant and less self-conscious than modern WWE does.

Even though it's a show full of non-finishes and a ludicrous amount of ref bumps, it's just sort of fun to watch now. Even the Undertaker/Gonzalez match is broadly kind of fine, not as awful as I was expecting, because it serves a purpose, as is unlike anything else on the card. I've definitely seen far worse, and would watch that again over any number of meaningless Dolph Ziggler matches.

It's not great by any means, or even necessarily any good at all, but it's just enough to be a shop window for the WWF and this mad cast of characters, which as Liam says, would intrigue someone enough to check out more content and get even more hooked. 

I've been meaning to make a post along similar lines as I also watched it recently and surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it. It's totally unique, bright, colourful and fun. The Headshrinkers vs Steiners is a great little scrap. The end is still a bit weird, and the Money Inc/Hulk and Beefcake match really drags, but I think years of being told it's the worst Wrestlemania ground it's reputation so far into the dirt that I was pleased to discover it wasn't covered in dog shite. 

Wrestlemania XII however, now there's a show that suffers on rewatch. 

Archived