The 2016 UKFF50: The Results

Linus

• Moderators

Surprised Brookes is so low there. He's really good, although yeah, lots of people in this list are going to be really good.

The Midlands/Wales scene has the buzz right now, and a lot of what could be termed "opinion formers" live in the right area to give it attention but it isn't necessarily that widely seen yet I don't think. The other places he has worked a lot are Southside (which probably doesn't get the attention it deserves), and wXw (which is still fairly niche I think). In 2016 he worked 2 matches for ICW on English tour shows, 0 for Progress, 0 for Rev Pro, 0 for the dreaded WCPW, and 0 for northern promotions such as PCW, Tidal, FutureShock...so I wasn't surprised he is this low. I have never seen a Chris Brookes match for instance.

If the Wales scene had so much buzz people would have finally put Mean Tommy Dean in here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

First year on the list for someone with less than two-years' experience.

He's been wrestling for several years now.

Debuted on April 19 2015.

I definitely wrestled him in 2010.

Oh, I know he said he trained before on Tuesday Night Jaw and then got hurt and took years out. Didn't realise he'd actually had matches!

Surprised Brookes is so low there. He's really good, although yeah, lots of people in this list are going to be really good.

The Midlands/Wales scene has the buzz right now, and a lot of what could be termed "opinion formers" live in the right area to give it attention but it isn't necessarily that widely seen yet I don't think. The other places he has worked a lot are Southside (which probably doesn't get the attention it deserves), and wXw (which is still fairly niche I think). In 2016 he worked 2 matches for ICW on English tour shows, 0 for Progress, 0 for Rev Pro, 0 for the dreaded WCPW, and 0 for northern promotions such as PCW, Tidal, FutureShock...so I wasn't surprised he is this low. I have never seen a Chris Brookes match for instance.

If the Wales scene had so much buzz people would have finally put Mean Tommy Dean in here.

:)  OK, I should have said Midlands/ATTACK!

• Paid Members

No. 30 - Grado

Twitter: @GradoWrestling

Entrance theme: “Like A Prayer” by Madonna

Total 1st place votes in 2016: 0

UKFF UK50 History:

24th in 2013... 9th in 2014

Regular promotions during period:

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)...  Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... WCPW nationwide

Grado1.png

Becoming a household name in Scotland, with mainstream TV & pantomime appearances by the hatful. Won the title at the climax of the recent World Of Sport revival, and continues to be used as a comnedy foil in TNA. Save for his US appearances, he rarely works outside Scotland these days but has made in-roads with WCPW.

UKFF says: The closest thing we have to a household name. If ITV Wrestling makes it on any level it will be thanks to him. Nailed on will be on an I’m a Celebrity or Celebrity Big Brother by December.”

Linus says: Grado is a star. Yeah, he may not be YOUR idea of what a star looks like, wrestles like, or talks like, but you cannot deny his appeal. Wrestling needs its Grados and we're all better off for having them.

• Paid Members

No. 29 - Chris Ridgeway

Twitter: @chrisXriddy

Entrance theme: “Cheer Up London” by Slaves

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

PCW in Lancashire... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... HOP:E in the east Midlands... Southside in middle England... Grand Pro-Wrestling in Wigan... Alpha-Omega in Morecambe... Premier British Wrestling... Just Do Wrestling! in St Helens... VII Pro-Wrestling in Telford... Vertigo Pro-Wrestling in Cardiff

1.jpg

This tattooed brawler moved from Barrow to Liverpool and saw his bookings increase as travelling became easier. Exceptionally-talented, he's been used strongly in Alpha-Omega but is yet to settle into a groove anywhere else. Was a part of ICW's big show in November, and worked Sami Callihan for Southside.

UKFF says: “Could be a big star, made immediately positive impression in PCW.”

Linus says: The first few times I saw Chris he was used as a babyface and, while his work was fine, it just didn't click for me. Then I saw him play heel and it all fell into place. I get the feeling that he's better utilised as a focus rather than an attraction, and regular bookings & storylines in 2017 will play into his strengths.

• Paid Members

No. 28 - Noam Dar

Twitter: @NoamDar

Entrance theme: “What’s The Story, Morning Glory?” by Oasis

UKFF UK50 History:

11th in 2014... 4th in 2013... 2nd in 2012... 19th in 2011... 43rd in 2010

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... PCW in Lancashire... WCPW nationwide... RevPro in London (and the south east)... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr

NoamDar1.png

Little introduction should be needed for Dar, who finished the year as a regular on WWE Raw and the 205 Live cruiserweight show after an impressive showing in the Cruiserweight Classic during the summer. He'd already been earmarked for NXT before that as a result of consistently good performances for ICW, PCW (where he held the Heavyweight title during the summer) & RevPro this year, as well as across Scotland.

UKFF says: “Great wrestler and always looks slick in ring.”

Linus says: I was happy to see Dar signed after his CWC run, during which his character work didn't come across as strongly as it had done on the UK scene. Thankfully, he's been thrown straight into storylines on Raw, which should play to his strengths, not that his ability is in any way in question.

• Paid Members

No. 27 - Kenny Williams

Twitter: @Kenny WilliamsUK

Entrance theme: “The Power Of Love” by Huey Lewis & The News

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland...  British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Main Event Wrestling in Newcastle... PCW in Lancashire

Kenny%20WilliamsKenny.png

One of the stars of the recent World Of Sport show on ITV, where he won a ladder match in spectacular style, Williams grew in 2016. Participated in PROGRESS's Super Strong Style 16, and won the ICW Zero-G title at the huge Fear & Loathing IX show in front of 6000 people.

