The 2016 UKFF50: The Results

Linus

• Paid Members

Here it is - for the twelfth consecutive year nominations have been made, votes have been cast and we now have a fully ranked and ordered list of wrestlers to comprise the finalised 2016 UKFF UK50.

Before I get to the results, just a reminder of how we got there. In Stafe One, I invited UKFF members to submit their unranked nominations for 15 wrestlers that they felt deserved a place somewhere in this year's UKFF UK50.  That first stage produced a clear 50 names without any ties, so there was no need for the second round vote-off as has taken place previously.  Once we had our 50 names, the final stage saw UKFF members this time submit their own top 15 from those 50, ranked in order of preference.  I collated and counted the votes (using a simple mathematical scoring system of 15 points for a first place, 14 for a second etc. all the way through to 1 point for 15th) and totaled the scores.

As always, the rankings are based on the following criteria:

Upon what criteria are the rankings based?
All the way through the process, nominations and votes should be made based on British wrestlers' in-ring performances you have seen on shows that took place between 1 January 2016 and 18 December 2016. The key points around which the rankings, nominations and votes are based include:

- whose in-ring performances are the most gripping, convincing and enthralling?

- who is consistently involved in great matches?

- who is able to tell the best "story" through their performance?

- whose performance is able to capture the crowd's interest and make them emotionally invested in the match?

- who actually makes pro wrestling enjoyable to watch with their performances?

All that remains is for me to thank each and every person who took the time to put together a list of nominations or votes, especially those who clearly put a lot of thought into their lists and the supporting comments.  This project has seen varying levels of interest over the years, but it really wouldn't be anything if people weren't interested.  Yes, thank you very much.

So, ladies and gentlemen, for the TWELFTH STRAIGHT YEAR, I now present your UKFF UK50:

=No. 47 - "Blackbelt" Tom Dawkins

(AKA: Pure Britannico, Pavo Real)

Twitter: @Blackbelt_TD

Entrance theme:

Total 1st place votes in 2016: 0

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

Regular promotions during period:

Lucha Britannia in London... IPW:UK in Kent... WrestleForce all over the south east... XWA in Colchester... Future-Pro Wrestling in Surrey... WAW in Norfolk

Hz9FTMOt.jpg

A six-year athlete who made his debut for LDN Promotions after graduating from the IPW:UK training school, Dawkins has slowly carved himself a name as an exciting high-flyer with a devastating array of kicks and strikes. Despatched Will Ospreay in a Loser Leaves IPW:UK match, ended the year with the XWA title, and is testing a new, darker gimmick at Lucha Britannia’s Resistance Gallery.

UKFF says: Nada!

Linus says: When people ask for someone who will make the break-out in 2017, Dawkins is one of the names I always give. I saw him regularly at Lucha Britannia, where he formerly worked as Pure Britannico, and in February of this year he had a match with Will Ospreay’s Neo Britannico which would have been a standout on so many shows. He’s become the standard-bearer for a growing XWA and his regular stints for IPW:UK – now on FloSlam – will introduce him to a new audience.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

=No. 47 - Stevie Xavier

(AKA: Stevie Boy)

Twitter: @StevieBoyXavier

Entrance theme: "War Boy" by Chris Mitchell

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Southside in middle England

VYNhxEzQ.jpg

Breaking out of the Bucky Boys in 2015, Stevie Xavier has spent the year trying to establish his own identity, but has been more effective as part of the soon-to-splinter New Age Kliq and with his real-life girlfriend Kay Lee Ray. Had a casket match at the huge Fear & Loathing IX show, and ventured down south with Southside, as well as working the usual Glasgow/Ayrshire promotions.

Linus says: It’s tough for such a strong character, so identified with a specific product, to break away and make an impact beyond its confines. Stevie is a perfect fit in ICW and consistent and repeated visits to more varied promotions (outside the west of Scotland) will only serve to display his undoubted talents.

• Paid Members

=No. 47 - James Davis

Twitter: @LondonRiotsJD

Entrance theme: “Diesel Power (remix)” by The Prodigy

UKFF UK50 History:

19th in 2014

IPW:UK in Kent... PROGRESS in London & Manchester... PCW in Lancashire... Southside in middle England... Future Pro-Wrestling in Surrey

0-7m-06p_400x400.jpg

One half of the London Riots, injury, availability – and the whims of some promoters – have seen Davis and his partner, Rob Lynch, embark on more singles outings this year than in recent times, and both have benefitted from that. The Riots held tag-team gold in PROGRESS & IPW:UK this year, and made the trip over to Canada to represent PROGRESS at SMASH Wrestling.

