Your Favourite Cage Match Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not my favorite, but since this is bound to open up a bit anyway I'll second Breakdown. That's an absolute whopper of a match and a bit of a lost one. Rock, Shamrock and Foley each do a quick little interview at the start of it which adds to the build and Rock's pop is his absolute best pre title win "wow, what exactly have we on our hands here?" pop. It's just magic. The action in it reminds me a lot of a house show match. There's a lot of funny three man spots like the triple stretch, nobody liking Shamrock, then teaming up on Rock etc all building up to Foley's Snuka splash which is visually spectacular without carrying the awful retrospective weight that the guy's just battered himself that some of his other bumps now have.

It's a happy match from one of my favourite old tapes that also has a decent clunky main event with famous Vince middle finger finish and a fun opener with Edge and Owen. Breakdown 98 is a happy show.

• Paid Members

Cracking listen..... the bit by bit dissection of Shawn/Taker is fantastic, you nail all the points that made it such a great piece of work from entrances to fade out.

I'm also with you, Liam, that 2005 was the best Elimination Chamber. I'm tempted to make a case for 2010's "Shawn costs Undertaker" effort just for the story but from bell to bell 2005 is better.

A bit odd but the one thing that always stands out to me was the start of Summerslam 90 cage match is when Rick Rude runs up to Ultimate Warrior and goes to hit a knee to the stomach. But Ultimate Warrior was still wearing the WWF belt so Rude sells it like he's broken his knee. Made me laugh

But favourite cage match, the first Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at No Mercy (?) 2002. Loads of blood, Taker's bad hand, Heyman screaming like a lunatic and two hunks of bat crap crazy arse kickers smacking each other around. Love this match, really made m love Brock Lesnar at the time. 

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/eq2jp8/SCG_Radio_87_-_Favourite_Cage_Matches_Ever_.mp3

Join us for our show looking at Your Favourite Cage Matches Ever! Discussing all forms of cage warfare, including Elimination Chamber matches, War Games, Hell in a Cell and more, we talk about countless classic encounters in an effort to explore cage matches done right. Looking at Magnum Vs. Tully, Taker Vs. Shawn, The Dangerous Alliance Vs. Sting's Squadron, Bret Vs. Owen, Angle Vs. Benoit, Armageddon, The Final Conflict, Duggan Vs. DiBiase, Steiners Vs. Money Inc, Savage and Adonis Vs. Bruno and Santana, AMW Vs. XXX and many many more, we run the gauntlet on bloodbaths and daring escapes. A really fun show, check it out and let us know what you think!

Archived