General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

New Stamford Bridge will plainly be the best stadium in London when finished, because it will still be a mere throw of a stone away from the Fulham Broadway Travelodge, white proudly sits above an Iceland and has bogs that explode when you flush.

PunkStep, I have been once and the MK Dons stadium, apart from being empty, was OK. My main problem is that it's in Milton fucking Keynes, the home of second exit roundabouts and the resulting mental trauma brought by your satnav saying 'at the roundabout' for eight hours.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

No, I meant the 3 games but you wally!!! ;)

Sorry, mate, you've lost me.

EDIT: Your edit has cleared things up :)

EDIT 2: If Underhill was still viable, I'd have been down to play a season there. Loved Underhill.

• Paid Members
Just now, SuperBacon said:

The implication being that you think we'll only get to play 3 home Champio----ah forget it...

No, you lost me before your edit. I now get it.

But yeah, I didn't want to get ahead of myself. Of course I will be obtaining home tickets all the way until we're knocked out by fucking Basel or whoever.

14 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

We're not selling Eric Dier. Fuck off. 

Dier's a Man United supporter and would be played in his favoured position at United (defensive midfielder), which he hasn't been doing at Spurs thanks to Victor Wanyama. I would be very surprised if he doesn't try to force the move when Levy declines United's bid.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, L_E_T_H_A_L said:

Dier's a Man United supporter and would be played in his favoured position at United (defensive midfielder), which he hasn't been doing at Spurs thanks to Victor Wanyama. I would be very surprised if he doesn't try to force the move when Levy declines United's bid.

Oh, yeah, he said when he was at Lisbon that it'd be his dream to play for United. I'm not saying it'll never happen but, and I can't believe I'm about to say this: not this summer. Just can't see Levy selling Walker AND Dier in one summer. Plus, Dier isn't going to leave his bessie mate Dele behind just like that.

Oh, god. They're both going to go to United :(

It's a real shame for Dier, actually, that Wanyama came in and was so good because Dier is really, really good in that central role and will only get better. I wonder if there isn't a way to accommodate them both in there. It'd require some tinkering, and then you've got Winks and Dembele to think about, but I could see it working.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Twickenham Council said no.

Maybe you could use your Lib Dem influence? 

Thats a shame as it's a great ground with decent rail links and not bad to reach through most routes. Plus you could've bought knock off gear from all the scrotes that come over from the estate I grew up on next door :)

• Paid Members

Haha, fuck. I wish there was an actual leadership contest now, just so I could go to a hustings and say to Vince  "I'll only vote for you if you sort out this Twickenham deal for Chelsea. Don't make me go to Milton Keynes".

3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Haha, fuck. I wish there was an actual leadership contest now, just so I could go to a hustings and say to Vince  "I'll only vote for you if you sort out this Twickenham deal for Chelsea. Don't make me go to Milton Keynes".

AFAIK it's actually the RFU which has scuppered Chelsea's hopes of playing at HQ for a few years. If it comes down to some sort of planning decision, then it'll go to the Twickenham-based Richmond-upon-Thames Borough Council, which unfortunately is Tory-run at the moment. The fact that Vince is once again the MP for the area doesn't really do anything to remedy that. There hasn't actually been a 'Twickenham Council' since 1965.

Wembley it is, then. That's a far from ideal solution, but Milton Keynes getting Premier League football via the back door would be a travesty. 

• Paid Members

I do quite a lot of work with Richmond council Gus. I'll put a word in. 

Edit: wow it's really impressive fog dude just knew that off the top of his head. 

25 minutes ago, Duke said:

I do quite a lot of work with Richmond council Gus. I'll put a word in. 

Edit: wow it's really impressive fog dude just knew that off the top of his head

Nah, I'll hold my hands up about that. I had to look up which exact year Twickenham disappeared (then almost didn't mention it), and also double-checked that Richmond is definitely run by the Conservatives right now. I just thought it was odd for Gus to make a reference to the long-defunct 'Twickenham Council' making the decision when he's a smart guy who normally knows all things Chelsea like the back of his hand and, as SuperBacon pointed out, has political insider knowledge.

The footballing point stands though – there's a lot more to object to about the possibility of Chelsea moving to Milton Keynes for a few seasons than just how difficult (or otherwise) it'd be to get to and what the atmosphere might be like.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Nah, I'll hold my hands up about that. I had to look up which exact year Twickenham disappeared (then almost didn't mention it), and also double-checked that Richmond is definitely run by the Conservatives right now. I just thought it was odd for Gus to make a reference to the long-defunct 'Twickenham Council' making the decision when he's a smart guy who normally knows all things Chelsea like the back of his hand and, as SuperBacon pointed out, has political insider knowledge.

Nah, you're not wrong, I do know the dull details with the RFU (and was quite annoyed at the implied snobbery of football fans spoiling a rugby area) . Just posted "I'll lobby Vince" because it's a touch funnier than saying 'I'll lobby Twickenham-based Richmond-upon-Thames Borough Council". Plus I couldn't be arsed to type out 'Richmond-upon-Thames Borough Council' when the conversation was pertaining to Twickenham Also, as Bacon alluded to, I do quite a lot of stuff for the Lib Dems in my spare time.

Anyhow, we've sold Nathaniel Chalobah for peanuts.

On 30/06/2017 at 8:49 AM, Gus Mears said:

Another depressing episode in the WINDOW OF DOOOOOOOOM! which I am prophesying. 

Yeah, fair enough. I got what you meant about jokingly lobbying Cable. Not sure now why I read the earlier post as you thinking that Twickenham Council is still a thing, to be honest. And hey, if someone bigs up your political credentials there's no need to play them back down again!

As for Twickenham the area, I think that neighbourhood has a reputation for snobbery beyond just being the home of the national rugby union stadium, but a low opinion of football supporters is definitely part of the locals' attitude. You're probably better off at Wembley than there.

Archived