UFC Fight Night: Chiesa vs Lee - Jun 25

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

yep, the McGregor effect is trickling down, i love it but i agree that forced trash talk is a bit painful to watch...im all for guys selling a fight and trying to drum up interest though. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer when guys just do their own thing and let the fans decide. If someone's got an interesting personality or backstory then cool, if not, then that's cool too. not everyone can be a star.

The current crop are actually lazy fuckers. Just stick on a suit, talk shit and wear shades. Fuck that. Faber became a star in the sport by epitomising his California background and lifestyle. Randy Couture was the square jawed all-American wrestler who defied the odds, GSP is the French talking Canadian star with the winning smile and wholesome attitude. Chuck had the tattooed dome and the KO attitude. Tito had the blonde hair and shite shorts. 

Maybe showing my age, but I preferred when the stars were all individuals rather than bland dudes trying to rip off the latest fad.

• Paid Members

i still think there's a decent crop of unique characters within the sport, there's also a bunch of try-hards but i think the cream will always rise to the top in terms of fan adulation. It's something that always fascinates me because sometimes people you never expect too connect with the fans.

44 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i still think there's a decent crop of unique characters within the sport, there's also a bunch of try-hards but i think the cream will always rise to the top in terms of fan adulation. It's something that always fascinates me because sometimes people you never expect too connect with the fans.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of unique fighters, but don't you think they're all trying to copy the actions of McG rather than do something that will make them stand out from the crowd?

Aside from Cody of course, who's doing his best to bring back the stereotype of the tattooed cage fighting fuckwit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So this show has creeped up on me as well, with the glut of shows every weekend. I've picked Boetsch, Siver and Chiesa, but I hope I'm wrong with the Siver pick. In a perfect world BJ KO's Siver in the first round, get's booked in a winnable fight on a possible show in Hawaii, wins, and then retires. I'm very much wishing for Tim Boetsch to wreck Hendricks as well, and think there is actually a good possibility of that one. 

• Paid Members

I'm mixed on it. You can't win either way with him. If he gets battered it's sad to watch but if he wins he'll be convinced he can win the title again and he'll carry on. I don't think there's ever been a case with another UFC fighter where it's been more obvious that it's over. It's worse than Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes at the end for me now. At least those guys still had something offensively. BJ goes out there and moves like my grandad. It's like he freezes and can't pull the trigger and that's the total opposite to BJ Penn in his prime. His timing has gone, his aggression has gone, his reflexes have gone, his speed has diminished, his power is probably still there but he doesn't throw enough, the legendary balance is no more. His chin isn't what it was but it's still good, but that just means he takes more punishment. It's a disaster.  

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

He missed 185? What the fuck man? Fat bastard. 

He weighed 188lbs. Granted, it's only 2lbs over the allowance for middleweight, but the whole reason he moved up a weight class was to avoid situations like this. Hendricks joins Anthony Johnson, John Lineker and Thiago Alves as fighters who have missed weight in two different weight classes.

• Paid Members

Win, lose or draw tonight it doesn't sound like BJ Penn's stopping fighting anytime soon :( 

"That's exactly why I'm fighting - I love to do it. Don't get me wrong, we believe we can go as far as we want to go, but on the other hand you'd say why do you want to go that far? Because I love it. It's fun. I'm not going to sit here and say it's all that I know, but it's one of the things that I know very well."

"It's easy doing what you love. I love waking up and going to the gym and getting a great workout in and getting those endorphins going. Just living the life of a fighter. There's nothing more pleasing and pleasurable to me." 

"It's just too fun. I just love it."

As a general rule, I'm rather ambivalent towards Michael Chiesa. But I do hope he chokes out Kevin Lee into oblivion. I feel similarly about Tom Boetsch in relation to Johny Hendricks; I’m ambivalent towards Boetsch, but I hope he knocks Hendricks into the stratosphere with a few well placed uppercuts. Justine Kish knocking seven bells out of Felice Herrig wouldn’t go amiss.

• Paid Members

It's definitely a card where I'm firmly in one corner for most of the fights. Chiesa over Lee, Boetsch over Fatty, Kish over Herrig and Moroz over Esparza would do nicely. 

Penn vs Siver, like I said above, I have mixed feelings about. It's weird because BJ Penn is one of my favourites and one of the fighters who hooked me into MMA. Obviously, for that reason I'll always want to see him win. But if he wins tonight it's just going to further convince him to keep going and no-one wants that. 

It's not even like there's any appeal in him going to Bellator either because who do they even have for him to fight? The young top 145/155ers there would smash him and there aren't really any 'legends' fights like they do at 205 and heavyweight. There's nothing out there for him. Does anyone want to see BJ Penn vs Royce Gracie in 2017? 

He really should've stayed retired after Frankie Edgar mauled him in their third fight. At that point it felt like the fight was completely gone out of him and he finally seemed to accept that at the post-fight presser. Now here we are 3 years later and he's still taking beatings. 

I expect this to be a night where main card carries the bulk of the action. I think Penn's only chance is that the more normal looking Siver lacks the power and precision he once had. It's not much of a chance but at least it's a chance.

Chiesa by Submission
Boetsch by KO/TKO
Kish by Decision
Reyes by KO/TKO
Means by Decision
Siver by KO/TKO
Koch by KO/TKO
Miranda by KO/TKO
Esparza by Decision
Powell by Decision
Quinones by KO/TKO
Martin by Decision