Linus says: Although he’s ever-so-slightly less-charismatic than his Riots partner Rob Lynch – a fact perhaps reflected in their respective rankings – Davis is a guaranteed solid performer, one who you have no doubts about upon seeing his name on a card. The Riots definitely work better as a team, and an injury-free run in 2017 could see them back amongst the UK’s best.

• Paid Members

=No. 47 - Iestyn Rees

Twitter: @iestyn_rees

Entrance theme: “Kids” by Sleigh Bells

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

PCW in Lancashire... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... UPW in Weymouth... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayrshire... PROGRESS in London & Manchester... wXw in Germany

2.jpg

Eight years into his career and Iestyn Rees is establishing himself as one of the better big men on the UK scene. Currently holding the PCW championship – won from WWE-bound Noam Dar – Rees has had a strong year which has seen him feud with Chris Masters in Preston over the Alpha/Master Lock, become an established member of the ICW roster, and debut for PROGRESS in their Atlas Division.

Linus says: Given most of his work is in Preston and Scotland I’ve not seen much of Rees this year, just the odd PROGRESS appearance. Although a little generic for my tastes, he’s highly rated by promoters and fans where he competes as a regular, although he rarely seems to make that huge impression needed to break through to the next level. The opportunities provided by WWE-UK and World Of Sport in 2017 should suit him perfectly.

• Paid Members

No. 46 - Davey Blaze

(AKA: Davey Boy)

Twitter: @DaveyBlazeUK

Entrance theme: “Fleeto” by DJ Manky

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Rock N Wrestle in Inverness

66VCKGm9.jpg

Twenty-three years old, but already with seven years experience, Davey is another graduate of the Kid Fite/Colin McKay school. Split from his Bucky Boys partner Stevie Xavier in 2015 and has spent 2016 trying to establish his own character. Began the year as ICW Zero-G champion and can consider himself unlucky to have missed out on much more than the opener at the huge Fear & Loathing IX show at the Hydro.

Linus says: Working almost exclusively in Scotland (and on our in England & Wales with ICW), Blaze flies well under my radar and I expect the same is true of many other midlands & southern-based graps fans. From a distance he's less of an exciting prospect than Xavier but if he can find that fire (pun intended) that's missing, he can still carve out a niche for himself.

• Paid Members

No. 45 - "Flying" Mike Bird

Twitter: @FlyingMikeBird

Entrance theme: “Maiden, Mother & Crone” by The Sword

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

ATTACK! in the south west... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Pro-Wrestling Chaos in Bristol... Pro-Wrestling Evolution in Gloucestershire...  Dragon Pro-Wrestling in Newport... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton... VII Pro-Wrestling in Telford

Bird.png

The former head trainer at the Dragon Pro-Wrestling Academy, and thus responsible for many of the top Welsh talents of recent years, Bird took a step back this year and upped his travels, becoming a regular in ICW with his tag-team partner Wild Boar. Started to make in-roads into PROGRESS, and has used a heel turn in ATTACK! to great effect.

UKFF says: “Back when I first started going to Britwres shows in about 2004/5, Flying Mike Bird was this scrawny little ginger kid doing sloppy highspots and seemingly working in slow motion at times for someone his size. After a fairly extended break from going to shows, it amused me greatly when I started going again in 2012 and he was now Ginger Jesus and head trainer at the Dragon Pro Academy. One of the most consistently solid performers in the country, he was the highlight of the Attack! Pro title tournament with blinding matches vs Zack Sabre Jr in the quarters and Eddie Dennis in the final, the latter of which is up there with Mandrews vs Hero for my favourite match I’ve seen live in 2016.”

Linus says: The "Ginger Jesus" completely changed his look and attitude in 2016, going for trunks and a shaved head over his old gimmick, and his work has stepped up to match. Never a disappointment, Mike - along with Trent Seven - has become the oldest new discovery for many people, and is still earning new admirers with every match.