UKFF says: “Well, Kenny is the bollocks isn't he? A consistently strong performer in ICW, and he also had a great showing in PROGRESS's Super Strong Style 16 weekend of shows this year. A talented performer who is just fun to watch, and who really seems to connect with the crowd whenever he's on a show.”

Linus says: Kenny really is "the bollocks", never failing to impress on his rare visits down south, and remaining a firm fan favourite north of the border. Selfishly - and perhaps for his further development - I'd like to see him wrestle more in the Midlands and the south east, but he certainly impressed when given his chance on ITV on New Year's Eve.

• Paid Members

No. 26 - “Iron Man” Joe Coffey

Twitter: @Joe_Coffey

Entrance theme: “Iron Man” by Black Sabbath

UKFF UK50 History:

24th in 2014... 38th in 2013

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WCPW nationwide... PROGRESS in London & Manchester... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Discovery in Edinburgh... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... WWWL... Scottish Wrestling Alliance in west Scotland... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... 5* nationwide... Target on the English/Scottish borders... Source Wrestling School in Glasgow

Joe%20CoffeyJoeCoffey.png

Managed to do a full Scottish schedule as well as make several forays down south. Headlined ICW's Fear & Loathing IX against Kurt Angle. Losing finalist in PROGRESS's Atlas Division tournament for big lads. Made his Fight Club: PRO debut against fellow former-Zero1 dojo trainee Travis Banks. Teamed with his brother on the World Of Sport revival, and was used extensively by WCPW across England. Part of the set-up at Mikey Whipwreck's Source Wrestling School.

UKFF says: Nothing.

Linus says: Joe is not my cup of tea, although I acknowledge I'm in the vast minority on that. He works hard in the ring when others might rely on such a great look, and has one of the more "singable" themes on the UK scene. It's both a positive & negative that he got involved with World of Sport and ruled himself out of the WWE UK tournament.

• Paid Members

No. 25 - “The East End Butcher” Sha Samuels

Twitter: @ShaSamuels

Entrance theme: “Commit Me To Memory” by Castiel

UKFF UK50 History:

38th in 2014... 44th in 2013... 24th in 2011... 30th in 2010... 35th in 2009... 37th in 2008... 42nd in 2007.. 20th in 2006

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... PCW in Lancashire... Rev-Pro in London (and the south east)... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... IPW:UK in Kent

img_4284.png

Entering the veteran stage of his career yet still in high demand, the East End Butcher (a case of art immitating real life) does most of his work in Scotland these days. An ICW regular - he was part of Team Dallas at the massive Hydro show - where his tag-team with Kid Fite exploded into acrimony this year. Did good snarling work as Dave Mastiff's henchman on the World of Sport revival, and took on Tomoaki Honma at RevPro's Global Wars after beating Moose at Summer Sizzler.

UKFF says: “As old school as old school can get. Sha Samuels is a fantastic no thrills heel. Samuels knows his job and that is to get the babyface over. He does this without a fear of looking foolish himself, unafraid to bump all over for the babyface shine. Samuels doesn’t try to be the cool heel - a dying breed in Wrestling.”

Linus says: One of my biggest regrets about missing so much of the rise of the UK wrestling scene is that I missed Sha Samuels in his prime. He's still a formidable opponent and always an absolute joy to watch, though, and the rare times when I see him - usually for RevPro since he stopped working PROGRESS - are special treats.

• Paid Members

No. 24 - “Textbook” Tyler Bate

Twitter: @Tyler_Bate

Entrance theme: “Sledgehammer” by Peter Gabriel

UKFF UK50 History:

28th in 2014

ATTACK! in the south west... Kamikaze Pro-Wrestling in Birmingham... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton & Manchester... Southside in middle England... Over The Top Wrestling in Dublin (and Ireland)... WCPW nationwide... PROGRESS in London & Manchester... VII Pro-Wrestling in Telford

5b300c89574a5122bfbbf78bbc8b9bb5.png

Chosen to be a part of the WWE UK tournament, and in the middle of the action as part of British Strong Style in PROGRESS. Incredibly popular in Ireland for OTT, and can be relied upon for a great technical encounter wherever he’s booked. Not afraid to show his lighter side, in ATTACK! and elsewhere. Made his RevPro debut at Global Wars. One half of Moustache Mountain, with Trent Seven (they won the Chikara Parejas titles), and half of The Fuckers with Chris Brookes. Has a lovely mum.

UKFF says: “For such a young age, his development this year has been scary. It’s almost unfortunate that he’s with WWE now as no doubt he’ll be on a full time contract by December. Will be the best wrestler in the world within 5 years.”

“It's become almost cliched to mention how young Tyler Bate is, but my god he's accomplished for someone of such a young age. Generally working baby face Bate has also excelled since turning heel and joining the villainous British Strong Style stable in PROGRESS recently. With Moustache Mountain partner Trent Seven, he won CHIKARA's Campeonatos de Parejas, and the Chikarmy really seem to have taken to the Brits. Tyler is another one I'm excited to see how he does in the WWE's UK championship, and I see a bright 2017 ahead for him.”

Linus says: Still incredibly young, Tyler has built momentum over the years at ATTACK! & Triple-X and turned it into an unstoppable force. He’s another that will be in a much advanced position in a year’s time – either a regular for WWE at some level or coming off that WWE UK contract with interest in Japan.

Re your point on joe Coffey, as a face also does little for me. When he uses size and is more aggressive, really different animal. Would love to see him push that more this year

Archived