Skateboards, BMX and Fruit Booters

Kaz Hayashi

• Moderators

That's awesome! Maybe one day I'll be able to kickflip. Wouldn't bet on it though...

We've got a miniramp not too far but the nearest actual skate park is not that close. At the moment though just having a decent smooth flat surface is enough for my daughter and we've got that just behind the house so that's great.

I got a longboard a few years ago, and skateboarding just seems far too much effort now. You literally need to push once every 20 seconds and it’s like a monster truck ploughing over twigs/rocks/low gutters. Perfect if you just want to cruise around.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I'm still skating. Usually go to our local indoor once a fortnight with a few mates on a lunchtime. Hoping to get out for a few early morning sessions too now the weather is improving. It's been over 6 years since I started back and it's kind of defeating how much I've regressed since. Hitting the deck at 40 doesn't feel great. 

I did manage a 13 mile skate round London on Big wheels last weekend though. Started at Hyde Park with a nice loop around Maida Vale and back. The basic skating appeals more to me these days than landing tricks that are likely to break me. 

Edited by Bus Surfer

Can anyone recommend an off-the-shelf board for a rider who is *cough* a mite heavier than he was previously?

I got a basic board last year to get back into it; kick-turning and winding along on a downhill was fine, but every time I went to push off, the wheels would bite. I know board spec and being out of practice are obviously factors, but being 3 stone heavier than when I was last doing it regularly (albeit still in decent shape) just might have something to do with it too.

I've not got the funds to sink into a fully custom rig, so any advice or recommendations for a big boy board would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 8:31 AM, Bus Surfer said:

I'm still skating. Usually go to our local indoor once a fortnight with a few mates on a lunchtime. Hoping to get out for a few early morning sessions too now the weather is improving. It's been over 6 years since I started back and it's kind of defeating how much I've regressed since. Hitting the deck at 40 doesn't feel great. 

I did manage a 13 mile skate round London on Big wheels last weekend though. Started at Hyde Park with a nice loop around Maida Vale and back. The basic skating appeals more to me these days than landing tricks that are likely to break me. 

Fucking hell. There needs to be a warning if audio is going to contain Jump Around aka the worst song in the world ever. I'm thrilled you're still skating but I'm going to have to rescind my upvote, I'm afraid.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Tried my hand at shuvits this evening. I know they're super basic, and I was only landing about one in ten by the end of the session, but still very proud of the incremental improvement I'm making, and very pleased at how physically exhausting it is - I had started running again this year but this is so much more satisfying a cardio workout.