• Paid Members

No. 44 - "Calamari Catch King" Chris Brookes

Twitter: @OBEYbrookes

Entrance theme: “Human Fly” by The Cramps

UKFF UK50 History:

First year on the list

ATTACK! in the south west... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton & Manchester... Southside in middle England... IPW:UK in Kent... Kamikaze in Birmingham... VII Pro-Wrestling in Telford... IronFist in Hereford... Dragon Pro-Wrestling in Newport... Vertigo-Pro in Cardiff... wXw in Germany

img_7280.jpeg

One of the hardest-working independent grapplers in the country, Brookes wrestles anywhere and everywhere as a first class heel. Trained by the Hunter brothers, his style is very technical, but with an array of suplexes quite literally thrown in. Held tag-team gold in ATTACK!, the Shotgun title for wXw, and was the last ever VII-Pro British Lions champion. Regularly teams with Kid Lykos as #CCK and with Travis Banks as the Inter-Coastal Violence Factory.

UKFF says: “I bloody love Chris. He’s the only Britwres guy I’ve ever bought a t-shirt of. But at the same time I feel like I shouldn’t love him so much because he’s done so much over the past two years to cement himself as heel and maybe it’s to his detriment that he still comes across as likeable, even when he’s spitting water at me. Mind you, the Love Making Demon might have something to with that… If there’s anyone I’d like to see go far, it’s Chris Brookes.”

Linus says: I saw more of the midlands/south Wales crew than any other group of wrestlers in 2016 and Brookes was a highlight of any show he appeared on - even one where GOOD Wrestling attempted to use him as a babyface! There is a rumour that he also moonlights as a French sex-pest but this cannot be confirmed or denied. With #CCK getting IPW:UK bookings - with that sweet FloSlam exposure, 2017 could be Brookes' year.

• Paid Members

No. 43 - "The Showstealer" Nathan Cruz

Twitter: @Nathan_Cruz90

Entrance theme: “Showstealer”

UKFF UK50 History:

20th in 2013... 18th in 2012... 20th in 2011... 38th in 2010

NGW in Yorkshire... PROGRESS in London & Manchester...  All-Star nationwide... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... WAW in Norfolk... MegaSlam nationwide

ZgXaQrpr.jpg

Ten years into his career, the inheritor of Alex Shane's "Showstealer" mantle works all over the UK. Honing his craft with All-Star & MegaSlam dates for the foam finger brigade, Cruz is equally at home with more sophisticated fare, and has played his PROGRESS role to perfection. Held the PROGRESS tag-team titles with el Ligero for the first part of the year and spent much of 2016 as NGW Undisputed champion before losing to best friend Matt Myers last month. Made his first in-roads into the US, with appearances for Evolve, CZW, IWA-MS and - most notably - NXT.

UKFF says: “I hate this bastard and don’t even want to put him on the list. But because I hate him he has to go on the list. One of the best heels in the UK he can draw some quality heat with his cocky demeanour and unlikeable personality. The leader of The Origin in Progress the most hated group in the company. Cruz builds up his heat and is not afraid to let the fans get the payoff by taking bumps in hard hitting matches.”

Linus says: For me, Cruz is one of the most underrated talents on the scene, which is quite something given his pedigree and his position in the promotions he does work. You cannot fault his in-ring, his promos have gravity, and he has a charisma that is hard to match, but his bread & butter bookings for the family promotions may have gotten in the way of more high profile showcases. Those NXT & Evolve bookings will go a long way towards deciding his 2017 direction. Upwards, if there's any sense.

Davey Blaze is superb, always brings an intensity in the ring and is probably the best comedic relief in ICW on a consistent basis. That's two years in a row now he's opened Fear and Loathing on massive stages and had belters.

Stevie Boy has suffered a bit from being mixed in with the messy NAK storyline this year but in ring he's been class all year. He had an incredible match with Renfrew that stole the show when ICW ran the Brooklyn Bowl earlier in the year.

As more guys leave ICW for the States both of these guy should be getting pushed right up the card.

• Paid Members

No. 42 - BT Gunn

Twitter: @BT_Gunn

Entrance theme: “Psycho” by Psyko Dalek

UKFF UK50 History:

43rd in 2013... 37th in 2012... 29th in 2011... 29th in 2010... 30th in 2009

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Rock N Wrestle in Inverness... Glasgow Pro-Wrestling Asylum... Target on the English/Scottish border... Main Event in Newcastle... Discovery in Edinburgh... Southside in middle England

BT%20GunnBTGunn.png

Gunn survived the implosion of the New Age Kliq in 2016 to continue to team with Chris Renfrew across Scotland's promotions. Appeared on the Fear & Loathing card in a coffin match against Stevie Xavier. Made in-roads into England, although continued to do most of his work locally in Scotland. Current PBW & BCW Heavyweight champion, reigning PWE tag-team champion, and BCW & Target tag-team champion for much of 2016.

UKFF says: Um...

Linus says: Almost a complete unknown to me, since I don't watch ICW and never venture far enough north to see him in the flesh! Those I've asked about him speak of him as a decent hand.

• Paid Members

No. 41 - Wolfgang

Twitter: @WolfgangYoung

Entrance theme: “Run On” by Neil McDougall

UKFF UK50 History:

29th in 2013... 31st in 2012... 49th in 2010... 49th in 2009... 22nd in 2008... 15th in 2007... 44th in 2006

ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Premier British Wrestling in west Scotland... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire... Pro-Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Main Event Wrestling in Newcastle... PCW in Lancashire

Wolfgang.png

Cashed in his Square Go! winners' opportunity to win the ICW Heavyweight championship, and successfully defended it at the Hydro in front of 6000 people. Selected to be a part of the WWE United Kingdom Championship tournament. Helps train the next generation at the Glasgow Pro-Wrestling Asylum.

UKFF says: Not a thing!

Linus says: The only time I ever saw Wolfgang work live he received a concussion and was sensibly absent the next day. ICW is not to everyone's tastes, and Wolfgang as their champion is further divisive, but he's turned enough heads to catch the attention of the WWE, and you can't knock that. One friend I have names him as his favourite wrestler so he's doing something right!

• Paid Members

No. 40 - Wild Boar

(aka Mike Hitchman)

Twitter: @WILDBOARhitch

Entrance theme: “Midi Surf” by Mad Capsule Markets

UKFF UK50 History:

40th in 2014... 42nd in 2013... 33rd in 2012... 30th in 2011

ATTACK! in the south west... ICW in Glasgow (and nationwide)... Pro-Evolution Wrestling in Gloucestershire... Pro-Wrestling Chaos in Bristol... Dragon Pro-Wrestling in Newport... NGW in Yorkshire... Fight Club: PRO in Wolverhampton... VII Pro-Wrestling in Telford... PROGRESS in London

Boar.png

Took over the reigns at the Dragon Pro-Wrestling Academy from Mike Bird, his old trainer with whom he teams in a number of promotions nationwide. Broke into ICW this year as a tag-team with Bird, held the Chaos title throughout the year, and has been at the top of the cards in ATTACK!, feuding with Eddie Dennis and Pete Dunne throughout 2016, before reforming his tag-team with Bird there, too.

UKFF says: “Standing at a mere 5'6”, Wild Boar is not your typical powerhouse. He adds diversity to junior wrestling. Looks like a right hard ass too.”

Linus says: Boar was in the first live match I saw when I returned to watching wrestling in 2014 and the intensity that impressed me then still impresses me today. ICW might just raise his profile a little, having largely concentrated on mid-level companies in 2016.

• Paid Members

No. 39 - Rob Lynch

Twitter: @RobLynchRIOTS

Entrance theme: “Diesel Power (Pain Remix)” by The Prodigy

UKFF UK50 History:

16th in 2014

IPW:UK in Kent... PROGRESS in London & Manchester... PCW in Lancashire... Southside in middle England... Future Pro-Wrestling in Surrey

Rob%20LynchLynch.png

One half of the London Riots, with James Davis. Injuries and availability issues has seen the duo do singles duty this year but also as their usual formidable tag-team pairing. Won tag-team gold in IPW:UK, and also held the PROGRESS tag titles this year. Represented PROGRESS in Canada as part of the PROGRESS vs SMASH series of shows. Suffered a serious eye injury just before the Brixton Academy show but worked regardless.

UKFF says: “My favourite GOOD alumni, his two tag matches there and the interaction with JD - and his opponents - is fantastic.”

Linus says: If there were any prospect of the Riots going solo, Rob probably has the better chance of makin it, but there's absolutely no need for that, with the Riots being THE dominant UK tag-team. Rob has charisma in spades, and works hard for a big man, never letting injury slow him down.

• Paid Members

Surprised Brookes is so low there. He's really good, although yeah, lots of people in this list are going to be really good.

Think if Pete Dunne ends up stepping away to WWE there's every chance Brookes steps into his position in most places, as the top dirty heel. By all rights he should be on for a great year.

Archived